Amazon lowers free shipping threshold to $35

I went on strike when then increased it from the original $25. And when they started collecting sales tax, I was REALLY gone. I think they got the free shipping threshold up to $49? Probably to sell prime memberships, which I never thought would be a good deal for me. I quit buying on Amazon for smaller stuff, except if I just couldn't find something elsewhere for cheaper. But it seems I could always find things from professional sellers on eBay for less than Amazon. But just yesterday I had a cart on Amazon and one on eBay, and the Amazon cart won by a few bucks, even though Amazon was charging sales tax, and the eBay sellers were not.

I went on strike when then increased it from the original $25. And when they started collecting sales tax, I was REALLY gone. I think they got the free shipping threshold up to $49? Probably to sell prime memberships, which I never thought would be a good deal for me. I quit buying on Amazon for smaller stuff, except if I just couldn't find something elsewhere for cheaper. But it seems I could always find things from professional sellers on eBay for less than Amazon. But just yesterday I had a cart on Amazon and one on eBay, and the Amazon cart won by a few bucks, even though Amazon was charging sales tax, and the eBay sellers were not.

So you file for the use tax on your state form instead?

Of course I do. I spend many hours per month keeping track of every penny so that I can make sure the state gets it's cut.

So you file for the use tax on your state form instead?

What is this thing called "use tax"? :LOL:

Just kidding. Kinda like that Barbara Mandrell song, I was paying use tax before use tax wasn't cool.

I used to keep track of each purchase and have a spreadsheet to do the calculation. This was before internet shopping go so popular. Now, I just go with the estimated use tax calculated by the state, based on income. No more detailed tracking needed and I'm probably ahead than had I calculated each purchase.

By the way, Let Amazon and Walmart slug it out. Competition is good for a shopper like me. :)

Last edited:
By the way, Let Amazon and Walmart slug it out. Competition is good for a shopper like me. :)
They had better keep slugging it out, as far as I'm concerned. :LOL:

I have not been at all happy with Wal-Mart. I order non-perishable groceries from them from time to time. In three shipments out of three so far from Wal-Mart, almost every single can has arrived very badly dented and almost every single box has arrived very badly bashed or broken and spilling out the contents.

Amazon Prime Pantry does better with no dents or bashed boxes. Both Walmart and Amazon Prime Pantry ship to my location via USPS. So far I have never had to pay for shipping for either when I buy a big box of non-perishables. Both beat the prices at local grocery stores for many of the items that I need (so those are the items that I order).

I agree, Walmart as been a major disappointment. They've moved into online shopping with the same grace that Kodak moved into digital photography. When I've used Walmart for something delivered, it takes a long time and often arrives beat up. When I've done their Ship-to-Store process, it's taken forever to get there. Then when I go in to pick it up it takes sometime a half hour before someone shows up at the pick-up spot. Then they can't find the order. Once it's found (often by me going back into the storeroom), they handle the rest of the process with the usual enthusiasm and friendliness I've come to expect from Walmart. As in not.

I order tons of stuff from Amazon. I have Prime, and I'd say I'm 98% satisfied with their process. I actually don't mind the sales tax part, as it saves me from having to track it in order to pay the use tax. There are still the third party sales with no tax, but that's nowhere near as big an issue.

If I didn't have Prime (which would mean I didn't have my business) I would probably usually wait until I had enough stuff to order to get the free shipping. So whether it was $25, $35, or $49 wouldn't matter that much. I don't usually buy pencil erasers or individual screws from them anyway.

I'm in one of the last few states that Amazon doesn't collect sales tax for. And I DO pay the estimated use tax on my state return. Living near the border of a non-tax state, I'm quite sure I beat the average.

I buy lots of small stuff on Amazon. With Prime, it's easy to just order something as soon as you think of it. I'll be working on a project and notice some materials or parts are getting low, and order more right from my phone.

I'm not looking forward to the day Amazon starts charging me tax. That would be a deal-breaker compared to picking up items on my next trip over the border. I'd have to go back to keeping shopping lists!

Like Sengsational, I stopped using Amazon when "free" shipping went up to $50. I also noticed that shipping costs at Amazon were rarely "free."

Instead, I've been using Walmart.com, where items stocked by Walmart cost the same online as they do in the store (and sometimes less!). I just received a $37.00 shipment of small items from Walmart.com. They arrived on 3 separate days, including Saturday. What I liked best about this particular shipment was the proper sizing of box/container to item. Naturally walmart.com charges MD sales tax, but many of the things I bought from Amazon also carried sales tax b/c the original retailer had a presence in MD.

Competition is our friend!

Amazon has lowered the threshold for non-Prime free shipping to $35. Walmart recently implemented a $35 threshold and Amazon appears to have decided to match it. :)

Excellent and unexpected news! As a fairly frequent non-Prime Amazon user, I found the $35 threshold pretty easy to deal with but the $49 threshold substantially less so. I've had a potential order sitting in my cart for several weeks now just because I couldn't meet the free-shipping threshold, and now looks like I can.

I'm in one of the last few states that Amazon doesn't collect sales tax for. And I DO pay the estimated use tax on my state return. Living near the border of a non-tax state, I'm quite sure I beat the average.

I buy lots of small stuff on Amazon. With Prime, it's easy to just order something as soon as you think of it. I'll be working on a project and notice some materials or parts are getting low, and order more right from my phone.

I'm not looking forward to the day Amazon starts charging me tax. That would be a deal-breaker compared to picking up items on my next trip over the border. I'd have to go back to keeping shopping lists!

I'm in a state that Amazon started charging sales tax about 2 years ago. Before the cutoff, I definitely did some stocking up with orders on non-perishable stuff like cleaning supplies.

Wow-I moved most of my on-line shopping from AMZ to Jet.com when it went to $50 shipping. Jet.com is at $35 and in Seattle WA my stuff gets here in two days most times.

...Instead, I've been using Walmart.com, where items stocked by Walmart cost the same online as they do in the store (and sometimes less!). I just received a $37.00 shipment of small items from Walmart.com. They arrived on 3 separate days, including Saturday. What I liked best about this particular shipment was the proper sizing of box/container to item...

My experience with Walmart is different. Last year, I placed an order with Walmart for the 1st time because they had the best prices. The order consisted of: 2 pairs of hiking poles of different colors (for his and hers), 1 plastic canteen, one can of bear spray. The shipping was free because the order total was more than $50.

The items came in 4 different shipments, on 4 different days, including the 2 sets of trekking poles! The cardboard containers were huge and nearly empty.

It did not cost me anything, but how could Walmart make any money shipping things like this? Perhaps they were rushing to catch up to Amazon, hence were still unorganized and inefficient.

I'm in a state that Amazon started charging sales tax about 2 years ago. Before the cutoff, I definitely did some stocking up with orders on non-perishable stuff like cleaning supplies.
When I'm in my home in MD, I just drive 12 miles up to BJ's in Delaware. I can get whatever I need from there tax free. In FL I just suck it up and pay the tax.

Back
Top Bottom