Short term disability...(the knee saga continues)

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I visited the surgeon yesterday and we agreed it was time to do the other knee. I came home and sent a note out to my colleagues and boss that the arthritis in my right knee had flared up and I needed a knee replacement. It will be scheduled 4 or 6 weeks out and I'll be out at least 6 weeks - last time it was more then eight. I'm told this will be more difficult - we will see.

Getting this done before I retire will mean I'll get a paycheck for my time out of the office. Because of my long tenure I've got a very respectable amount of short term disability. I'm very happy about that.

Over the years I've always endeavored to deliver a good product and I feel they've gotten their monies worth. How I feel about the company has however changed - my tolerance for metric centric bureaucrats is nearly nil. I am unimpressed with the uninspiring leadership. There are numerous initiatives cutting travel, training and about everything else. The best and brightest are leaving...

I feel, even after 30 years, that each time I get a paycheck my relationship with the company starts new - they don't owe me anything and I don't owe them anything and I expect the worse.

I've got a good relationship with my boss and the rest of my colleagues. Funny thing is while my colleagues responded, my boss didn't respond to my email. The boss has all manner of charts showing upcoming work and resources. [In case you didn't know it this is the era of visualization. There's software that with a few clicks will generate nifty graphs on everything.] My departure will leave a minor void - there are 15 of us in the team. I have most diverse experience but no one is irreplaceable - it will just take a little time. I wonder how you graph that? Still I've found the boss to be a very reasonably person. I am perplexed by the silence.

Of course the question they will be pondering on is will I come back to work or just come in work two weeks then give notice and retire. It is a decision I'll officially make at that time but I'm sure you can guess.

Last edited:
Good luck with the knee, Ray. And let me be the first to say welcome to the good side of the work/retirement border. I wish I had my knee replacement before I retired and could have used my sick time (94 days gone with no benefit). The time will pass quickly and you should be up and retired by Labor Day!

Back
Top Bottom