Your oldest appliance, just for fun

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I assume this largely LBYM crowd gets satisfaction from a good value.

I know I've been tickled with our now 25 year old Whirlpool washing machine. It's a very basic model, and it's had two very cheap DIY repairs, but it still runs like a top. I dread the day it gives up and I have to buy new, knowing 'they don't make them like they used to.'

Our plain Jane White-Westinghouse stand up freezer is going strong 24/7 after 18 years.

It's gone now of course, but our last CRT tube TV, a Zenith lasted 19 years. Flat screens had been around quite a while while our old Zenith was still chugging along.

Our HP OfficeJet 5610 printer is now 12 years old [I wish it would die, so I could get a wireless printer].

I know I don't hold any records, do you?

Last edited:
I have my grandmother's copper tone (guessing 1960's ?) trash compactor...still works and Sears even still sells the bags :)

2 microwaves and blenders, one for each home. Blenders would be the oldest. Probably 30 years. One is Harvest gold!

Does one of those old Foodsaver vacuum sealers count as an appliance? I didn't buy new, but used but have the original ones that came out I think in the early 80's. The old original Foodsavers keep on ticking, unlike the polished shiny newer ones.

An Oster blender that is used virtually everyday to make smoothies. It has to be 10-15 years old. I found out long ago with blenders that they need to have a metal drive shaft. If they do, they will go until the motor dies. We had plastic shafts and they would break in a year or two.

Oldest appliance in our house is a 63 year old dishwasher. :) Actually, a multipurpose appliance, also scrubs pots and pans, takes out the trash, and performs a number of other chores on a daily basis.

Cuisinart food processor, about 35 years old. Still as good as new, but it doesn't get used that much.

Oldest appliance in our house is a 63 year old dishwasher. :) Actually, a multipurpose appliance, also scrubs pots and pans, takes out the trash, and performs a number of other chores on a daily basis.
Can we quote you to your DW?

Well, I'm not a LBYM type but a 62 Chevy is my oldest "working" mechanical thing. My oldest non working mechanical thing is a 59 Plymouth but I am working on it. House is less than 10 years old and all the appliances were new when we built so not many problems with those appliances,,,,,, yet.

Last edited:
We built our house in 1994 and still have original kitchen appliances - refrigerator, microwave, oven, cooktop. 23 years.

My Mom's 1950's Sunbeam 10-speed big bowl mixer. Works fine. My 1950's AM radio works great for talk radio.

We still use the toaster (~3x a week) that we got when we got married 43 years ago. If a gas fireplace qualifies, ours is 29 years old, along with the boiler and A/C units. I also have some power tools (man's equivalent to "appliances") that are 30-40 years old and still going strong.

Our Maytag Washer (and dryer) still going strong at over 30 years:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/crazy-to-try-to-fix-a-27-yo-wash-machine-67469.html

That was the single repair to the washer, no maintenance other than cleaning an occasional clogged filter in the hose. Dryer needed a new heating element and bearings/belt, easy fixes.

We have a spare freezer, White-Westinghouse, also about 30 years old.

Not an appliance as such, but I have a few old inexpensive stereo receivers that see daily use - one is.... 42 years old (wow, I'm getting old!). The other maybe 35 years old.

-ERD50

A green hand held mixer given as a wedding gift in '75. I have a trickle battery charger from '76. We had a green sears vacuum from '75 till our last move.

My 1966 Electrolux Canister Vacuum. I've owned it for 30 years, super quiet works like a charm. I used it yesterday.

I've got an alarm clock that I bought new. On the face it says "Made in West Germany". Still use it everyday.

washer/dryer 30 years, vacuum 60 years, computer 20 years, dishwasher 25 years, hand mixer 50 years, radio 50 years, CRT TV 20 years, computer peripherals 25 years, all see regular use

If it ain't broke, don't replace it.

Looks like today's appliances usually last 8-15 years. I dread having to replace ours. And according to Consumer Reports, the premium brands like Viking, Wolf, etc. are typically no more reliable than the value priced consumer brands like GE, Whirlpool. I'd gladly pay much more for appliances that last, but not for looks and unnecessary bells and whistles.

I gather most people don't want to pay more for lasting appliances, and they just like having new stuff more these days...

This Is How Long These 6 Appliances Should Last

LG Washer - - 2015

LG Dryer - - 2015

Kenmore Refrigerator/freezer - - 2015

Maytag Dishwasher - - unknown, came with the house, looks new so maybe 2015 also

It's a rough life. :D

BTW, I did hours and hours of research before buying my appliances, and I absolutely LOVE every one of them. Reading all the pros and cons, and knowing (and purchasing) exactly what I wanted made a huge difference for me.

Running a very full load in my fabulous oversized top loader LG washer as I type this.... :D It was expensive but blowing tons of money on what one really wants is one of the great joys of being single.

We have a refrigerator that came with our house when we bought it as a summer getaway that is now relegated to the laundry room for beer and extra freezer space in the summer... when we leave for the winter we consolidate everything into the newer, more energy efficient fridge and shut the hog down. I'm guessing 70s or 80s.

We have a refrigerator that came with our house when we bought it as a summer getaway that is now relegated to the laundry room for beer and extra freezer space in the summer... when we leave for the winter we consolidate everything into the newer, more energy efficient fridge and shut the hog down. I'm guessing 70s or 80s.
Wow, I wish it was possible to buy appliances like that these days, even at a substantial premium.

We have moved a lot and I've used that as an excuse to update appliances.

20+ year old KitchenAid stand mixer
15 year old Maytag front loader
16 year old BMW 330 convertible
84 year old Gerard Perrigaux watch which my grandfather gave my grandmother as a wedding present. I spend more on its upkeep than I would ever use to buy a new watch.

Back
Top Bottom