Poll:2014 taxes for 2013, filed or extended?

Did you file your 2014 taxes, or request an extension?

• Filed *whew*

Votes: 75 88.2%
  • Extended *put 'em off*

Votes: 10 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I filed ours and Mom's a couple of weeks ago. Forgot her 1QA estimated. I really need to set her up with EFTPS.

I had Mom on EFTPS for a year or two. It got to be a hassle with managing PINS/passwords etc in that she does not have her own email. If I recall correctly EFTPS does not allow you to setup permanent recurring payments either.

This year I modified her SS so that Federal withholding would occur from her monthly payment. I downloaded the form, had her sign it, and dropped it off at the drop-box at the local SS office. We received an acknowledgement from Social Security Administration within a few weeks of this. Problem Solved!

-gauss

Filed several weeks ago and refunds received. We were off on our projections for 2013 so refunds were higher than we like... should be better this year.

E-filed yesterday since we owed a substantial chunk due to an unexpected windfall. Complete return, including Fed, IN and KY, ran 72 pages.

Glad to be retired with my business closed and no longer any rental condo. Next year's return should be much more reasonable!

Filed and sent healthy checks to the fed and Oregon governments on 4/5 for tax due and quarterlies. Sold a place for cash right at the end of 2013. Whuff! On the good side, we got to use up the last of a bad debt loss we had been carrying?

Well I filed my 2013 taxes which is what I assume the poll was asking.

Filed on the 14th via efile. So what happens? On the morning of the 15th I get a corrected 1009B from Morgan Stanley related to some stock options from my former company that I exercised.

Changes my tax due by about $1k in my favor. So now I have to file an amended return. Very frustrating that they wait until the morning of the 15th of April to send the corrected 1099.

I had Mom on EFTPS for a year or two. It got to be a hassle with managing PINS/passwords etc in that she does not have her own email. If I recall correctly EFTPS does not allow you to setup permanent recurring payments either.

I think you are correct, each year you can set up scheduled payments for the current tax year only.

Filed in March. Pretty uneventful.. Just how I like it.

I fill out tax returns for my ladyfriend, my best friend (the one I ranted about in another thread), and me using pen and paper with the help of spreadsheets. My ladyfriend's was easy although it was not apparent right away because she donated her dying car to charity which would have required a special form. However, she ended up with the Standard Deduction but could not use one of the short forms because she had done a small rollover of an IRA into her 403b plan and had a tiny state income tax refund the year before when she had itemized.

My own taxes were pretty easy this time because for the first time in 25 years I had neither Schedule A nor Schedule D, so I was able to use 1040A. I still had that somewhat annoying dividends and LTCG worksheet but it is part of my spreadsheet. With no W-2 forms any more (yay!), all I had was the form and the payment voucher and the check.

My friend's tax return was more complicated (he pays me). He had lots of investment income (several 1099s) and wage income including 2 W-2s and a 1099-R with taxes withheld. He also had an odd Form 8949 because a dividend was from a company which had been sold to a foreign-based company so it fell under ADR as a LTCG.

All 3 of us filed our returns at the end of March and the beginning of April because we all owed except for my ladyfriend's state return where she once again has a tiny refund coming.

I do our taxes as the forms come in, so I usually know by mid-February if we have to pay or get a refund. This year for the first time in several years we were due large federal and state refunds, so I filed a month ago. Years when we break even or owe I complete the forms in March but do not push the "e-file" button until April 14th.

Back
Top Bottom