Wealth is...

Tekward

Recycles dryer sheets
I like this from Alan Weiss:

"You can always create more money, but you can never create more time.
The key to real wealth is the ability to create and allocate discretionary time. The freedom to work or play, laugh or sing, rejoice or grieve, as we see fit when we see fit, is the real indicator of true wealth. Money is merely a means to an end."

He's a consultant with a solid philosophy:
"I could make more money, if I chose, but at a cost that would decrease my wealth."
https://alanweiss.com/being-rich-is-not-being-wealthy/

Last edited:
Agree and that's one reason we are all here in ER.

I always enjoy it when someone tells me that real wealth is... whatever it is that they happen to have.

Same with:
- the real key to happiness is...
- a real man is...
- a real woman is...
- yada, yada, yada...

I always enjoy it when someone tells me that real wealth is... whatever it is that they happen to have....

Good point. I propose that we define it as "whatever joeea has". Of course, that means you'll have to tell us what that is, so we can know if we have real wealth or not.

Good point. I propose that we define it as "whatever joeea has". Of course, that means you'll have to tell us what that is, so we can know if we have real wealth or not.

Sorry, I'm not sharing.

I'm sure everyone here has their own real wealth. No need for anyone to worry.

Agree and that's one reason we are all here in ER.

Yep! Definitely could’ve had more money working longer, but that wasn’t what we needed or wanted.

In order of importance, real wealth for DW and myself has been:
- safety and security
- a loving family
- good heath, or at least access to good care as needed
- a supportive community of friends and coworkers
- the ability to make creative contributions throughout life
- money

Atom

Yep. ? Was it Bogle who said the operative word was 'enough'.

heh heh heh - :cool:
Bogle was a great man who helped many folks reach FI, self included.

But it’s always curious to me when someone with a net worth of $80 million tells us all about “enough.” It would be a lot more convincing from someone with a net worth more like us...

According to Einstein, it's space-time.

I like this from Alan Weiss:

"You can always create more money, but you can never create more time.
The key to real wealth is the ability to create and allocate discretionary time. The freedom to work or play, laugh or sing, rejoice or grieve, as we see fit when we see fit, is the real indicator of true wealth. Money is merely a means to an end."

He's a consultant with a solid philosophy:
"I could make more money, if I chose, but at a cost that would decrease my wealth."
https://alanweiss.com/being-rich-is-not-being-wealthy/

I agree.

I always enjoy it when someone tells me that real wealth is... whatever it is that they happen to have.

Same with:
- the real key to happiness is...
- a real man is...
- a real woman is...
- yada, yada, yada...
I think joeea can apply for the job of Forum Cynic. His posts reflect great skill at that endeavour.

I think joeea can apply for the job of Forum Cynic. His posts reflect great skill at that endeavour.

Thank you!

I'm retired so I don't want a job. But just for fun, what does that job pay?

:cool:

"You can always create more money, but you can never create more time.... Money is merely a means to an end."

Agreed. Although, to me, using the word 'merely' makes money sound like an afterthought or superfluous. But, I submit that 'more money' is the basis for getting all that free time.

Thank you!

I'm retired so I don't want a job. But just for fun, what does that job pay?

:cool:
It's a volunteer job. Assuming that no matter what it paid you would criticize it [emoji16][emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom