New for Amazon Prime ... 5% back at Whole Foods

This was a yay! for me.

I'm particular about produce and seafood and whole foods has the best in my area.

I've been into their stores a couple of times. Very pretty. When I looked at the prices I thought that maybe I had wandered into the airport somehow.

Excellent! Now I can start calling them 95% Paycheck.

Man I thought there was some Amazon Prime member benefit and asked for it at a Whole Foods in January, and they looked at me like I had sprouted horns.

So I was just too early!

When the bonus is 25% back I might consider Whole Foods.

_B

I've been into their stores a couple of times. Very pretty. When I looked at the prices I thought that maybe I had wandered into the airport somehow.

They are expensive, but since the Amazon purchase, they are still experimenting with price points.

They reduced price on some items, so perhaps they are somewhere between normal supermarkets and airport prices at this point in time.

I wish there was a Whole Foods closer to my home. I used to occasionally shop at one near where I worked. But since retiring, it's kind of out of my way to go there just for shopping.

I've been in Whole Foods stores and they're nice. But the closest one is an hour away so even with a substantial discount we'd burn any savings in gasoline. Especially if we took the truck - on a good day it gets 18 mpg.

Our closest Whole Foods is 20 minutes away. We have a Sprouts that is less than 5 minutes away. Not as fancy as Whole Foods, but great meat and produce at a reasonable price, which is all we care about. Plus we already get 5% cash-back on groceries with our AMEX Blue Cash card. So not much reason to dig my Amazon card out of the sock drawer.

Our closest Whole Foods is 20 minutes away. We have a Sprouts that is less than 5 minutes away. Not as fancy as Whole Foods, but great meat and produce at a reasonable price, which is all we care about. Plus we already get 5% cash-back on groceries with our AMEX Blue Cash card. So not much reason to dig my Amazon card out of the sock drawer.

We have found that Sprout's is much cheaper than [-]Amazon[/-] Whole Foods and in many cases cheaper than Publix and Kroger...which is surprising to me. I think the food quality is as good if not better than Whole Foods, too. We have the Amex Cash Preferred, so that's 6% for us...sorry Amazon...your card will only be used at Amazon.

Now it will only be 20% higher margin than Albertsons which is no value in of itself

The american express blue cash preferred gives you 6% back at all supermarkets. It does have an annual fee Mine charged $75, but I see online, that it is $95 now.

For us, the additional cash back over the 2% on our other cards easily makes up for the annual fee.

I guess from some of the expert food budget people here one size does not fit all.

We have Whole Foods and Safeway here without going too far out of our way. So for us it works nicely for our WF purchases.

This is great because DW shops for groceries at Whole Foods. I called Whole Foods up and they don't care if she uses the card that is currently in my name.

Also called up Chase Amazon to get her a card in her name (number is 1.800.247.4080).

Here is the link to the Amazon announcement:
https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17599167011&ref=vanWFMC

So, I read the announcement. Did I understand correctly that to get any of the savings described on that page I need to get an Amazon credit card (which I won't do)? Or, do I simply have to be a Prime member?

You need the physical Amazon card.
Well, technically, you need the Amazon Prime card (along with Prime membership) .:)

Soon after the acquisition our local WFM has a Kindle kiosk and some Amazon delivery lockers, both near the entrance.

Last edited:
The american express blue cash preferred gives you 6% back at all supermarkets. It does have an annual fee Mine charged $75, but I see online, that it is $95 now.

For us, the additional cash back over the 2% on our other cards easily makes up for the annual fee.

We are grandfathered on an older version of the AMEX Blue Cash with no annual fee and no spending caps. But the grocery cash-back is 5% instead of 6% and that's only after total spending of $6.5K at the start of each year. We also get 5% on gasoline and drug stores. We use the Amazon/Chase card for 5% off Amazon purchases, and the Fidelity/Elan VISA for 2% on everything else.

We are grandfathered on an older version of the AMEX Blue Cash with no annual fee and no spending caps. But the grocery cash-back is 5% instead of 6% and that's only after total spending of $6.5K at the start of each year. We also get 5% on gasoline and drug stores. We use the Amazon/Chase card for 5% off Amazon purchases, and the Fidelity/Elan VISA for 2% on everything else.

I had that card and "upgraded" to the preferred. It works out better for us since we now use that card only for groceries.

I had that card and "upgraded" to the preferred. It works out better for us since we now use that card only for groceries.

On the newer "Preferred" card, I don't like the annual fee or the spending caps. Also, on the old version I still get 5% on gasoline and drug stores. So for our spending profile, that results in higher cash back compared to the newer card.

This is great because DW shops for groceries at Whole Foods. I called Whole Foods up and they don't care if she uses the card that is currently in my name.

Also called up Chase Amazon to get her a card in her name (number is 1.800.247.4080).

Here is the link to the Amazon announcement:
https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17599167011&ref=vanWFMC

I love it when people post deals.

However I save 40% by NOT shopping at Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck). ;)

I guess from some of the expert food budget people here one size does not fit all.

We have Whole Foods and Safeway here without going too far out of our way. So for us it works nicely for our WF purchases.

Don't take it too hard. People just like to razz folks..

We did go there a few times when we got gift cards at 1/2 price, so our $120 of food really only cost $60.

I did find they had good prices on their cheap wine, I bought a case and it's good enough to drink. They had some good prices on various other things, but also high prices on stuff that we can buy for much less elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom