One door closes...another opens

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I retired one year ago today. Today is DW's first day of retirement.

We worked together in the same office for 37 years. She stuck around the place an extra year, partly because she's younger than I, and mostly to help with the transition after we sold the business.

So today we are heading south, and for the first time, with no definite day we have to be back. The last year has been very rough for her, between working way too many hours, and caring for a dying sister. We are going to put about 12 hours in today, on the road, and I expect her to sleep for most of it.

Another long day on the road tomorrow and we will be in Sunny Florida. I am looking forward to seeing her relax and get her energy back.

I am feeling very blessed this morning.

Drive safe. Take an extra day to get there if needed. You don't have to hurry anymore. And congratulations.

Thanks! I seriously pondered the idea of doing the trip in 3 shorter days, but it becomes a tradeoff between an extra hour or two in the car, vs. an extra hour or two in a motel room.

So, we are going to just take our time. Stop at rest areas, stretch our legs, do all of those other things we do at rest areas. We won't push it.

I'll be one of the old farts in the right lane.

6-8 hours driving + one night in a swanky hotel works too. Special dinner, watch the sunset...
Good luck with your journey!

Congrats!! I'm really looking forward to the day when we can just leave to go somewhere without any major pre-planning... take all the time we want to get there... and then stay however long we feel like it. Time to move up the FIRE date!!

Congratulations on being fancy free. The sunshine sounds good. It is grey and rainy here. Enjoy your new freedom as a couple.

Drive safe. Take an extra day to get there if needed. You don't have to hurry anymore. And congratulations.

This is what DH and I realized on our last little road trip. Made the time on the road much more blissful.
Congratulations to you and your wife. Enjoy your trip!

This for sure! I see the OP decided that 12 hours on the road may not be the best, and I would certainly agree. We now limit out trips to no more than 8 hours a day...but I would actually prefer 6 hours. After about 6 hours, the stress of the idiot drivers starts to really grate on me.

Nonetheless, congrats. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2+ years of being FIRE'd and anxiously await the day my DW decides to fully FIRE as well...what a wonderful day that will be! :D

We're perpetual travelers. I love making long road trips--starting out about 3:00 1.m.

Nothing like an upcoming vacation to give you something positive to look forward to. And without a set schedule is even better.

We take at least one international trip every year, and often go to our RV in Blue Ridge Mountains. We are planning on making some 4-5 week North American road trips in the future.

Congratulations on a well deserved lifestyle change.

Congrats and have a safe trip! But like others have stated - take your time on your trip. Take an extra day. Or 2.

Enjoy your trip. When you have enough of Florida, turn west and wander until you get to the Pacific Ocean. Then head north until you get to Canada. At that point, you may want to go home. If not, keep going and get to Alaska.

Back
Top Bottom