Memorial Day

Red Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi to all my FIRE colleagues.

Just a gentle reminder to take a moment tomorrow and commemorate our fallen warriors . Just as important, kindly and respectfully correct folks that think of it as a day to celebrate.

I would also respectfully ask that you consider how local business' use this day. Do they honor our fallen, or do they promote their products (ie, Memorial Day Sale).

I am an old, worn out soldier - - - and grateful to be one. Serving this great country was a high honor. Along the way, I lost several friends and others that I knew.

All gave some - some gave all.

Thank you.

Just a gentle reminder to take a moment tomorrow and commemorate our fallen warriors . Just as important, kindly and respectfully correct folks that think of it as a day to celebrate.

I would also respectfully ask that you consider how local business' use this day. Do they honor our fallen, or do they promote their products (ie, Memorial Day Sale).

I am an old, worn out soldier - - - and grateful to be one. Serving this great country was a high honor. Along the way, I lost several friends and others that I knew.

Thank you.

Thank you for reminding us of what Memorial Day is all about.

Just another little item that has always bothered me.

Please don't make a point of thanking a veteran for their service on Memorial Day. It's not about us -- we have Veteran's Day in November. It always made me feel very awkward when someone made that comment to me. Memorial Day is about the fallen.

Also, if possible, put your flag at half-staff first thing in the morning, and at noon raise it high for the rest of the day. It's a special flag protocol just for this one day, to get us to think about it.

Just another little item that has always bothered me.

Please don't make a point of thanking a veteran for their service on Memorial Day. It's not about us -- we have Veteran's Day in November. It always made me feel very awkward when someone made that comment to me. Memorial Day is about the fallen.

Also, if possible, put your flag at half-staff first thing in the morning, and at noon raise it high for the rest of the day. It's a special flag protocol just for this one day, to get us to think about it.

Thanks braumeister for the flag information. I was not aware of the special flag protocol.

Don't forget the survivors of the fallen, as their lives were changed forever.

For my fallen classmates:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

-- Laurence Binyon

Attachments

• 33345886_1715496858486938_5821992125809557504_n.jpg
    33345886_1715496858486938_5821992125809557504_n.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Thank you.

Thank you and another worn out combat vet who lost friends while serving a cause greater than themselves and gone way too early.

I would also respectfully ask that you consider how local business' use this day. Do they honor our fallen, or do they promote their products (ie, Memorial Day Sale). ...

This always bothers me, I have several promotions in my email inbox now, and it just seems so tacky to use a day like this to promote their products (especially completely unrelated products).

I think I will write each of them today, and request that they stop co-opting every 'honor' holiday as a promotion, or drop me from their email lists (no big loss anyway).

-ERD50

Well said, and although not the original purpose of memorial day, it also does make me think about our first responders that have fallen.

My Father reminded me that this day is to commemorate the fallen, and I shouldn't thank him for his service. I knew that, but still thanked him (as well as my uncles who served) because, as I told him, He wouldn't be around to hear me thank him in later years. I know that Nov. 11 is the day for living Vets, but I saw photos of my Father when he enlisted, and when he got out, so I know that a part of him died on the beaches of Okinawa. So I will continue to say it with gusto.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY .

Yes I also hate that stores use it to promote sales. All my male relatives were in various wars as well as all 3 of my spouses. My step son is serving now. They are all heroes.

Today we have the grandchildren and took them to see a Missing Man Table and explain the meaning. Both DH and I are veterans and want them to understand to the degree they are capable.

A few pictures of the Memorial Day commemoration in our area. There were many families with children in the crowd but the overall number of people has been nearly the same (not growing) for the 30 years we’ve been attending.

Last edited:
Well said, and although not the original purpose of memorial day, it also does make me think about our first responders that have fallen.

I honor them as well. Anyone who is running to danger (to end it) has my eternal gratitude.

As the dumbass that I tend to be. I just consider the military as first responders with nuclear weapons. :LOL:

But on a more somber note, I consider first responders as brothers and sisters in service to our community; as the military is for our country.

Thank you.

Thank you for your service!

Fellow combat vet here. I have no problem with sales on holidays. One of the things I fought for was capitalism.

The pastor at my former church on Memorial day would ask the active duty and vets to stand and be recognized. After year two I had a talk with him about the meaning of Memorial day. He then changed his routine and recognized us on Armed Forces Day and Veterans Day.

My Father reminded me that this day is to commemorate the fallen, and I shouldn't thank him for his service. I knew that, but still thanked him (as well as my uncles who served) because, as I told him, He wouldn't be around to hear me thank him in later years. I know that Nov. 11 is the day for living Vets, but I saw photos of my Father when he enlisted, and when he got out, so I know that a part of him died on the beaches of Okinawa. So I will continue to say it with gusto.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY .
I agree. I do not need to be thanked for my service, but I appreciate the sentiment and intention whenever it is offered. I do not see how it demeans or takes away from our fallen veterans to do it on Memorial Day. Correcting someone for doing a good deed on the "wrong" day seems counter-productive and nit-picky (if that is a word).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom