Quicken 2018 available

I'm patting myself on the back for my smart move five years ago, switching to Moneydance. :cool:

Ah, memberships. Yeah, a new marketing buzzword. Apparently, goes better than subscription.

BTW, those prices are brutal. Absolutely no break for forcing a yearly (instead of 3 years) payment.

Oh well.... since I am currently on 2017, hopefully I'll have two years to transition. While on one hand $60 a year is not bad for what I get in functionality, it is a big increase from what I have been paying.

There was a thread regarding this "subscription" model some time ago. I still use 2014 and there was talk of the older versions being "turned off" to force users into the new pricing structure. We will see.

FYI - Amazon has Quicken 2018 w/"Amazon exclusive 27 month membership" and also includes additional 15GB DropBox storage. There is also a 20% discount available if you shop with American Express Membership Reward Points (see info below). Pricing on Amazon:

Starter: $59.99 ($48.99 w/AMEX discount)
Deluxe: $89.99 ($71.99 w/AMEX discount)
Premier: $129.99 ($103.99 w/AMEX discount)
Home/Business: $159.99 ($127.99 w/AMEX discount)

I know, it kind of sucks to go to "membership" option, but honestly for as much as I use it, I'll pay it. Those who have found an alternative that works, great. However, I've tried all the others and they were missing something that I have found I need/want in Quicken.

Now for the details on the 20% off promo. Amazon is running a promotion through with American Express Membership Rewards. Use your American Express Reward Points and get 20% discount. Please note you do not (and I do not recommend) that you pay for your purchase entirely with points. You only need to apply some points, I applied 10 cents in points (14 points).

NOTE THAT THIS PROMOTION EXPIRES TODAY @ 11:59PM PT

Details here: https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17170797011

Last edited:
Sticking with Quicken 2017, then in 2019, working on my transition before software times-out. Quicken is the ONLY reason I haven't switched over to a Chromebook yet - once I'm off Quicken, then it's goodbye Windows too.

BTW, those prices are brutal. Absolutely no break for forcing a yearly (instead of 3 years) payment.

Absurd, that is three times what I have been paying on a yearly basis ( I only upgrade when the online services stop), $60/yr is not worth it. I guess this is the motivation to migrate to something else.

FYI - Amazon has Quicken 2018 w/"Amazon exclusive 27 month membership" and also includes additional 15GB DropBox storage. There is also a 20% discount available if you shop with American Express Membership Reward Points (see info below). Pricing on Amazon:

Starter: $59.99 ($48.99 w/AMEX discount)
Deluxe: $89.99 ($71.99 w/AMEX discount)
Premier: $129.99 ($103.99 w/AMEX discount)
Home/Business: $159.99 ($127.99 w/AMEX discount)

I know, it kind of sucks to go to "membership" option, but honestly for as much as I use it, I'll pay it. Those who have found an alternative that works, great. However, I've tried all the others and they were missing something that I have found I need/want in Quicken.

Now for the details on the 20% off promo. Amazon is running a promotion through with American Express Membership Rewards. Use your American Express Reward Points and get 20% discount. Please note you do not (and I do not recommend) that you pay for your purchase entirely with points. You only need to apply some points, I applied 10 cents in points (14 points).

NOTE THAT THIS PROMOTION EXPIRES TODAY @ 11:59PM PT

Details here: https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17170797011

Here is what I got when I clicked on the amazon link above:

Thank you for your interest in this offer. Unfortunately, you are not eligible for this offer.

Sticking with Quicken 2017, then in 2019, working on my transition before software times-out. Quicken is the ONLY reason I haven't switched over to a Chromebook yet - once I'm off Quicken, then it's goodbye Windows too.

Kinda funny, I use my Chromebook about 95% of the time (using it now), Windows is for Quicken and a couple other programs. I use my Chromebook to connect remotely (using Chrome Remote Desktop) to my Windows to access Quicken. I was hoping to see Quicken move to offer web option.

Any software you are looking to transition to? I've tried a dozen options and nothing seemed to really replace Quicken.

Dumb question since I haven't used Quicken or Money in almost 12+yrs...what do you get with Quicken that you don't with the free services like Personal Capital, Mint.com (both of which I've had for many years). They show transactions, they track networth, categories, budgets, bill pays, investment and retirement planning etc. Not to mention with the apps for IOS and Android I can access all the info from wherever I am.

Here is what I got when I clicked on the amazon link above:
Do you have an American Express card and Rewards linked to your account? If not, try that. Here's offer I had:

Attachments

• Amazon.com  20  Off American Express Offer  Credit   Payment Cards.jpg
    Amazon.com 20 Off American Express Offer Credit Payment Cards.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 53
The cost isn't really much worse than buying it each year. The Amazon "exclusive" saves you $5 over the 27-month period. For those who tended to skip upgrading each year, the subscription model hurts. I am waiting to see if Costco will sell this - they sold Quicken in the past, but now that it's no longer Intuit they may not.

I will continue to use Quicken - it's worth it to me.

What happens at the end of the membership? Do you stay on the same version, or do you quit working?

I see Staples.com has discount on 2018 versions with 2 year memberships, download.

Starter: $49.99
Deluxe: $64.99
Premier: $99.99
Home/Business: $124.99

Last edited:
What someone needs to do is make a conversion to another financial program and they will make a killing. I do NOT subscribe to Subscriptions (Pun Intended).

The cost isn't really much worse than buying it each year.

But here's the thing. Most of us were buying it every THREE years.

Some here never buy it and still won't. But for those of us wanting the on-line stuff, they moved to an every three year upgrade requirement. They essentially pushed that to once per year.

But I get a membership. Will I get a badge and secret handshake?

What happens at the end of the membership? Do you stay on the same version, or do you quit working?
From their FAQ:
What happens to my data if my subscription is cancelled or expires?
The Quicken Data Access Guarantee means that whether you renew your subscription or not, you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. You can view, edit, export, and manually enter transactions and accounts for Deluxe and higher versions, even after your subscription ends*. Access to online services, such as transaction download, quotes, and mobile sync, along with access to Quicken Support, will end if your subscription does. We’ll continue to let you know about product changes and enhancements within the Quicken product.​

...Any software you are looking to transition to? I've tried a dozen options and nothing seemed to really replace Quicken.
In my research, I've found the YNAB (the old, non-subscription version) combined the features I found critical in Quicken, along with my spreadsheet budgeting functions. I've been working on a minimalist distilled version that I can use in Google Sheets. It's only got a few bare-bones features (budgeting, planning, balancing) that I consider important but, since I'm using Google Sheets, I can run it anywhere (iPad, Windows, Mac, Linux, Chromebook, etc.). Since I'm not developing it for anything other than my personal use, my budget categories are fixed for my needs. I haven't yet worked on any reporting or error checking, so there's a large degree of risk. That said, I've been running my 2nd alpha in parallel with my Quicken+Spreadsheet since Jul 1, and I'm starting to understand how it'll work over time. I'd considered switching to GnuCash, but there was a steep learning curve that I didn't want to deal with. It's really a shame that Intuit and then the recent owners of Quicken are trying to squeeze their customers so ruthlessly...

From their FAQ:
What happens to my data if my subscription is cancelled or expires?
The Quicken Data Access Guarantee means that whether you renew your subscription or not, you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. You can view, edit, export, and manually enter transactions and accounts for Deluxe and higher versions, even after your subscription ends*.​

I believe when Quicken switched Canadian users to the one year subscription model last year their initial plan was to not allow any manual editing of data after the subscription expired but received too much negative feedback so backed off.

Last edited:
In my research, I've found the YNAB (the old, non-subscription version) combined the features I found critical in Quicken, along with my spreadsheet budgeting functions. I've been working on a minimalist distilled version that I can use in Google Sheets. It's only got a few bare-bones features (budgeting, planning, balancing) that I consider important but, since I'm using Google Sheets, I can run it anywhere (iPad, Windows, Mac, Linux, Chromebook, etc.). Since I'm not developing it for anything other than my personal use, my budget categories are fixed for my needs. I haven't yet worked on any reporting or error checking, so there's a large degree of risk. That said, I've been running my 2nd alpha in parallel with my Quicken+Spreadsheet since Jul 1, and I'm starting to understand how it'll work over time. I'd considered switching to GnuCash, but there was a steep learning curve that I didn't want to deal with. It's really a shame that Intuit and then the recent owners of Quicken are trying to squeeze their customers so ruthlessly...
Thanks for sharing and appreciate your approach. I've thought about building out a spreadsheet approach myself. I've built spreadsheets for my entire career for budget and financials so it's not a big effort for me. But when I look at the time saved by having Quicken automatically download my transactional data and my updating my investment holdings and prices I figure even with the new subscription, it's still not a bad deal. With current deals it's about $50/yr. I don't like paying more than I need to, but I know I spend more than that foolishly on other things in a year.

People have complained that Quicken hasn't advanced the program as much as they like. I'm hopeful that with the new "subscription" model we may see that with "Cadillac" pricing they'll offer a "Cadillac" product.

Dumb question since I haven't used Quicken or Money in almost 12+yrs...what do you get with Quicken that you don't with the free services like Personal Capital, Mint.com (both of which I've had for many years). They show transactions, they track networth, categories, budgets, bill pays, investment and retirement planning etc. Not to mention with the apps for IOS and Android I can access all the info from wherever I am.[/QUOTE]

I think many do not want financial info put into the "cloud". Quicken maintains the data locally.

It's nice to see that the Mac version is available for all versions through Premier. In the past Inuit made very little effort to keep the Mac version up to date with Windows. Macs have never had the Quicken Lifetime Planner. It will be interesting to see if the 2018 Mac version now includes it.

No reviews on Amazon yet. It looks like it was just released today. Early reviews of new Quicken releases have been awful in the past because the software was typically very buggy until they released a few software patches. I'll be keeping an eye out for reviews as people begin to purchase it.

I would expect they will have a promotion in a month or so where they bundle it with Turbotax for a discount.

I would expect they will have a promotion in a month or so where they bundle it with Turbotax for a discount.

I don't know if now that Quicken is separate from Intuit if they'll be so quick to bundle together. Guess we'll find out.

Back
Top Bottom