It's Battery Charger Time Again

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My AA/AAA Panasonic charger that came with my Eneloop batteries is going on the fritz by identifying too many batteries as bad.

So, I'm looking for a new travel charger. Amazon has one, but that only charges batteries in pairs.

I'd prefer one that can charge odd numbers like 1 or 3 batteries at a time. Oh yeah, and one that isn't too aggressive in thinking batteries are bad like the Panasonic.

I actually have two that I like.

A LaCrosse like the one REWahoo has and another a larger one of a different brand. But am looking more for one that is a bit more portable.

Alternatively, I could probably just bring some freshly charged batteries during trips. But like the idea of recharging as the need arises.

Last edited:
I have the same one as REW. Have had it for years and have been very happy with it.

Battery Back From the Brink

Been going over my batteries and battery chargers lately (I own a lot of chargers, as you can see by the photo :().

Found one D sized NiMh battery that seemed dead which I left idle too long. I don't really use D batteries anymore and have gone purely AA or AAA. To revive the D I tried recharging in a battery charger, but no good. Battery looked dead according to my voltmeter.

Before reading the battery the last rites and moving to the toss pile, I decided to do a quick internet search to see if there's a way to revive a seemingly dead battery.

Found and tried the following:

https://www.instructables.com/id/A-simple-step-to-revive-a-dead-Ni-MH-battery/

Gave that a try (I didn't have a safety pin or steel plate, so just used two pieces of aluminum foil instead) and ... the trick worked! and now I feel like MacGyver :dance:. Took several tries, but the trick got the voltage back above 1 volt and now battery is placed in recharger like normal.

Attachments

• chargers.JPG
    chargers.JPG
    402.8 KB · Views: 10
Found one D sized NiMh battery that seemed dead which I left idle too long. ...

Before reading the battery the last rites and moving to the toss pile, I decided to do a quick internet search to see if there's a way to revive a seemingly dead battery.

Found and tried the following:

https://www.instructables.com/id/A-simple-step-to-revive-a-dead-Ni-MH-battery/

Gave that a try (I didn't have a safety pin or steel plate, so just used two pieces of aluminum foil instead) and ... the trick worked! and now I feel like MacGyver :dance:. Took several tries, but the trick got the voltage back above 1 volt and now battery is placed in recharger like normal.

Oh yes, that's an old trick that's been used for NiCad and NIMH for decades. It blows out some tiny short-circuit growths that can develop. I've normally seen it done by charging a capacitor to ~ 12V, and hitting the dead cell with that. That provides a short burst of energy, so it is unlikely to damage anything.

IME, a battery reclaimed in that way typically has limited life remaining. It does revive it, but I'd bet it's days are numbered.

-ERD50

Oh yes, that's an old trick that's been used for NiCad and NIMH for decades. It blows out some tiny short-circuit growths that can develop. I've normally seen it done by charging a capacitor to ~ 12V, and hitting the dead cell with that. That provides a short burst of energy, so it is unlikely to damage anything.

IME, a battery reclaimed in that way typically has limited life remaining. It does revive it, but I'd bet it's days are numbered.

-ERD50

Discharging a capacitor through the battery to blow away dendrites was a trick I learned more than 40 years ago. And yes, batteries in this condition would be internally shorted out again and again, and after a while I got tired of having to do that repeatedly.

Back
Top Bottom