Galveston For Christmas

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are looking at renting a beach house in Galveston Texas for Christmas . Anyone have any experience or any economically ways to do this . We are looking at a three night stay .

After the last big hurricane that hit Galveston, I was wondering if there are many homes even in the area. I saw pictures of the waterfront neighborhoods north of there and there were just a house here and a house there still standing. Communities essentially disappeared.

My cousin is a professional engineer out of Houston specializing in mold abatement. He had a big year after the hurricane as every commercial building down on the coast had to be inspected. And there were problems everywhere along the coast.

If you can find a place to stay, go for it. Or, go south to the Corpus Christi area. Texas weather is pretty good even in Winter.

After the last big hurricane that hit Galveston, I was wondering if there are many homes even in the area. I saw pictures of the waterfront neighborhoods north of there and there were just a house here and a house there still standing. Communities essentially disappeared.

My cousin is a professional engineer out of Houston specializing in mold abatement. He had a big year after the hurricane as every commercial building down on the coast had to be inspected. And there were problems everywhere along the coast.

If you can find a place to stay, go for it. Or, go south to the Corpus Christi area. Texas weather is pretty good even in Winter.

Most everything is rebuilt in Galveston and Crystal Beach, where the most damage was (hurricane Ike) . I was down that way this weekend and it's as busy as ever. I suspect towns like Rockport are still a mess after Harvey though.

Was in Rockport and Port A two weeks ago. Most everything that is going to be rebuilt is done with Rockport just a bit behind Port A. Some houses are still being remodeled but it wouldn’t stop me from going.

We are looking at renting a beach house in Galveston Texas for Christmas . Anyone have any experience or any economically ways to do this . We are looking at a three night stay .

Not sure how familiar you are with Galveston, but the city itself doesn't have much beachfront and no beach houses per se. You have to either go north to the Bolivar Peninsula (Crystal Beach area) or south to Surfside. The town of Galveston itself is a fun place to visit at Christmastime even though it's not the best beach weather.

A B&B would be really cool, but probably not economical that time of year. If you did want to rent a beach cabin, local real estate companies usually handle the listings like this one for Crystal Beach: Crystal Beach & Port Bolivar Rentals | Swede's Real Estate

There are similar companies for Surfside, you just have to search for beach cabin rentals in those towns. Crystal Beach has pretty much completely recovered, but it's not as cheap as it used to be. I'd be surprised if you can find a cabin under $180 a night. Surfside might be a bit cheaper but it's also a little more remote and has less amenities.

Port Aransas has recovered about 50% - you could likely get a suite with a small kitchen a little cheaper than the areas around Galveston if you're willing to go that far. All depends on what you plan to do while you're there.

We stayed in a nice hotel last December there fairly close to the beach for 3 days before a cruise. Their seawall saved them from having more damage.

Back
Top Bottom