Co-signed student loan- Sue the borrower?

14thMed

Recycles dryer sheets
Co-signed a student loan for my neice,who hasn’t made a single payment. Seemed like a good idea at the time.My sister neglected to to tell me her daughter had “issues “. Niece went to medical school but has never practiced. She was medically discharged from the military. So, here is my question— Would it do any good to sue her? Other than make me feel better?

If you cosigned voluntarily, then you agreed to be fully responsible for the loan, so probably not.

Also, if she can't make the loan payments, then she probably doesn't have any assets you could seize even if you won a lawsuit against her.

If you cosigned voluntarily, then you agreed to be fully responsible for the loan, so probably not.

Also, if she can't make the loan payments, then she probably doesn't have any assets you could seize even if you won a lawsuit against her.
She could make the payments but chooses not to.
She has income from her military discharge,but I don’t know if I could get a judgment against that.

Last edited:
I have always lived by the rule that if a parent is not willing to co-sign then I am not willing to co-sign. Not what you want to hear now so sorry for this.

If she is not willing to pay there is little you can do. Now, if she is making money then you can sue and put liens on whatever she owns, but it is a time consuming process. I would not go through it unless she had enough to make it worthwhile...

I would hit my sister up!

Sister has nada! Thats why l signed. I was promised that if niece didn’t pay she would. I’ve been on sis too. The only good thing is I’m on the hook for one year of undergraduate work.

I would ex-communicate the both of them.

The only good thing is I’m on the hook for one year of undergraduate work.

If it is only one year it's probably not worth the time/expense of a lawsuit so it may be better to just suck it up, pay off the loan to keep interest from snowballing, and chalk it up to tuition (yours, not the neice's). Might be worth a conversation with an attorney though, most don't charge much if anything for the initial consultation.

Chalk this one up to experience, and never go down the path again. Life's too short...

Don't forget to amend your will to cut out the niece and her mother.... it would be a nice touch to send them a mark-up showing they have been deleted.

I never lend money with the intent of getting it back. If I get it back, that is great. If I don't, that's OK. I was not expecting it anyway, but there will no more loaned to that individual. Not much difference between lending her money and cosigning the loan.

Does she have money? Or some savings, income, assets that you can attach.

You may get a judgement but it is a just an add on legal expense to your loan write off if she cannot pay.

I never lend money with the intent of getting it back. If I get it back, that is great. If I don't, that's OK. I was not expecting it anyway, but there will no more loaned to that individual. Not much difference between lending her money and cosigning the loan.

Except the deception involved. You are very generous, so just call it a gift if that is what it is.

If someone wants to borrow money and they cannot get credit on their own, that means that the professionals consider them a bad risk. I wouldn't cosign for someone the professionals deem a bad risk. It probably means you will be left holding the bag (as the OP was).

Perhaps it isn't so much the $22k but more that two people that the OP loved said they would make the loan payments and didn't even seem to make even a minimal attempt to do so.... plus the sister withheld relevant information on the niece and welched on her promise to make the payments if the niece didn't... for me it would be more a breach of trust issue than a $$$ issue.... but I'd still be pissed.

OP, has the lender sued your niece to get paid? I read that some states forbids a lender from collecting from a co-signer without first trying to collect from the primary borrower.

There need to be consequences to the sister and niece as a result of their negligence.

Except the deception involved. You are very generous, so just call it a gift if that is what it is.

If someone wants to borrow money and they cannot get credit on their own, that means that the professionals consider them a bad risk. I wouldn't cosign for someone the professionals deem a bad risk. It probably means you will be left holding the bag (as the OP was).

Not necessarily. I lent a friend out here $6k so he could build a tiny home. The tiny home is mostly completed and he is living in it. I receive $300/month and it will be paid off in under a couple of years (no interest). That is how it should work. If he had decided to not pay me, I would have just been out the money. I knew that risk when I lent it to him. It was done on a handshake. My interest in his home was that it was built safely to current code even though it was not required. I got what was important to me and he has a relatively safe tiny home where he will probably live for the rest of his life. He also gets satisfaction of knowing that he is paying his own way which is very important to him.

OP here, PB4 hit the nail on the head. DW and I thought long and hard about signing. But here we had a brilliant niece who was going to be a Physician. What could possibly go wrong with that?
We can’t even confront niece face to face because she is in Hawaii and we are in the Midwest. Of course, I have left messages on her phone but I think she blocked me.
I’ll talk to my lawyer neighbor and see what Wisconsin law has to say.

Last edited:
Bummer. My rule is that there are no loans to relatives, only gifts. Not only do you get stiffed, you lose the relationship.

Do you have an signed agreement with your niece that she will pay you back for your making the student loan payments in the event she defaulted on the loan? That agreement would support a lawsuit.

Last edited:
OP, has the lender sued your niece to get paid? I read that some states forbids a lender from collecting from a co-signer without first trying to collect from the primary borrower.

I'm guessing that right now, if the OP is making payments, the lender won't go after anyone. Maybe if the OP stops payment, but then his own credit rating would suffer, which can affect car insurance rates even if he has no plans to borrow money.

I am not saying that loaning to friends/relatives always ends badly, but it changes the relationship. And if you aren't paid back as agreed, it can ruin the relationship.

Co-signed a student loan for my neice,who hasn’t made a single payment. Seemed like a good idea at the time.My sister neglected to to tell me her daughter had “issues “. Niece went to medical school but has never practiced. She was medically discharged from the military. So, here is my question— Would it do any good to sue her? Other than make me feel better?
If suing and failing to win a judgement while ostracizing you from your family makes you feel better, then go for it. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

Who do you think you would sue? Under what grounds?

I'm assuming you haven't contacted a lawyer yet. Hope you get a good one who talks you out of it cheaply.

Back
Top Bottom