I'm on a pitcrew , ready to go

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Neighbor is 81 and is racing in the county Demolition Derby this evening . Asked if I want to be on hi Pit crew . Right now it is just me . His DW hates it and his kids won't come out. He has a bone to pick with some kin folk of his from Burnett Texas so he is prepared to knock them out . So my name is on an old Lincoln TC . I get to ride in the parade . I am so stoked Grimes county is gonna kick ass Waller county watch out ! We leave Anderson Texas to drive these cars to Waller County fair . Then parade and salute to Vets. Then lets Demo.

https://wallercountyfair.org/public/demo_derby.php

That is not exactly my type of racing, but I bet you will have fun. Enjoy!

Neighbor is 81 and is racing in the county Demolition Derby this evening . Asked if I want to be on hi Pit crew . Right now it is just me . His DW hates it and his kids won't come out. He has a bone to pick with some kin folk of his from Burnett Texas so he is prepared to knock them out . So my name is on an old Lincoln TC . I get to ride in the parade . I am so stoked Grimes county is gonna kick ass Waller county watch out ! We leave Anderson Texas to drive these cars to Waller County fair . Then parade and salute to Vets. Then lets Demo.

https://wallercountyfair.org/public/demo_derby.php

Great story! Hope you guys win!

That is great! Having fun and I'm sure you made your neighbor very happy for being part of his venture. Outstanding.

If possible give us an update, thanks.

That sounds like a riot! Have a great time.

Have a great time. I've never seen a demolition derby in person, only on TV. Wish they had in my area because they look like a lot of fun. Post back on how the day and evening went.

Demo derby are great fun to watch. There are almost derby pros that really take it serious and have all kinds of tricks to help a car survive and hopefully win.

Have a lot of fun and enjoy the parade and evening. It sounds like a great time to me.

My dad used to take me all the time as a kid and it was so much fun. Have a great time!

Sounds like a blast! Please do post an update afterwards preferably with photos or video.

you know what they say...rubbings racing

Have fun. Sounds like a blast

It can be a blast. But the pits are also a very dangerous place. Noise is typically so high that you will not hear a car coming into the pits, so you need to be constantly aware and watching traffic. It is not at all uncommon for a crew guy attending to a car to get hit or for an incoming car to hit one that is parked.

Fueling, particularly around what are basically street cars, is incredibly dangerous. That is why the pros wear fire resistant suits. If there is any chance you will be around fueling, wear only long pants and long sleeves made with natural fibers like cotton and wool. Synthetics will turn into burning glue on your skin.

I ran my first demo car when I was 16, just after I got my real license. It was a 54 Mercury, if I remember correctly. Fun, Fun, Fun!

It can be a blast. But the pits are also a very dangerous place. Noise is typically so high that you will not hear a car coming into the pits, so you need to be constantly aware and watching traffic. It is not at all uncommon for a crew guy attending to a car to get hit or for an incoming car to hit one that is parked.

Fueling, particularly around what are basically street cars, is incredibly dangerous. That is why the pros wear fire resistant suits. If there is any chance you will be around fueling, wear only long pants and long sleeves made with natural fibers like cotton and wool. Synthetics will turn into burning glue on your skin.

A demolition derby really does not have any of the regular racing needs for a pit crew... the car is pretty well destroyed in a few minutes and it is hauled off...

Heck, I did not know they had a pit crew...

Results of our racing evening ! We didn't win . Demo Derby in Texas is the 4th of July , WWF and family reunion . Yes you must be prepared My 81 YO Neighbor had his radiator moved to a tank behind his seat , chained the rear end to the frame , notched the trunk space so it would bang up and not down. Also cut a notch in the firewall for his dist. He has done derby before , he has a buckle to show off .
All day we had Tornado warnings , but still Derby is on . Traditionally our county drivers drive their cars to the derby , but not yesterday. Trailers , lowboy even a towbar. So we all arrive together my neighbor demands we take his car off the lowboy so he can drive into the gates . Then all the guys did it . We drove our cars from a BBQ to the Arena .
This Derby paid 7000.00 2 classes heavy and light . 2000/ 1000 / 500 and points that get you an invite to the Texas state fair Derby. SO they have a parade in the Arena for each class , not really a parade but we all sat on neighbors car trunk and roof and paraded in single file . Each car had their own ID song . His Great Grandson had Rock you like a Hurricane played as they announced us . They say a prayer and the National Anthem . Now lets go ! CV another neighbor / chief mechanic moved the distributor for some timing reason . so off we go ! Bam the old Ford hits an old Olds neighbor goes forward bam he hits another car . By this time we are so stoked . Then his engine starts sputtering . bam , Bam he can't protect himself finally we are stopped . OUT . They tow us back to the pits sledge men me pound out anything touching tires or engine parts . Neighbor when CV reset the timing something wasn't tight . On to the Consolation we must make the main . Air up the tires more Fix a Flat more tranny and radiator sealer .
The consolation was a hell of a battle . The youngest driver was 16 and our neighbor was the oldest . We also had 2 other county boys in the Consi. We were doing so good when bam an old Imperial hit the front wheelwell . It knocked the wheel crazy and it would no longer turn . My neighbor is getting beat all around the arena but still crawling . Finally the same Chrysler hits him head on and our driveshaft fell to the ground. My neighbor reaches up and breaks his white flag we were finished. We won nothing he sold the car for scrap 225.00

The good thing nobody was hurt all night , and the Derby earned 130.000.00 for scholarship money . The Celebration for Waller Texas was splendid a Derby Queen and court and a flyover of 3 prop airplanes . Would I do it again ….YES !

Last edited:
It sounds like a great time. Do they have regular demolition derbies in your area or only 1 or 2 a year? God, I would have loved to see it.

Back
Top Bottom