Difference between a Boomer and Millenial

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When I call my son, and there is no answer, I will leave a message. He NEVER listens to it. Just calls back (or texts). And I know it is not just me, that is what he does for everyone.

When I get a call, and there is a message, I listen first, then call back, IF required (sometimes it is just info, no need to call). If there is no message, I will rarely call back, even if I know the person. If it wasn't worth the time on their part to spend 15 seconds telling me why they called, then it wasn't important.

In hindsight, maybe this should be in the Pet Peeve thread.:D

Hmmm... some of the Silent generation, of which jeanie and I are members, don't even think about texting, as we're the last holdouts and don't use a smartphone.

As a boomer I think it is strange, impersonal, and lazy. I only get a call when they want something. I know it is the "new world" but not cool!

I'm good with texting. Just get used to it. It's the new world

Nah, I live in my world. If they want to contact me they're going to have to make the effort. I don't have a smartphone, have no interest in getting one, so I don't do texting. Besides, I'm sure voicemail will come back since that's easier than texting anyway.

I'm good with texting. Just get used to it. It's the new world

We text all the time, I am fine with that. And often will text before a call, to see if he is available. But please listen to the voicemail. There could be something you need to hear.

Maybe he’s trying to get back to you as quickly as possible. That could be a good thing.

He is usually good with that. Just commenting about the generational difference. I suspect, in the not to distant future, voice mail will be obsolete.

Of course, my MIL and departed parents would think voicemail was impersonal. So it goes.

We text all the time, I am fine with that. And often will text before a call, to see if he is available. But please listen to the voicemail. There could be something you need to hear.

So, you know he does this because he’s done it enough times that you’ve noticed a pattern. And yet, you waste time leaving a message that you know he won’t listen to?

Tell us more about his irrational and annoying behavior.

So, you know he does this because he’s done it enough times that you’ve noticed a pattern. And yet, you waste time leaving a message that you know he won’t listen to?

Tell us more about his irrational and annoying behavior.

Actually, most of the time the message starts with : "I know you will never listen to this, but...."

Yes, I have learned the behavior, but that doesn't mean I like it, or can't complain about it.

Does he have an answering machine, or an answering service that he must call to collect his messages? That's what I have thru Verizon.

When there's a message, I have to call to poll the messages. Or, I can just look at the Caller ID log to see who called when I was out, and I call them back. I don't use the service because it requires a phone call to retrieve and listen to the messages.

The "answering machines" of yore you just had to hit "play" to hear the recording.

My boomer Mom, until recently, would call and leave a message, usually something like "I don't know why I'm bothering because I'm sure you won't listen to this but....blah blah".

She's probably nowadays more adept at texting than I am (GenX). Nowadays, if Mom or Dad call unexpectedly without a text, I'm like...oh no what happened...

Millenials as a group seem to avoid phone calls completely. They don't like to talk on the phone or get phone calls.

Me, I prefer a quick email, but that will probably die before voicemail.

Nah, I live in my world. If they want to contact me they're going to have to make the effort. I don't have a smartphone, have no interest in getting one, so I don't do texting. Besides, I'm sure voicemail will come back since that's easier than texting anyway.

Heck, they already have it...

I have seen people talking in their phone and then sending it as a voice text!

Still do not know why talking to the other person is not easier and faster...

At least it doesn’t sound like a situation with the most-feared voicemail of all:

“It’s your mother. Call me back.”

(click)

Both of my children recruit and hire employees. They both claim that millennials do not have a work ethic, they want a trophy for just showing up. Today an older applicant with the needed skills and a decent work record is preferred.

I'm surprised by the responses. I find texting easier and more efficient. Texting is easy to read accurately, voicemails can be garbled and can't be heard in noisy situations.

Does he have an answering machine, or an answering service that he must call to collect his messages? That's what I have thru Verizon.

When there's a message, I have to call to poll the messages. Or, I can just look at the Caller ID log to see who called when I was out, and I call them back. I don't use the service because it requires a phone call to retrieve and listen to the messages.

The "answering machines" of yore you just had to hit "play" to hear the recording.

Not sure where to start here. DS hasn't seen an answering machine since he was about 12. Not sure if he would remember what the blinking light meant. No landline, just cell, with voicemail.

My boomer Mom, until recently, would call and leave a message, usually something like "I don't know why I'm bothering because I'm sure you won't listen to this but....blah blah".

She's probably nowadays more adept at texting than I am (GenX). Nowadays, if Mom or Dad call unexpectedly without a text, I'm like...oh no what happened...

Millenials as a group seem to avoid phone calls completely. They don't like to talk on the phone or get phone calls.

Me, I prefer a quick email, but that will probably die before voicemail.

DS (and his friends that we know) has already abandoned email. If we send an email, we need to text to tell him to check.:facepalm:

Anyway, it is not all bad. DW keeps in touch with his SO via Facebook.

FWIW, this is not about my son in particular, but the way communication is changing. Not saying it is bad, but please make some accomodation for us old f*rts.

And back to Aerides point about texting, I am finding that we and our boomer friends are getting pretty good at that (which probably means it is about to die, like voicemail):LOL:

At least it doesn’t sound like a situation with the most-feared voicemail of all:

“It’s your mother. Call me back.”

(click)

You just quoted every voicemail ever received from MIL :LOL::LOL::LOL:

We have tried to tell her to let us know the importance, and she is getting better.

I'm surprised by the responses. I find texting easier and more efficient. Texting is easy to read accurately, voicemails can be garbled and can't be heard in noisy situations.

I'm with Mr. Tightwad on that one (though I prefer email to texting, but same reasons).

There are several reasons that make the phone more difficult. Both you and the other party need to be available at the same time. A text/email can be answered later, maybe just a minute or two later, and you don't have to jump and stop what you are doing.

Tex/email less likely to be misunderstood. Text/email can be done silently. Text/email provides a record.

When you get into a lot of back/forth, a phone call can cut through that better sometimes. Pick the right tool for the job.

-ERD50

I also use Mighty Text (software) and send and receive texts from my Chromebook. For 75, I'm pretty high tech (except for Facebook, which I despise).

After months of frustration and inconsistency I gave up on Mighty Text and switched to Yappy. Only used it for a couple of weeks but so far, so good.

I don't seem to have any issues with it. Maybe because my phone is usually near the Chromebook and we have pretty good wireless capabilities?

I'll look into Yappy just to see if I like it better. Thanks.:)

Heck, they already have it...

My Wife (a millennial) always send me voice texts. Most of the time it is easier then reading her English, as she can text at amazing speed but does not check for errors and English is a second language.

My son does the exact same thing, with the exception he always calls me back. He will only text if he sees I have called and won’t be able to call back for awhile....he’ll fire off a quick text telling me he’ll call me later. NEVER listens to my voicemail.

It used to annoy me until I realized that it really doesn’t matter. He always calls me as soon as he can. Yes, I have to repeat my “message” but it beats the alternative of him ignoring me.

Now if he always texted me back and asked me what I wanted, THEN I would get really annoyed as I wouldn’t want to type it all out. Instead, I’d be typing “Listen to the message, son!” [emoji34]

Back
Top Bottom