The changing Dog Master relationship- shes got me wrapped around her paw.

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
She's rolled up on the couch a couple feet away watching me. 70lbs of white labradoddle with crazy half Poodle, half Lab hair. This morning I should be upset with her - there is the matter of the 4am scratch at the front door and the resultant walk. I think of it as the price you pay for a dog that never has accidents. The Mrs. sat on the stairs while I attended to the walk. I am not afraid of the dark but we have zombies that patrol the neighborhood in the wee hours looking for unlocked cars and sheds. Zombies are a desperate lot; I am pretty sure don't roam neighborhoods for food money. The 9 mile away city has an opioid crisis. Thankfully no zombies but there was movement in the neighbors lawn. I am not sure what it was but believe it was a deer. It was a quick successful walk. I withheld the normal morning post walk treat. We went back to bed and I feel back asleep until 6:30 or so. i came downstairs and she was waiting sleeping against the front door. I made coffee and took her out again - same result. Dusty has been doing a lot of sniffing - foot prints of some kind of critter were noted by the Mrs. The old gal isn't up to a chase but she makes a show of doing the bloodhound thing.

It was my decision not to surround stately RayInPenn manner with an electric dog fence. On particularly nasty rainy days I have my doubts about that decision. Still taking the dog for a walk gets you moving and is an opportunity to survey the estate.

I've come to the conclusion that somewhere in these past 11 years our relationship flipped. She is now the master and I am here to serve her needs. In addition to the walks on demand she has learned to sit in the couch and signal with her paw by banging the couch that she's appreciate some attention.

Dogs, like kids are a constant reminder we are not alone - they shift our focus from ourselves and I am sure that is a very good thing.

The truth is while I'm not into micro dogs i never met a dog i didn't like. That wagging tail and howl that greets me when I get home from work still makes me smile.

Care to share some thoughts on your pooch?

She sleeps in my bed with me every night. When I watch TV she like to sleep with her head in my lap. She growls and barks to announce passers by unless the turn up the driveway then the barking stops and tail begins to wag - new friends to make. When she needs a few pets she will nose flip my hand on her head or rump wag my leg.

I have a dog door and a fenced back yard so she can always go outside. She like to scratch a hole in the dirt and then lie in it and have a snooze. She likes to fetch tennis balls and enjoys a vigorous game of tug after supper. She has never messed in the house.

Stockton street dog that I adopted after three stays at the Stockton pound. They gave her to me (waived adoption charges) as I think they loved that dog and I was an older guy from out of town and they never wanted to see her again.

I've come to the conclusion that somewhere in these past 11 years our relationship flipped. She is now the master and I am here to serve her needs.

Welcome to the world of cat ownership. Except this happens immediately upon the arrival of the cat to the house. It doesn't take eleven years :)
As they say, dogs have owners and cats have staff.

Welcome to the world of cat ownership. Except this happens immediately upon the arrival of the cat to the house. It doesn't take eleven years :)
As they say, dogs have owners and cats have staff.

In our house, it appears the dog has staff.:LOL:

My old lab will be 15 next week. Over most of his life he always made sure I was awake about an hour before sunrise so we could take our morning walk/run. Lately though, he sleeps more deeply (and longer) so the last few months I have had to wake him for the morning routine.

Coal has been such a great companion and has traveled all over the country with me the last few years, including a couple of extended RV adventures.

There is no doubt that my pup is the master of the house as I now plan my days around his schedule - he requires more frequent outings although the walks are much shorter these days.

DSCF7939.jpg

As I have mentioned on this forum before, my DH and I are owned by an eleven pound papillon named Tristan. We are both certain that we are hypnotized by his eye dots on a regular basis.

We don't mind. He is a gentle and generous master.

Last edited:
One of our dogs has been nick named "The Queen" So I feel your pain. Love dogs always have.

Previous dog shared 15 years of my life. Separation anxiety in the dog made sure I knew who was boss. Kick myself for not returning the dog early on, but really had a tough time letting go in the end.:(

The queen is pictured.

Our dog is starting to take on cat-like tendencies, thinking he is the master of the house. We love him a lot, but he’s demonstrating some bad behavior lately such as growling and even occasionally snapping at people. This is a big change from his prior sweet personality so we’re worried about him. The vet said sudden changes like this are often driven by pain. Our dog was diagnosed with arthritis last fall, and he’s on pain killers, but he’s still exhibiting this behavior. Vet can’t find any new source of pain or help us with why he’s suddenly become so difficult.

Any thoughts from anyone who dealt with a similar situation?

We currently have two, both under 15 pounds. We never planned on two, we got a second Maltese to replace one who was aging. When he was gone the house was too empty. A little Shitzu-Chin mix stole hearts and came home.

One of the things that attracted us was her prancing like a show dog. I assumed it was puppy behavior but 10 years later she prances everywhere she goes.

Yes they own us. The Maltese can't walk the entire two mile river walk anymore. I have to carry him after the first mile(he's so happy when I pick him up). The Shitzu-Chin will let me know if I'm not petting her with enough enthusiasm. She pets me!

They each have their place in bed. Sometimes if I'm lucky one will cuddle up to my back for a while.

Our dog was diagnosed with arthritis last fall, and he’s on pain killers, but he’s still exhibiting this behavior. Vet can’t find any new source of pain or help us with why he’s suddenly become so difficult.

You may want to consult with a dog trainer. They can assess what might be driving the behavior and help you with a training plan to de-sensitize the dog to what is driving the behavior. Contact your local Humane Society or even the local public shelter for a list of trainers.

- Rita

Our dog is starting to take on cat-like tendencies, thinking he is the master of the house. We love him a lot, but he’s demonstrating some bad behavior lately such as growling and even occasionally snapping at people. This is a big change from his prior sweet personality so we’re worried about him. The vet said sudden changes like this are often driven by pain. Our dog was diagnosed with arthritis last fall, and he’s on pain killers, but he’s still exhibiting this behavior. Vet can’t find any new source of pain or help us with why he’s suddenly become so difficult.

How old and what type of dog?

Our older one is a little cranky about his feet and it gets worse with age. He's a little dog and we've had several that get like that. The first one was diagnosed with grass allergies, unfortunately the treatment was prednisone and it's not good for the dog.

I agree a trainer might be a good resource.

Our latest little guy is 8 years old, Shar pei/pit mix, from the local Humane Society. He passed his canine Good Citizen class with flying colors. Ferocious bark and growl, but a pussycat to humans, as long as he knows you are a friend. 85 pounds of loving lap dog (or so he thinks!) Very set in his way, and lets us know when walk or meal time is on HIS schedule, not ours:LOL:

My (late) Border with his pups.......mom's taking a break and playing with a tennis ball:

(He & I were more 'partners' than owner/pet.)

2relkir.jpg

Lab owner here too. I'll just say, if the DW had to pick between me and the Lab, I might as well start packing my stuff.

She would probably keep that new Jeep, too!:D
No doubt about that since she like cars as much as I do! She would probably tell me to call a cab.

We had the privilege of adopting a shepard-husky runt from the SPCA. She was quick to exert her needs when she cried because she missed her 6 brothers and sisters at 3am. I would get up and sit on the floor in the laundry room with her on my lap. It was all about the love.

She was great and obedient, always trying to please. And she understood about 300 English words. She would pick them out of sentences. Also great therapy for our two boys.

After 14 years, her back end gave out and we had to put her down. One of the tougher experiences. But I would never have traded that experience for anything. Enjoy while you can!

How old and what type of dog?

Our older one is a little cranky about his feet and it gets worse with age. He's a little dog and we've had several that get like that. The first one was diagnosed with grass allergies, unfortunately the treatment was prednisone and it's not good for the dog.

I agree a trainer might be a good resource.

He’s about 8; he’s a rescue so we’re not 100% sure. His pain seems to be getting worse. I made a vet appointment for tomorrow. I think the trainer idea is a good one, but first I want to see if there is a more serious medical issue so we can treat that first. He acts happy most of the time, but increasingly groans, yelps, and freaks out with certain motions.

He’s a Pom mix, possibly Pom/chihuahua but we don’t know since he’s a rescue.

You may want to consult with a dog trainer. They can assess what might be driving the behavior and help you with a training plan to de-sensitize the dog to what is driving the behavior. Contact your local Humane Society or even the local public shelter for a list of trainers.

- Rita

Thanks Rita. We have a short list of local trainers we want to meet and talk with, but first we need to see if he had a medical issue driving this. His pain seems to be getting worse lately.

He’s about 8; he’s a rescue so we’re not 100% sure. His pain seems to be getting worse. I made a vet appointment for tomorrow. I think the trainer idea is a good one, but first I want to see if there is a more serious medical issue so we can treat that first. He acts happy most of the time, but increasingly groans, yelps, and freaks out with certain motions.

He’s a Pom mix, possibly Pom/chihuahua but we don’t know since he’s a rescue.

Our small dogs, like yours, seem to have some issues with pain. Our Maltese just tried to bite me for touching his hind foot. He's favoring it and will be going to the vet if it's still bothering him. He's always been a little sensitive around his feet.

It's harder sometimes with small dogs to determine the source of pain. Good luck.

16402938816_6877f2679d_o.jpg

I'm dog fodder.

24337471476_78c5827193_o.jpg

Sleeping like a human.

Our 15 yo Weimaraner sleeps like that. He still wakes up to eat and go for his walk. Now the 2 yo FCR has a bit more energy.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 93
Yep, 2 o'clock to 4 AM walks for me and the poochie-girl!

Your "zombie" comment is spot on. Local neighbors all know about my early AM dog walks. One neighbor had a boat motor theft interrupted at 3AM or so. He thinks my porch light and dog walking spooked the thieves.

Back
Top Bottom