A Dramatic Rise in ATM Skimming Attacks

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Krebs has an article on ATM skimming every few months. I think this one well worth reading, and watch the video. More prevalent in US and Europe too! I'm going to practice doing a much better job of covering my hand when entering the PIN. In our last trip to Europe we used ATMs pretty heavily. Only at banks, but I'm not so sure that's secure anymore.http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/04/a-dramatic-rise-in-atm-skimming-attacks/

A comment pointed out that only the first of five people hiding their hand is effective. I noticed that too.

About a year ago Krebs had a series on Bluetooth compromised ATMs in several major resort areas in Mexico. In this case I'm not sure any hand covering would help because machine internaks were compromised?

Last edited:
I always thought the camera angle would be from the side. Will try to upgrade my technique. Thanks for the link.

I always thought the camera angle would be from the side. Will try to upgrade my technique. Thanks for the link.

Using something large to cover your hand - a purse, paper, etc. seems to be far more effective than using your other hand.

For me maybe my cell phone or wallet.

Look at the video. Those were too small, IMO. A half piece of paper or largish brochure would be better.

Or a piece of clothing like a hat or jacket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom