401k rollover question

Klubbie

Recycles dryer sheets
Last year I changed employers and rolled my 401k over from the Fidelity 401k administered through my employer to a rollover IRA (still) with Fidelity.

This was last summer. In January of this year, my former employer deposited ~ $200 into that old 401k. Since I had already rolled the 401k to an IRA, there was only ~$200 sitting in that account. Since the dollar amount was so low they cut me a check to disperse the money to me. My plan had been to just roll it into the rollover IRA, but since the check was dispersed to me before I initiated the rollover I now have a $200 check.

Is there any way I can still get this into the rollover IRA without paying taxes and penalty on this? Or am I SOL and just going to be able to take it and invest into the rollover IRA as a contribution for this year and then pay the taxes/penalty on the ~$200?

You should be able to deposit it in IRA without a problem.
Tell custodian it is a rollover from 401K.

You have 60 days to rollover.
Since you got the check in January and its now June you will have to treat it as a distribution and pay the penalty if younger than 59.5.

You have 60 days to rollover.
Since you got the check in January and its now June you will have to treat it as a distribution and pay the penalty if younger than 59.5.

good point........completely missed the timing issue...:facepalm:
good thing you came along.

I actually didn't get the check until April. The cash was unexpectedly dropped into my account in January. I had planned to roll it over but hadn't done anything with it yet until recently.

kaneohe, I took your advice above and think i got it deposited electronically earlier today.

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom