Leonard Cohen, RIP

I knew Leonard Cohen as the writer/singer of the song "Dance me to the end of love" that I liked.

I read that he was also a poet, and that he won a Prince of Asturias Literature Award from Spain.

A great songwriter, and that growling voice! My favorite has always been Democracy. The flow of the words with the growing intensity of the melody just grabs me. I mean, seriously, who else could write lines like "from the homicidal bitchin' that goes down in every kitchen to determine who will serve and who will eat."

He wrote the song during the time when the Berlin Wall was coming down, but as he's always been a downer her didn't think it was going to work out so well. He also said he wrote about 50 verses to the song, although there are only 3 or 4 that he recorded. RIP.

Although, I have to admit I'm pretty tired of Hallelujah.

I believe he wrote "Suzanne," an anthem of my youth.
I had a book of poetry in the 70s, Sounds and Silence, with some of his poems.

One of my favorite memories is this parody by the Austin Lounge Lizards. They absolutely nailed him.

So now I have Suzanne as as ear worm. Some truly weird lyrics, which of course we loved in those days (ala Bob Dylan):

Suzanne takes you down to her place on the river
You can hear the boats go by; you can spend the night forever
And you know that she's half-crazy; that's why you want to be here
And she feeds you tea and oranges that come all the way from China
And just when you want to tell her that you have no love to give her
She gets you on her wavelength and let's the river answer that you've always been her lover. . .

And you want to travel with her, and you want to travel blind
And you think you'll maybe trust for she's touched the perfect body (?) of your mind.

And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water
And he spent a long time searching from a lonely wooden tower
And just when he knew for certain only drowning men could see him
He said all men shall be sailors now until the sea shall beckon

I spent about three hours last night watching youtube vids of his performances. I like the later ones, but his music is timeless.

Back
Top Bottom