Using Contact Lenses?

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am creeping up on 45 years old and my "young eyes" aren't so young anymore. My vision isn't *bad* (near vision is 20/20 or better, far vision is 20/50) but I like the clearness that glasses give me when watching TV, driving, or when just out and about. I have a love/hate relationship with my glasses...love everything about them except trying to keep them clean! It's an obsession...I can't have dirty and/or streaked glasses. As hard as I try, there seems to be something on them ALL THE TIME and I am cleaning them constantly. I debated Lasik, but the risk/benefit just isn't there as far as I am concerned. So...the next option might be contacts. BUT...I have never worn contacts. DW has worn them for years and offers little insight, but my Mom had them for a bit but had nothing but issues with them.

So...the question is...are they *really* that big of a pain? How hard is it to get used to sticking stuff in your eye? Do they stay nice and clear all the time? If you once wore them but don't anymore...why?

Opinions are appreciated!

I prefer the glasses these days. I use lens cleaners from CVS. One wipe in the morning and, unless I do something stupid the lenses stay clean throughout the day.

I wear glasses. I clean them once a day, usually when I'm going to go out, windex and paper towel as mine are glass (not softer plastic).

I did try contacts, sticking your finger in your eye is hard. REALLY hard.
Besides that, you have to remove them each night (best not to sleep with them as your dreams won't be any sharper :) ).

I worried about fungus growing on them, I had the kind you clean regularly, not wear once and toss away.
It really was a hassle so I switched back to glasses.

With glasses you can get photogray so they darken like sunglasses automatically outside, contacts won't do that, so you end up wearing sunglasses outside anyhow :facepalm:

With your vision, and assuming no astigmatism, I think you would happy with contacts. In my case with a pretty severe astigmatism and correction for both distance and near, I find contacts uncomfortable in artificial light. I can wear them outside at the pool or beach or playing golf.

Putting them in and taking them out can be a chore for some, but I never had a problem.

If I were you, I would get exam, for contacts specifically. They will normally give you one pair to try out, as part of the exam.

Just my n=1 observations. I have worn contacts for 45 years. I am now 58. Overall, contacts have been fine with no pain and great vision. In the last few years, probably not due to the contacts, I have developed dry eyes. This is diminishing my vision clarity and while not painful, it is noticeable. If you suffer from dry eyes, it will impact contact clarity.

Have you thought about lasik? I am not a candidate due to other eye issues. BIL just had the surgery and is very impressed.

My eyes have gone through a number of changes, but when I required some correction all the time, I had contacts, then a single contact. I found wearing them a breeze. DW, on the other hand, has dry eyes and could never make them work. My recommendation is to go to a good ophthalmologist and seek their opinion. You can buy a small supply of contacts or maybe get free samples from the doc and try it out.

I really hate glasses, so it was a real win for me to wear contacts when I needed them.

I've been wearing contact lenses since the early 1980's and dread the day, if ever, that I have to give them up. Like you I hated glasses. There is always some distracting speck of dirt or lint on them and reflections at night are distracting. The first lenses I had were hard contacts (1980's, remember) but the more recent soft lenses I understand take virtually no getting used to. They use some type of plastic that is on the order of 75% water. Yes, if I think about it I can feel them, but it isn't an issue for me. As always with something as personal as that YMMV.

DW tried them, but couldn't get past putting something on her eyeball. Being used to them I don't think about it. If you wanted, you could try the extended wear ones, that (depending on your eyes) stay in for a week at a time and are then thrown out, or cleaned and reused, depending on the lenses.

Following directions regarding cleanliness and time limits on wear is crucial. I am meticulous about that and have never had any issues with infections or anything else. Every eye doc I've ever asked has said that is the main problem with contact lenses and the vast majority of problems that people have with them is caused by not following directions. At the first sign of any irritation mine come out.

Last edited:
I wore contacts for years when I was younger, started with the old "hard" lenses, then moved to the more gas permeable ones. I had no problems with them when I used them and I have very poor vision and astigmatism. As I got older, my eyes got drier and they just weren't comfortable anymore.
You do have to get used to putting something in your eye! My daughter was never able to do that, as much as she wanted to wear contacts.

59, been wearing contacts for decades. They work fine for me. And do a better job of correcting my vision than glasses will. Gas permeable hard contacts.

I need reading glasses though!

I actually sleep in mine most days of the week. Only take them out overnight occasionally.

I tried wearing contacts twice in my life - once in the 80's with the hard lenses and once later on with the soft lenses. Both times I tried them for 6 months. I could never get used to them being in my eyes. My eyes would be so tired at the end of the day it was a huge relief to take them out and put my glasses back on. So I have just stuck with my glasses since then.

If I were you, I would get exam, for contacts specifically. They will normally give you one pair to try out, as part of the exam.

How is the prescription for contacts different than glasses, OP already has a prescription for glasses, so if astigmatism, he could simply buy some disposable ones on Amazon and try it out.
His wife already uses them so she can coach him.

How is the prescription for contacts different than glasses, OP already has a prescription for glasses, so if astigmatism, he could simply buy some disposable ones on Amazon and try it out.

I *thought* it was a different type of prescription? Well, I learned something new today!

Edit...it appears that you need a specific exam for contacts (according to 1800 Contacts, anyway)

Contact lens and glasses prescriptions are not the same. A contact lens must match the size and shape of your eye. Therefore, a prescription for contact lenses contains information like base curve and diameter, as well as brand. Also, glasses rest about 12 millimeters from your eyes, while contacts sit directly on the eye. Contact lenses made to conform to a glasses prescription would be stronger than necessary, which could cause vision problems. Finally, your glasses are shaped to correct for astigmatism (irregular curve in the cornea or lens). However, contacts must be designed to fit the astigmatism, if there is one. If you have a prescription for glasses and would like to try contacts, visit your eye doctor for a new exam and contact lens fitting.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the prescriptions for glasses and contact lenses are significantly different. The reason is that the contact lens sits directly on the eyeball and the glasses lens is farther forward (duh!) but supposedly this means that a glasses prescription cannot be used for a contact lens, and the reverse is true as well.

I *thought* it was a different type of prescription? Well, I learned something new today!

Edit...it appears that you need a specific exam for contacts (according to 1800 Contacts, anyway)

Have worn contacts off and on for >40 years, and extended wear (30 days, sleep in them) exclusively for the last 25+ years. Haven’t filled an eyeglass prescription since.

Putting them in and taking them out did take some getting used to, and even today I have to use a mirror for both.

Was nearsighted, and as I got into my mid-40’s needed to use reading glasses with them. About 10 years ago, Doc suggested I try a single lens in my dominant eye. That eliminated the need for readers, and my nearsightedness has diminished as I’ve aged.

Consider this an unqualified recommendation to try them

I wear the single use soft contact lenses, but just for movie theaters and driving at night. They work great with no maintenance, since they are thrown away after each usage.

Retired Optometrist here. Contact and glasses prescriptions are NOT the same. The contact Rx must specify power (which may or may not be different from glasses), the brand of contacts, the base curve and the diameter. You simply can't go to Amazon and order any if you are a new wearer. You have to go through a fitting period in which trial contacts are dispensed, evaluated as to fit, comfort and vision before the finalized contact prescription is dispensed. Only then and after you have been educated about contact handling and care can you order them.

It's not a good idea to have a friend or spouse coach a new wearer, who knows what kind of bad habits they have.....

I am creeping up on 45 years old and my "young eyes" aren't so young anymore. My vision isn't *bad* (near vision is 20/20 or better, far vision is 20/50) but I like the clearness that glasses give me when watching TV, driving, or when just out and about. I have a love/hate relationship with my glasses...love everything about them except trying to keep them clean! It's an obsession...I can't have dirty and/or streaked glasses. As hard as I try, there seems to be something on them ALL THE TIME and I am cleaning them constantly. I debated Lasik, but the risk/benefit just isn't there as far as I am concerned. So...the next option might be contacts. BUT...I have never worn contacts. DW has worn them for years and offers little insight, but my Mom had them for a bit but had nothing but issues with them.

So...the question is...are they *really* that big of a pain? How hard is it to get used to sticking stuff in your eye? Do they stay nice and clear all the time? If you once wore them but don't anymore...why?

Opinions are appreciated!

One thing you need to be aware of is that you are getting into the age range that you will start having problems with your near vision (presbyopia). If you don't have glasses or contacts on, no problems, but with them on you will start to have issues with your close vision if not now soon.
If that happens you have a choice between monovision (one eye set for distance and the other for near) or multifocal contacts.
If you like clear, crisp vision you may not care for either option. The other option is to put reading glasses over contacts, but that to me defeats the whole purpose of the contacts.

I use monovision and I love it. No problems at all. Tried multifocals and never could see as well with them. I actually have great distance vision but lousy close up and the monovision works perfectly for me. But not all people can adapt to it.

I would suggest going and having and exam and getting a free trial pair of contacts they will give you. If your near vision is still good, great, but be aware it will degrade in the next several years. Contacts really are not difficult to learn to get in and out, just takes a little practice and patience. Once you get it, it's easy. Most people go with some type of disposable lens now. I use dailies, put them in in the morning and throw them out at night.

Last edited:
Contacts here. Never thought I would love them as much as I do. Did not have any vanity about wearing glasses. It was actually a series of events that led me to wearing contacts...

I didn’t need corrective lenses at all until six years ago. At first, I could get by without wearing them while participating in my more active hobbies. But four years ago I started wearing my glasses while biking, hiking, and kayaking. Whitewater kayaking with Rx glasses is not good. I risked losing or breaking my glasses and I couldn’t see through the spots when I got splashed. So I got a prescription for contacts.

I was very nervous about sticking a finger in my eye, but after a few days of putting contacts in I got used to it. I used multifocal lenses for the first year, but switched to monovision after consulting with my optometrist and letting her know my priorities. In my case, the benefits of wearing contacts on the river far outweigh any inconvenience.

I need to figure out if I can wear my contacts to play pickleball. I had them in the first time we played and I was having trouble tracking the ball. Since then I’ve been wearing my progressive lens glasses (the competition is too tough for me to keep up if I can’t see). I’ll try the contacts again sometime when DH and I are doing drills.

I’ve worn contacts for 30 years. I only wear glasses around the house, usually after I take out my contacts.

I buy disposable contacts at Costco. They work great. Never have to clean them and when they start bothering me, I swap them out for another set, which is usually every couple of weeks.

I’ve thought about Lasik, but it’s not worth the risk to me. Contacts don’t bother me and work well.

Retired Optometrist here. Contact and glasses prescriptions are NOT the same. The contact Rx must specify power (which may or may not be different from glasses), the brand of contacts, the base curve and the diameter. You simply can't go to Amazon and order any if you are a new wearer. You have to go through a fitting period in which trial contacts are dispensed, evaluated as to fit, comfort and vision before the finalized contact prescription is dispensed. Only then and after you have been educated about contact handling and care can you order them.

It's not a good idea to have a friend or spouse coach a new wearer, who knows what kind of bad habits they have.....

My experience is like said here. I'd say it took a good 6 months from the time I made my first contact lens appointment until I was ordering a prescription of 6 months worth of lenses. My personal main problem was I have an astigmatism and I swear what ever brand I tried, either one lens or the other was wrong in some way. I'd try another of the exact same lens and it would be different still. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. What a pain once I got a prescription to change out an old pair for a new and my vision was worse than with the old lenses and I'd have to toss the new lens, open another and try again.

I wear my contacts now only when I am doing outdoor sports; fishing, kayaking, and most especially skiing, where goggles and glasses fogging when going indoors/outdoors.

Contacts are not cheap either. About 30% more than regular glasses.

Success with contacts is very individual. I wanted to wear contacts so bad, I tried three times over a span of 15 years. Failed each time. I have “tight eyelids” [emoji14] and getting them in was a major event. Yeah, I slowly got better at it, but it was never easy. But for me, the worst part was....they ALWAYS made my eyes “itch”. I always knew they were there and they bothered me. Last time I tried them, I needed reading glasses when I had them in - but no longer needed regular glasses to read. I figured I was in glasses 50% of the time either way....so I gave up permanently on the contacts.

My daughter, on the other hand, bought contacts, popped them in, and has never looked back.

Try them. If you can wear them, you’ll probably love them. If you can’t.....you’ll know soon enough!

DH went to Costco optometrist for a new glasses prescription and I talked him into trying contacts for the first time since he was in his 20s. The eye doctor charged I think $30 more for a contacts prescription and ordered two pairs of contacts for DH to try, at no cost—one was a two-week disposable and one a 30-day disposable (you take them out every night and clean them and soak them). DH also got a new pair of glasses.

DH had no trouble with the contacts but his glasses are bifocals and the contacts were not, and he did not want to deal with reading glasses or trying the one near, one far correction system, so he never ordered the contacts after wearing them for a few days.

So if you have a Costco nearby, I suggest that route as it is very cheap to test drive contacts there.

Back
Top Bottom