more tiny homes

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last year (2017) there was a thread 'Granny Pods' here. Here is an a 2017 add-on to that, and because I like the photos.

from the article: "Forget assisted living or RVs, more and more seniors are looking at tiny homes to spend their retirement. In fact, a 2015 survey found that 30% of tiny home residents were between 51 and 70 years old, making senior citizens a huge part of the tiny home movement. As result, more companies are specializing in small residences equipped with comforts specially designed for this unique demographic."

https://mymodernmet.com/tiny-homes-...meJL1pXnemJan_tRGc_iMFz1BDrQgZylty7STlZBEllp0

Many tiny homes are effectively 2 stories, with a sometimes awkward staircase to get up there, which could be an issue.
Aside from that aspect, could work for many.

I would be miserable in one of those.

To me a "tiny" home is in the range of 800 sq. ft.: 166 sq. ft. is a box. And to live in 800 sq. feet (barring involuntary incarceration), I would need to be in an area which is conducive to year round outdoor living.

Tiny homes have certainly been in fashion lately, but there are more and more articles every day from people who regret moving into a tiny home. Zoning issues, relationship issues, personal space issues, maintenance cost issues, very limited kitchen/bath facilities - ever emptied a composting toilet, especially one that’s used 24/7/365? I just read through a half dozen, Google if you’re interested.

Tiny homes have certainly been in fashion lately, but there are more and more articles every day from people who regret moving into a tiny home. Zoning issues, relationship issues, personal space issues, maintenance cost issues, very limited kitchen/bath facilities - ever emptied a composting toilet, especially one that’s used 24/7/365? I just read through a half dozen, Google if you’re interested.

No. And I will admit, this is not an activity that I hope to take-up during retirement.

It's much cheaper to just buy a large travel trailer--35 footer. Get tired of a place, just relocate.

And they also make larger Park Models that are a cross between a travel trailer and a mobile home. They have regular bathroom fixtures and kitchens. They too are much cheaper than the tiny homes we see on television.

Those issues might be why the tiny home business seems to be now marketing to older folks, and why the people in the marketing adverts are mostly single older people. No interpersonal issues, and no children can move back in with you. So I expect that the designs of the tiny homes will change to meet that clientele.

Myself, my retirement house is 1900 sq ft. :)

Ugh. No thanks.
I'm glad I won't have to go that route.

It's much cheaper to just buy a large travel trailer--35 footer. Get tired of a place, just relocate.

And they also make larger Park Models that are a cross between a travel trailer and a mobile home. They have regular bathroom fixtures and kitchens. They too are much cheaper than the tiny homes we see on television.

Some of the travel trailers / mobile homes are just so great that I never have understood the tiny home thing, especially the ones with wheels.

Back
Top Bottom