Brexit!

Taxman59

Full time employment: Posting here.
Watching the BBC and MSNBC overnight news on the UK leaving the EU, I wonder if the members here are concerned about their FIRE decision.
I see the markets dropping for a few weeks followed by a slow recovery in the US. The interest rates will remain low for the next few years and US politics will just go on😩 . I think that our travel plans will include the EU and UK, but not significantly increase. The pound and Euro will fall and keep inflation down, but cause the U.S. exports to fall as the dollar rises. Overall, it will be much fanfare and noise with little long term affect on the US.

Your thoughts?

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Might buy a couple €s today.

I will be putting a buy in for DVY at 5% below yesterday's close. Pick up my July buy a little bit early.

The markets are all tumbling today so far. It might be a day for bargain hunting for those so inclined.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It's the end of the world! The incredibly efficient EU has been weakened!

Hoping that my balanced funds will automatically take advantage of this.

I find interesting the talk that now Scotland is talking about having another vote to leave UK and stay with EU.

Last edited:
Could be a good time to buy or the "wealth effect" that people feel from declining portfolios might finally push us into a recession. Time will tell.

I find interesting the talk that now Scotland is talking about having another vote to leave UK and stay with EU.

I wonder if Scotland ever met the criteria to ever actually get into the EU? Many countries in the EU are there for the handouts, Greece being one.

I think this will have little long term effect on the US markets. Could be a good sale next week. I was planning a large stock purchase the week of July 5th assuming the closing of my condo goes through. Now I will likely get a discount on that purchase so I don't mind this short 'hiccup' int he market.

This too shall pass. As I understand it they have two years to work out how the exit will really work.

Also, don't forget some time ago they said the world was going to come to an end if the Brits did not adopt the Euro in place of the pound.................

I make an annual move of shares from tIRA to roth IRA in the same mutual fund. This may be an opportunity to move a greater number of shares. It would help a little when my wife takes her first MRD next year.

Cheers!

This too shall pass. As I understand it they have two years to work out how the exit will really work.

They have two years to negotiate terms of the exit as soon as the relevant Article 50 from the Lisbon treaty is activated. It hasn't been yet.

The way it looks now Cameron will refuse to do so, and leave it up to his replacement (arriving in October).

For kicks, I'll have to look at the market tumble today with a stock ticker on my computer. I have no plans of making a knee jerk move.

Look at the bright side, at least Led Zeppelin and "Stairway to Heaven" are intact :).

A great buying opportunity for those in accumulation phase. We'll give back the good bump over the last few weeks and then some. I'm guessing that the S&P 500 declines 3-5%. I'm interested to see how bonds do to buffer that decline but I fully expect to be temporarily 2-3% poorer by the end of the day.

Bloody Brits :facepalm::D

Made no changes in the run up to this, I'm not too concerned that personally it will have that much long term effect on us. We're conservative enough in wr that our lives will go on. I'm more concerned for the longer term effect on UK and EU as more start talking referenda to leave, generally weakening of Europe (and perhaps UK depending upon your sentiment). And that cannot be good for the world IMO given the opportunistic moves of Putin and the challenges facing this part of the world. It just makes me less optimistic about solving common problems of Europe and the UK.

I find it interesting the comparison of London vote to countryside. It's very analogous to the political attitudes in our state; metro areas vs. rural. This growing phenomena of division in our countries along such lines does not bode well for our ability to seek common solutions to the problems we face I fear. Anyway, good luck to all involved.

"Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."

I find it interesting the comparison of London vote to countryside. It's very analogous to the political attitudes in our state; metro areas vs. rural. This growing phenomena of division in our countries along such lines does not bode well for our ability to seek common solutions to the problems we face I fear. Anyway, good luck to all involved.

The dividing lines are not really metro vs. rural . It's more 1) England & Wales vs. Scotland, Ireland and the rest 2) Old vs. young. 3) Poor vs. Rich and 4) uneducated vs. educated.

There is a correlation with rural vs. metro since higher educated folks tend to work in cities, but it's weaker. East London for example had a leave majority.

Nice breakdowns here:
EU referendum full results – find out how your area voted | Politics | The Guardian

It is really fun to watch when the "smart money" gets it wrong and has to scramble for the exits. It can disrupt markets for a while, but usually not that long - a month or two or three.

This type of market action says nothing about the economy. It's all about big players getting caught leaning the wrong way and having to deal with margin calls, etc. So there often is spillover. But it eventually settles down.

Any economic impact from Brexit will not happen right away, and then will be gradual.

Darn, my credit card deposit in Euros posted yesterday!

Oh well - there is quite a bit more to buy......

Ah..that is a bummer!

I agree though, looks like there could be some great deals over the next few days. I don't this "sale" lasting more than a couple of weeks though.

Just think about how much $$$ all the FAs are about to make with all the churning and burning that will start here in a matter a minutes... :mad:

I have a bunch of miles on BA from when I was working that I was hoarding in anticipation of a future trip so this may make for an opportune time to go back across the pond for a visit.

I took a screenshot of my portfolio this morning just to have something to remember it by. :greetings10: and then I put in an order for an index fund with some spare cash therein, which was sitting around waiting for a dip.

It is really fun to watch when the "smart money" gets it wrong and has to scramble for the exits..........//.........
This type of market action says nothing about the economy. It's all about big players getting caught leaning the wrong way.......

All too often, the 'educated' get caught up in believing their own hype......:)

I took a screenshot of my portfolio this morning just to have something to remember it by. :greetings10: and then I put in an order for an index fund with some spare cash therein, which was sitting around waiting for a dip.

My portfolio finally hit another milestone when I checked this week. Felt really good for a few days.

Now --- how do you say it here--- "Wheeee"

Back
Top Bottom