Documentary - Sugar Coated

Can you give us a hint what it is about? :)

Can you give us a hint what it is about? :)

I am not good at giving synopsis, but here it goes...

It's a documentary about how the sugar industry manipulated the public and denied the fact that sugar was toxic, the same way the tobbaco industry used to do in the 80's even when they knew smoking was bad for you.

Guidelines for sugar consumption have been changed for some countries and some extra measures have been put in place to improve the public health in some countries like Canada and Japan, but not in the US as of 2015 when the film was made. The film is following the movement to expose the toxicity of sugar (which would most likely cause unsustainable increase in health care cost for the younger generations) while focusing on the people who are trying to make the change. Taubes is in the film throughout. There is a pediatric endocrinologist who is featured throughout the film also - He has been finding way too many kids who are obese, diabetic, and with fatty liver diseases and it is his mission to change the industry.

Last edited:
My wife and I watched this awhile ago. It was interesting in particular in regards to a battle for many years between those that felt sugar was a big contributor to obesity vrs others pushing to blame high fat foods. Also the efforts of the sugar industry to oversell their product and deflect all criticism (without regard to potential validity). However we felt the film lacked enough unique content overall for the time invested. Felt like one long commercial against sugar which repeats many of the same points.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My wife and I watched this awhile ago. It was interesting in particular in regards to a battle for many years between those that felt sugar was a big contributor to obesity vrs others pushing to blame high fat foods. Also the efforts of the sugar industry to oversell their product and deflect all criticism (without regard to potential validity). However we felt the film lacked enough unique content overall for the time invested. Felt like one long commercial against sugar which repeats many of the same points.

I agree. I recently watched "Fed Up" (another documentary about over consumption of sugar) which had some overlaps with this and this film itself repeated the same theme in different ways, but I like to watch these periodically to remind myself of the effect of sugar.

I am not good at giving synopsis, but here it goes...

It's a documentary about how the sugar industry manipulated the public and denied the fact that sugar was toxic, the same way the tobbaco industry used to do in the 80's even when they knew smoking was bad for you.

Guidelines for sugar consumption have been changed for some countries and some extra measures have been put in place to improve the public health in some countries like Canada and Japan, but not in the US as of 2015 when the film was made. The film is following the movement to expose the toxicity of sugar (which would most likely cause unsustainable increase in health care cost for the younger generations) while focusing on the people who are trying to make the change. Taubes is in the film throughout. There is a pediatric endocrinologist who is featured throughout the film also - He has been finding way too many kids who are obese, diabetic, and with fatty liver diseases and it is his mission to change the industry.
Thanks! Very good synopsis. :)

I'll watch it. I've definitely felt the addictive qualities of sugar; I've been addicted most of my life. I even blame being bottle fed at an infant.

Coincidence... As I was reading the beginning of the thread,DW and I were discussing kids. and what we remembered of the time when ours were growing up.
A little bit different, but she said "When the kids were growing up, they didn't have soda or chips, or candy during the day. Any sweets at all were considered special treats.
It wasn't because we couldn't afford these "treats"... it's just that they weren't part of our culture. We didn't have them when we were kids, and during their younger years in New England (ten different homes) in the years 1958 to 1975 or so, sweets were special event treats.
The term nutrition or obesity was not even on the horizon.
As I went back over pictures of my classmates from 1942 through the mid 1950's there were only two or three who we considered "fat" and by today's standards would be normal.

It was before the days of "wipes", and "don't talk to strangers" and when we had to be home when the street lights came on. When we ran free all day long, and when neighbor "Mr. Warburton" was not above giving a swat on the behind for taking grapes from his vines before they were ripe. Before TV, and for us, before the telephone. No little league, no Pop Warner, and no adults to supervise our games. (When we played baseball, the little kids got five strikes).

We had rules, but with both parents working, we learned to socialize by being with our peers, and it worked.

So, far removed from sugar coating, but maybe not so much. :angel:

Last edited:
Coincidence... As I was reading the beginning of the thread,DW and I were discussing kids. and what we remembered of the time when ours were growing up.
A little bit different, but she said "When the kids were growing up, they didn't have soda or chips, or candy during the day. Any sweets at all were considered special treats.
It wasn't because we couldn't afford these "treats"... it's just that they weren't part of our culture. We didn't have them when we were kids, and during their younger years in New England (ten different homes) in the years 1958 to 1975 or so, sweets were special event treats.
The term nutrition or obesity was not even on the horizon.
As I went back over pictures of my classmates from 1942 through the mid 1950's there were only two or three who we considered "fat" and by today's standards would be normal.

It was before the days of "wipes", and "don't talk to strangers" and when we had to be home when the street lights came on. When we ran free all day long, and when neighbor "Mr. Warburton" was not above giving a swat on the behind for taking grapes from his vines before they were ripe. Before TV, and for us, before the telephone. No little league, no Pop Warner, and no adults to supervise our games. (When we played baseball, the little kids got five strikes).

We had rules, but with both parents working, we learned to socialize by being with our peers, and it worked.

So, far removed from sugar coating, but maybe not so much. :angel:

Yeah, but they gave you your vaccination in a sugar cube. Evil carb pushers.

Thanks, I'll probably skip it then.

I know some people are very impressed with Taubes. He presents a lot of data, but in my evaluation, it isn't really scientific, I think it is more to impress the non-critical, non-scientific audience. That doesn't mean he's wrong, I just don't buy the reasoning he peddles.

But, out of all the fads and varying opinions of do's and don'ts over the years, I don't ever recall any serious claims that sugar is good for you (outside of a short term energy boost if needed). I limit sugary stuff, but it's not hard for me, I find most sugary things way too sweet for my tastes (swayt tay! or as we say up north "sweet tea" - I can't imagine how someone could stomach that). But I'll indulge occasionally in some sweets.

But as imoldernu says, when I was a kid, a Coke was 8 oz, no 12 or 16 oz, let alone 'Big Gulps'. I do think a lot of people today take in a lot of sugar.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I don't see the point of targeting sugar alone. People probably consume far more carbs in the form of bread and white potatoes, which spike blood sugar faster than sucrose. To do any good, a program would have to target all these high GI starches for reduction.

Most people don't understand this. They have their diet soda, yet scarf down masses of pasta, bread, potatoes, whatever.

And we know diet sodas don't seem to be helping but may be screwing up the drinkers metabolism even more - some bizarre effect.

....I don't ever recall any serious claims that sugar is good for you (outside of a short term energy boost if needed).....

Indeed, increased energy seems to be the main benefit claimed. The one that caught me by surprise was the claim to help control appetite/weight. And also surprised at the push to get kids to eat more sugar at a very, very young age. Times have changed.

Commercials

Indeed, increased energy seems to be the main benefit claimed. The one that caught me by surprise was the claim to help control appetite/weight. And also surprised at the push to get kids to eat more sugar at a very, very young age. Times have changed.

Commercials

:eek: Great commercials, Whisper. My #1 is this (with a smiling baby) "Do your child a favor. Start them on a strict regimen of sodas and other sugary carbonated beverages right now for a lifetime of guaranteed happiness." Just crazy.

I don't see the point of targeting sugar alone. People probably consume far more carbs in the form of bread and white potatoes, which spike blood sugar faster than sucrose. To do any good, a program would have to target all these high GI starches for reduction.
I haven't seen any studies showing a historical increase in pasta/bread/potato consumption, so I don't know if kids nowadays are getting diabetes Type II at an alarming rate, is related to those food items or not, but I am convinced that it definitely has a lot to do with the increase in sugar consumption.

Don't believe everything you read - they said that before the internet too! Those are fake ads.

Fact-checking • Ice Cream Motor.

Favor From Clever Dudes: jdryznar

-ERD50

LOL, that makes me feel better. I have seen enough strange cigarette ads that I thought this was real, but just over the top. There were pro-sugar ads from a Time magazine article that are similar to the ones mentioned in Whisper's posts.

Sugar Is Toxic, Says Study—But These Old Ads Beg to Differ

Last night I saw the Documentary: "Escape Fire"
It is about the medical industry/profession selling treatment and not prevention. This link has both the synopsis and the trailer. If you are interested in Prevention or changing unhealthy habits rather than just attempting treatment, stream it in. FWIW, I saw it on Amazon Prime.

Synopsis » Escape Fire

Edit: I just found it on YouTube for free:

Rich

Last edited:
Last night I saw the Documentary: "Escape Fire"
It is about the medical industry/profession selling treatment and not prevention. This link has both the synopsis and the trailer. If you are interested in Prevention or changing unhealthy habits rather than just attempting treatment, stream it in. FWIW, I saw it on Amazon Prime.

Synopsis » Escape Fire

Edit: I just found it on YouTube for free:

Rich

Very good. Thank you for sharing this, Rich. We will definitely watch it.

Most people don't understand this. They have their diet soda, yet scarf down masses of pasta, bread, potatoes, whatever.

And we know diet sodas don't seem to be helping but may be screwing up the drinkers metabolism even more - some bizarre effect.

I liked this lecture going into details why fructose (a component of sucrose) is worse than carbs.

Long story short: it only gets broken down in the liver, like alcohol, and as a consequence doesn't give a "you-are-full" signal to the brain like other food sources do. So you keep eating.

For completeness: Not saying carbs are any good.

Maybe I am just the future sugar equivalent of the 90 year old who smoked his entire life... I have been a life long sugar junkie and 2 Liter soda drinker (though I have about kicked soda habit). Never had any weight gain from sugar, (though carbs so are trying). BP fine, and no teeth problems... But I do have one quirk. I love candy daily, but cant stand sugar film on teeth so they get a good brushing shortly after consuming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robert Lustig is the doctor in Sugar Coated. I think he makes good points, but consuming too much sugar isn't the only bugaboo, which he tries to make evident.

92% of our calories comes from highly processed foods including meat dairy and cheese. Only 8% is whole unprocessed fruits, vegetables, foods grown from the earth. So we're not only sugar addicted, we're short on fiber, foods high in water, grown in the sun, nutritious and minimally processed.

But we've all been sold a bill of goods and believe eating carbs are bad, and meat/dairy/cheese and oils are healthy. With that way of thinking, there's no chance the US obesity rates have any chance of reversing.

Last edited:
But we've all been sold a bill of goods and believe eating carbs are bad, and meat/dairy/cheese and oils are healthy. With that way of thinking, there's no chance the US obesity rates have any chance of reversing.

Isn't this statement completely opposite of what would have been written 10-15 years ago? It's become clear to me that if there's one truth out there, it's that nobody knows nuttin', nohow.

For those interested in sugar, fiber and the effects on our lives here's a recent interview with Dr. Robert Lustig. It can be very technical at times, but he has good analogies that make things understandable to the lay person. Among the topics discussed are sugar, fiber, fatty liver disease, raising kids to eat right, sugar vs starch, the hazards of a processed food diet, etc. The linked site provides time markers for the various discussions. (Why don't they all do that?)

https://peterattiamd.com/roblustig/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom