can you suspend an annuity payment?

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have an annuity that is paying me monthly. In my current situation I do not need the money and it is adding to my tax burden. Is it possible to suspend the payments until I need them or will there be repercussions of some type? will the interest and payments stay the same when I resume? anyone know?

Not typically to my knowledge... but it wouldn't hurt to call the insurer and ask if the contract can be restructured.

How can you do that?
Gill

Pretty sure you can't if it's already been annuitized. And if it hasn't been annuitized only if it's from a "qualified" plan that is also an annuity (like some of the TIAA plans).

Once you take lifetime stream, can't undo. The taxable portion is evenly distributed.

We're currently looking at three inherited annuities, that were not annuitized.

After two calls to this well-known company, we still need to follow up with more calls, to find someone who actually knows all options. These three are rather smallish, and add up to 75K. So we're thinking it is better to settle 1 each year for next three years.

Only a qualified annuity (pre-tax dollars used to purchase) can rollover to an IRA.

Back
Top Bottom