Type of Guns used for Self Defense/ or Other

Car-Guy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As a followup to the recent thread on "guns" I thought it might be interesting to know from the gun owners on this board what type of gun(s) they use for self defense (or other purposes you may like to discuss), either at home, traveling, hunting or target shooting (etc). Let's try to keep porky away on this one. Also are you licensed to carry in your state/area?

So for self defense, I carry a 2" 357 Ruger in my primary daily drivers. When I carry on my person, I carry a 380 Sig. I don't like to "open carry", which is allowed in my State, and the Sig is easy to conceal. At home, I usually keep a Taurus 410/45 Long Colt (The Judge) readily available. I am licensed in my state.

For other purposes,
For deer hunting, I prefer my 300 Weatherby and for Dove/Quail hunting I'll typically use my trusty ~50 year old Remington 12ga 870 pump. Target shooting varies but I really like my Colt Python using handloaded 38's.

Each gun has it's own purpose/use for different situations. I could talk/write about each of these for hours but I'll stop there for now.

Anyone care to share their favorites and/or why?

Last edited:
Favorites? Like asking which is your favorite child! :)

Target:
Hammerli 208S; a fine piece of Swiss engineering
High Standard slant grip Olympic: .22 short, no recoil, fun to shoot

Carry (which I almost never do):
Kahr PM9; tiny and light. Really hard to practice with for any length of time because the recoil is punishing.
Glock 30 is also available but a little bulky.

Basement Practice 10 Meter pellet guns, CO2 powered:
Steyr LP1; the best trigger in the gun safe!
Steyr LP5

Woodchuck/ Garden Defense:
MAC 1 "Steroid" Benjamin .22: Will put a pellet completely through a 3/4" pine board (or a rabbit).

I'm licensed, but don't carry much. Current handguns are H&K VP9 and a Springfield .45 TRP Operator. Used to compete several years ago in USPSA with SVI .40. Since my eyesight went south, iron sights don't work for me anymore.

Now I mostly shoot long distance with a Remington 5R Milspec in .308.

Favorites? Like asking which is your favorite child! :)
I knew that comment was coming when I started this thread. :)

[Target:
High Standard slant grip Olympic: .22 short, no recoil, fun to shoot

My favorite 22 is an original 7 1/4 fluted HS Supermatic Trophy model. Super accurate. Great collectors gun too.

Carrying, I switch between a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm single stack, and the baby Glock 26. I have a sturdy nylon gun belt that keeps my pants or shorts from falling down, and either a nice leather holster or slimmer kydex.

For home defense and range fun, a simple Glock 17 that is just smooth as butter and fun to shoot.

We dont carry on our person anymore. When we did DW has a 1911 Wilson Combat in 9mm. My carry was a Srpingfielx XD in 9mm.

Around the house there's a few more 1911s, a Wilson Combat in .45 ACP and a 1911 Colt in 10mm. We dont have kids in the home so all in condition 1.

Hunting is either a. 270 or a .50 cal in-line muzzle loader. Still have a 20 gauge double. Sometimes in backwoods 'll carry a Bond Arms derringer in 45 long Colt or 410 shotgun. Not pleasant to fire.

99 % of the time its a Smith and Wesson Model 36 , Thats a 5 shot 2 inch barrel .38 revolver for the non gun people that might be reading this. Its loaded with plus P hollow points. I used to carry 6 extra rounds in a speed strip but I stopped that maybe 7 years ago. In my old life I went to the range at least 1 time a month. Now I try to go a few times a year.

When I was working as a LEO, I carried a Glock 20 Gen 4 10mm. I carried on and off duty.

I'm not a big gun guy, but there is no way I wouldn't own one for protection. Just prior to retiring, I bought a Ruger SR9c 9mm. I like that you have the option of using the 10 round magazine which is great for concealment. It also came with a 17 round magazine with grip extension.

Holstered next to my bed; S&W .357 Combat Magnum. Holstered in my SUV; S&W Shield 9. I also have a Canik 9mm in the home office. Other firearms are in the safe. Even though Arizona, I don't CCW (at this time).

.. My favorite 22 is an original 7 1/4 fluted HS Supermatic Trophy model. Super accurate. Great collectors gun too.
Yeah. I have a mil grip HS Supermatic too with a couple of Lou Lombardi barrels and the fluted original barrel. It's been shot enough that it has the typical frame cracks but they really don't affect anything.

Yeah. I have a mil grip HS Supermatic too with a couple of Lou Lombardi barrels and the fluted original barrel. It's been shot enough that it has the typical frame cracks but they really don't affect anything.
What's the best ammo (most accurate) you have found for use in the HS? For me it's been Eley 22 LR match made in the UK. A bit pricey but if you are shooting in a match it's been the best performing for me.

For concealed carry, I used to carry a SW99 in .40 but then lightened up by carrying a LCP. Now I carry a LC9. On the rare occasion I've open carried, I've carried a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum.

Related note. I reload all my practice and would reload hunting ammo.

Under no circumstances would I use my reloaded ammunition for self defense.

Currently consolidating several HD and CC weapons to 9MM across the board. 9MM groceries are relatively inexpensive, and IMHO, can get the job done. Have compact and standard handguns as well as carbine in 9MM.

For eastern deer hunts, my WIN 30.30 works fine; out west calls for the 270.

Carry: Glock G43 or 26, or Kahr PM9

Home: Glock G17, G19 Sig P222

All 9mm, keeps ammo purchases easy.

Related note. I reload all my practice and would reload hunting ammo.

Under no circumstances would I use my reloaded ammunition for self defense.

I'm not a gun owner, but I might as well learn something: Why wouldn't you use reloaded ammunition for self defense?

I'm not a gun owner, but I might as well learn something: Why wouldn't you use reloaded ammunition for self defense?

I'm guessing that anything second hand is less reliable.

Yes. When in my 20s I shot hundreds of rounds each weekend for practice, and did my own reloading to save costs. I would have 1 or 2 duds out of 100. It was most likely due to the primer not getting seated properly in its pocket.

I reload all my own ammo too, except 22's and 9mm's.

+1 , agree with that 100%

Usually the reasoning is that if you use handloaded rounds in a self defense situation, the prosecuting attorney will make the case to the jury that you used an even more lethal round than factory ammo because you wanted to kill for the sake of killing. It's along the same lines as never shoot a bad guy in the head because the prosecutor will tell the jury you were trying to kill the perp, not trying to stop his attack.

Liability!

Reload are very reliable, providing you use good components and know the process.

Creating your own loads can raise a question of why? And did you have a pre-disposition to wanting to shoot someone? It's often suggested to(if you can find out) what ammunition your local or state PD uses and buy that..

Actually, reloaded ammo can be as reliable as store bought.

My reason for not using reloaded ammo is in case I ever need to use it, i do not want to be on the stand and have a lawyer ask me "why did you have to use your own ammo, is the store bought ammo not powerful enough for you?" It is the same reason I would not use ammo called "Zombie Max" in my carry weapon. I would use something like "Federal HST" the same used by many law enforcement agencies including the FBI.

Back
Top Bottom