Anthony Bourdain: reportedly dead

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sad, always liked his shows and outlook on other cultures. Safe travels Tony and there will be no more parts unknown.

+2. I’ve been a fan since Kitchen Confidential and all his food/culture/travel shows thereafter. A unique perspective and storytelling style, all the more interesting as he aged out of the drug culture. His appreciation of ALL cultures is sorely lacking in the USA, we need much more of that IMO. Sad.

Last edited:
Shocking and sad.

Apparent suicide. He was in France working on an episode for his show. Found unresponsive in his hotel. Other than that, not other details.

CNN reported that Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode for his show when he was found unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.

Police in Strasbourg, France, where Bourdain was reportedly on location, told ABC News they "did not immediately have information about the death."
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/News/anthony-bourdain-dies-61/story?id=55744428

Shocking and sad.

Apparent suicide. He was in France working on an episode for his show. Found unresponsive in his hotel. Other than that, not other details.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/News/anthony-bourdain-dies-61/story?id=55744428

I wonder why they say “apparent suicide” when all they report was that he was found unresponsive the next morning, and the police say they have no information.

Well, we know reporting on these kinds of things is unreliable at first.

Last edited:
I wonder why they say “apparent suicide” when all they report was that he was found unresponsive the next morning, and the police say they have no information.

Apparently he hanged himself.

+1. Seems a bit mysterious to me also.

I didn't follow his career much as must admit, I am more of a Bizarre Foods watcher. But remember when Bourdain was on the travel channel and he made a guest appearance or two on Bizarre Foods. Was fun seeing both him and Andrew Zimmern together on at the same time.

A sad loss.

Very sad indeed. Always enjoyed his interactions on his shows.

Right away I wonder was he on one of those prescription medications with "thoughts of suicide" side effects listed during the commercials I see running rampant on TV. Seems this is becoming more and more common is our pharma-culture.

RIP Mr Bourdain.

Very sad. One of my favorites. Somehow I'm not surprised but shocked and saddened.

Liked his inclusiveness and being off beat. RIP.

I immediately thought of Robin Williams's suicide due to a horrible diagnosis. Perhaps Bourdain got some terrible news from his doctor. Will miss his show - sometimes he ate some truly bizaare food, but he was always charming and entertaining.

Very sad indeed. Always enjoyed his interactions on his shows.

Right away I wonder was he on one of those prescription medications with "thoughts of suicide" side effects listed during the commercials I see running rampant on TV. Seems this is becoming more and more common is our pharma-culture.

RIP Mr Bourdain.

I think he was a complicated soul with a long and varied history. I have known a couple of folks who committed suicide and neither one of the showed ANY of the signs that you are warned about over and over and over about.

I think he was a complicated soul with a long and varied history. I have known a couple of folks who committed suicide and neither one of the showed ANY of the signs that you are warned about over and over and over about.

Did he not admit to doing tons of drugs at one time? Whenever I see these sudden, unexpected cases of suicide with no apparent motivation it seems sooner or later word gets out of a period of serious drug use in the past. Sometimes distant past. The old public service announcement with the egg in the frying pan. "Your brain on drugs." Just because you seem to be fine today and can say "Hey, I finally cleaned up my act" there could be a some indelible fingerprints on your brain. Little time bombs waiting to go off.

Whenever I see these sudden, unexpected cases of suicide with no apparent motivation it seems sooner or later word gets out of a period of serious drug use in the past.
Ridiculous. "Whenever?" So, every time?

And, is it possible that there's some confusing of cause and effect here? Does drug/alcohol abuse cause suicidal behavior years later, or is it equally/more likely that the neurological imbalances that cause depression make a person more susceptible to both drug use and suicide?

Last edited:
+2. I’ve been a fan since Kitchen Confidential and all his food/culture/travel shows thereafter. A unique perspective and storytelling style, all the more interesting as he aged out of the drug culture. His appreciation of ALL cultures is sorely lacking in the USA, we need much more of that IMO. Sad.

+1
Very sad indeed, I was enjoyed his travels, food, and little history lessons that he mixed in so well.

I watched his shows occasionally, he was a good storyteller as previous said. Guess I will wait and see what additional information comes out.

Did he not admit to doing tons of drugs at one time? Whenever I see these sudden, unexpected cases of suicide with no apparent motivation it seems sooner or later word gets out of a period of serious drug use in the past. Sometimes distant past. The old public service announcement with the egg in the frying pan. "Your brain on drugs." Just because you seem to be fine today and can say "Hey, I finally cleaned up my act" there could be a some indelible fingerprints on your brain. Little time bombs waiting to go off.

Don't need drugs to do that - Alcohol abuse does that too.

Did he not admit to doing tons of drugs at one time?

He did have a substantial drug problem at one time. I try not to "lump" drug abusers into a large group. It is quite possible that he was a very troubled person and in the past had turned to drugs to ease the pain. Mental health (or lack there of) is a very serious issue that isn't taken very seriously with the key players in the health "industry" (and therein lies the problem...industry).

Very sad indeed, and in more than one way.

I thought he looked very haggard and thin the last couple years. Medical problem?

Loved his shows , they were always interesting. Sad to see him gone....

Fame, fortune, money..still choose suicide. It is an interesting world.

Kate Spade and Anthony B should have hopped on the FIRE movement and gotten "out".

Sad.

I thought he looked very haggard and thin the last couple years. Medical problem?
He was in excellent physical shape the last couple years because his former wife Ottavia turned him on to (Brazilian) Jiu Jitsu and a much healthier lifestyle in 2014. He worked out every day, and was probably far healthier in 2018 than he was before 2014.

He was thinner because he was in shape, “haggard” for 61? Though he did burn the candle at both ends when he was much younger.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19536189/anthony-bourdain-abs-brazilian-jiu-jitsu/

Anthony-Bourdain.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom