Barclays "failed online login" emails

splitwdw

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is the second time that I've received an email from Barclays saying there was a failed login attempt on my account. Both emails were sent out around 11 PM. The first time I called customer service, as soon as they heard my question, they told me that there was a system glitch. They verified that there was no activity in my account. This time when I spoke to a rep and explained why I was calling, he at first said he didn't know about any glitch in their system. He put me on hold and when he came back he said that there had been a glitch in the system. He also verified that there was no activity in my account. I don't have much (30,000.) in this bank at this time just use it for the interest savings account. Is anyone else receiving these emails? Is it time to look for another bank? I hate waking up to these emails and then having to wait until they are open to call. I don't want to ignore these emails because next time may be the real thing.

Some of these are phishing attempts. Never, ever click on the links.

Why don't you just logon to your account (directly, not via an email link) and check for yourself that there is no activity? I'd specifically check the balance and also personal info such as address, email, and phone. Also make sure your password is unique and very strong. It does say "failed logon" so by definition they didn't get in, but it sounds like someone is trying, unless it is a glitch in their system.

It could be as simple and harmless as someone with a similar username mistyping it and trying their own password.

It could be as simple and harmless as someone with a similar username mistyping it and trying their own password.

I've been on both ends of this, so someone must have a similar username as I have with one financial institution. I was once mysteriously locked out of my account until I could reset my password. And I once used an incorrect username but very similar to my own and thought I had gotten locked out, only to realize I had been using the wrong username and locked someone else out by mistake. I then entered my correct username and got in just fine.

COcheesehead, Thanks for the reminder about not clicking on links. I don't but thanks.

RunningBum, I do go to my account and check right away but always call the company. Each time they've told me it was a glitch in their system that was sending out the email. I do use a strong password for all my accounts. I do know that nothing is foolproof but I'm not one of those people that use 123 or abc for a password.

Scrambler1, The rep that I talked to started to say that maybe it was someone with the same user name. Then he said, that couldn't be it because my user name is unusual.

I was wondering if anyone else was getting these emails. Thanks for the replies.

COcheesehead, Thanks for the reminder about not clicking on links. I don't but thanks.

RunningBum, I do go to my account and check right away but always call the company. Each time they've told me it was a glitch in their system that was sending out the email. I do use a strong password for all my accounts. I do know that nothing is foolproof but I'm not one of those people that use 123 or abc for a password.

Scrambler1, The rep that I talked to started to say that maybe it was someone with the same user name. Then he said, that couldn't be it because my user name is unusual.

I was wondering if anyone else was getting these emails. Thanks for the replies.

Tell that to John Podesta, Hillary's campaign manager who clicked on a link at got his emails published. I think there should be a campaign that says if you get an email about changing your password, never ever click on the link, instead go directly to the web site. Further major sites should say they will never send such an email with a link, so assume the email is a fishing expedition.

Back
Top Bottom