Anyone Else Get IRS letter asking for 8962 and 1095-A form (Obamacare) for 2015 tax?

John Galt III

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
IRS sent me a letter asking for my 8962 and my 1095-A for 2015, as well as a new page 2 of my 1040 form with the 8962 info on it. And yes, I already sent them that with the original 1040. The letter implies I did not send in an 8962 form and also did not enter the 8962 results on my 1040. I already sent in my 8962 with my 1040, in April 2016. And the 1095-A is not even required to be filed with the 1040, but they want a copy of it. I got a similar letter last year, and when I called up the IRS, they said they had mistakenly mailed out a lot of them and to ignore it. Just wondering if anyone else got this letter this year? I'm going to call them of course but want to ask here first. Thanks

There is a possibility your ID was stolen and someone else filed a 1040 with your SS #.

Your 8962 submittal may conflict with the information they have received regarding your health insurance status, they get copies of the 1095's. As much of this is relatively new for insurance providers, individuals, and employers, they may be tracking down some error made by any of the parties involved. In doing tax returns this year, I can recall getting corrected 1095s in April as mistakes were made.

And if you paper filed, it is not unheard of for the IRS to "lose" a page or two in entering information into their computer systems. Happened to me back in 2003 resulting in a 6 month back and forth correspondence with the IRS.

I'd recommend providing the information, as not being responsive is usually not good. They virtually always assume the worst (high tax) option.

Last edited:
Yes, I got that letter. But it's because HealthCare.gov screwed up something and claimed we didn't have health insurance through the Marketplace in 2015. That was incorrect and after many calls and lots of waiting our forms were finally issued in May. I had filed our taxes in April so the IRS had nothing to match the numbers with and sent us the letter.

It all worked out in the end, HC.gov got us the forms, I sent them to the IRS and we got our refund in late June.

There is a possibility your ID was stolen and someone else filed a 1040 with your SS #.

Doesn't seem likely since the IRS are communicating with him about the specifics from his file. His filing would have been rejected outright otherwise.

Thanks for the replies. I called the IRS yesterday, had a half hour wait on hold, then got a very nice lady. She said probably they lost the forms (yes, I filed with paper forms via the mail) or they were damaged, or they may have received 1095-A information that conflicts with mine. She said to fax in the first page of the letter along with the 8962 and the 1095-A and everything should be OK. That's what I'll do.

Back
Top Bottom