Own a rental in MI but live in another state?

Stonewalker

Recycles dryer sheets
Just wondering if anyone here owns a rental property in Michigan but lives in another state. Even a part-time rental. What are the tax implications? Is it just too much of a PIA?

Thanks in advance.

Owning a Long distance rental is a GIANT PIA.
Either you make long trips, or pay through the nose to fix issues.
People also often pay a management firm (which does not care about costs) to manage the property, but you are still liable for everything, and pay for the repairs on top of the management fee.

Did this with Ohio and Texas . Lost our AZZ. As they have said you can't control everything . We ended it with a tenant we didn't even know was in our house . We used a Century 21 Office to manage it . The tenant demanded his deposit because his son had astma and the house was 11 miles from a hospital . The property manager told us the house was in a racial community and Ohio always leans to the tenant so we should give the deposit back . Wife refused and the tenant really messed the house up. Total damages 10k we were so upset we sold without repairing ! Don't try it , when they know you are far away everyone takes shots at you. Including the property managers.

Being a landlord in the city in which the property sits is a PITA. So, I cannot imagine doing it from a long distance. And I'm as fond of property managers as I am of timeshare salespeople.

Back
Top Bottom