RIP Richard Roundtree, AKA "Shaft"

jollystomper

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Richard Roundtree, the actor best known for his iconic role in "Shaft", died recently:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...chard-roundtree-dead-shaft-roots/71307943007/

Although his movie/TV/stage acting career spanned many years, he is best remembered as John Shaft, the black no-nonsense Harlem detective, considered the first "Black Action Hero" in the movies. The movie became a big box office hit for its time, and led to many other movies in the same genre (referred to as "blaxploitation" movies, some good, some bad). And, of course, who can forget its classic theme song, a smash hit that won Isaac Hayes the Academy Award for best original song:

One of my older brothers bore a striking resemblance to Roundtree at the time, and liked to go around with a similar haircut and black leather jacket :). RIP.

Really enjoyed his acting in Shaft. Can’t say much for the rest of the movie/plot line other than great music/ sound.

He was a talented actor. And thankfully, he lived much longer than the unfortunate young man who played a modern action hero, the Black Panther. <--- died too young.

When I was a kid thought (and still think) the theme song (and the actor) were the coolest.

When I was a kid thought (and still think) the theme song (and the actor) were the coolest.

RIP-Richard Roundtree.

Yes, a very cool theme song. Lots of good intros to shows around that time.

I used to watch the intro to The Streets of San Francisco even if I wasn't going to watch the episode that evening.

Back
Top Bottom