Airless Paint Sprayers

wyecrabber1

Recycles dryer sheets
Need to paint the interior of the house from top to bottom, replacing all the doors with 6 panel interior doors -- those need painting. I good at painting, I just don't like it -- would prefer to spend my time doing other stuff. But, I'm too cheap to pay someone, to do something I can do.

Looking at airless painter sprayers -- I have a 6 gallon compressor, but it doesn't have the flow rate for a HVLP sprayers. Thinking of picking up a Wagner Control Pro sprayer for $190.00. Anyone have any experience feedback on using one of these?

Thanks!!!

It's been a very long time since I've used one. My advice is, don't buy one. You can rent a much better quality professional model at the paint store. There's no faster way to paint, but you may want to practice on a couple of panels before you start because they put down paint very quickly and take a little getting used to. The pressure is so high, the guard on the front of the nozzle is so you don't cut your finger off with the sprayer. IIRC, the pump has to be primed. Try to find someone who knows how to use it to help get you started - or Youtube might be good if you can't find someone.

Last edited:
I have used Wagner airless sprayer many years ago. It was very loud and the spray pattern/drop size was not good at all.

I'm assuming the sprayer is just for the doors, you aren't talking about spraying the interior walls, etc (you'll roll those). I bought an inexpensive HVLP setup from Harbor Freight and have used it many times. It did a >great< job on a set of those louvered bifold closet doors that are very hard to paint with a brush (due to drips, etc). It went very quickly with the sprayer. The paint (interior latex) had to be thinned a bit with water to spray well, but that was no problem at all--sure, the coat was a little thinner, so I added another one for full coverage in about 2 minutes.

Here's the one I got. Less than $100 with the ubiquitous 20% off coupons that seem to be everywhere.

Are you painting everything (walls, ceiling, trim) the same color, changing the existing color? Never used a paint sprayer for interior work, would be concerned that the over spray/mist would be hard to control and mask off. Just finished painting a couple rooms in my house using rollers/brushes. The painting is the easy part, it's all the prep work that takes time.

Would agree with the above, doors would be a good choice for spaying, can remove and take them outside.

Interior walls. Use roller. Much easier. (spray works, but prep time longer. need to cover everything).

If "cottage cheese" ceilings, spray painter works fine.

Many years ago, I used paint sprayer, where you "pull paint" from 5 gallon bucket.
Painted interior and exterior houses.
Safety: I wore "respirator". Not simple paint mask. Especially when painting indoors.

You have long hose, and paint/gun. (light, easy to use).

Smaller units. Where the paint containers and paint spray gun are one piece, can be
heavy and require constant re-filling. Extra work, and messy.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom