What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

I buy about 1 Kindle book a week from Amazon. I still can't believe I can buy a book online and start reading it within a minute on my iPad. Saves me a lot of trips to the bookstore.

A great little game called Zingo by ThinkFun for a charity toy drive at w#rk.

The book "Little Lost Unicorn" by Lorna Hussey, for my favorite 6.5-year-old in the world, who is newly obsessed with unicorns.

Amazon refunded our purchase for the book and my wife got way too excited about that.

However, the mother-in-law unearthed a whole roomful of old pictures that she had in her laundry room. Some of these go back to when her great-grandfather was in Sweden (before coming to the US). DW wants to scan everything so she ordered a scanner:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-CanoScan-9000F-MKII-Scanner/dp/B00AGV7TQG/

We actually had this scanner before and used it to digitize all of our personal photos. We sold it though on ebay.

I have a Kindle and a couple of days ago, the lock screen showed a 'kindle only deal' for a coffee pot. It normally sells for $79 but for a very short period, they offered it for $20. They had 7,000 available and by the time it was 'open for purchase' and I made my purchase, they had sold out. I am a prime member and should have gotten it today but there is a delay in shipping until next Tuesday. This is happening more and more, so don't think I'm going to renew the prime membership when it comes up for renewal.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

I've taken a cue from others here and added a few small things I needed but would normally pick up locally to my order. What I originally wanted was a 5-year Q&A diary (I actually ordered two different ones and will keep one and give the other to DD for her birthday). Then I remembered that some of our blue ice cooler packs have vanished, so ordered 2 of them. And when I was working at my scrapbooking table yesterday, realized I need a power strip for it (lights, computer, Cricut, etc.). Finally, bought a replacement splash guard for our garbage disposer (which we bought originally from Amazon). Got the free shipping and it will be a fun box to open next week.

Ordered an Amazon Basic wireless mouse for my son for his birthday. He really likes it. Getting it here was "interesting". I have Prime. They sent the mouse via UPS to Colorado Springs and from there it went to USPS. USPS does not deliver up here in the mountain boondocks. In the tracking memos first they said they couldn't find me. Then they said I had requested a change of address. I called Amazon and told them that stuff to me has got to go by UPS to get here and that I didn't know what happened to the mouse. They canceled that order and refunded my money. They also told me to reorder and request one day delivery and that they would refund me the cost of the one day delivery. They did that. On the morning of the day I was supposed to get the second mouse one of the nice people from the Kid's Camp down the street a couple of miles stopped by with the original mouse. The USPS had put their PO Box on it and delivered it in the local town. I got it about one week after it was to arrive and a week after my son's birthday. I called Amazon and they gave me a mailing label so when the UPS guy showed up in the evening, I put the return label on the package he brought and gave it back to him.

Somehow, I think the USPS service is a bit lacking! No problems with Amazon's service, but I sure hope they don't try to send me anything through USPS again.

Somehow, I think the USPS service is a bit lacking! No problems with Amazon's service, but I sure hope they don't try to send me anything through USPS again.

I have nothing personal against the USPS, but it's also a "bit lacking" in regular communities with daily service.

3122cjpY9eL._AA160_.jpg

Actually a three pack for $25. They do look real. I ordered them because of an individual in our neighborhood that has caused a situation. It was worth the money just to have him think he might be on camera.

41Nix2Z7t3L._AA160_.jpg

This was the one before that. Have not used them enough to evaluate. Very sharp, and seem to be worth the price.($30) If I remember I will post in six months or so and update my opinion.

Last edited:
A ream of A4 paper because it was cheaper than Office Depot and less hassle than going to that store. Third party supplier offered free shipping.

The VERY NEXT DAY - I get a delivery from Sam's Club. It's my paper!

It turns out that Sams Club sells this paper with free home delivery for a pretty good price. The "third party seller" on Amazon simply ordered it from Sam's Club on my behalf!

Fine with me as I don't have a Sam's Club membership, and the markup was a whopping 98 cents. Can't beat the one day delivery either.

Hilarious!! LOL

A ream of A4 paper because it was cheaper than Office Depot and less hassle than going to that store. Third party supplier offered free shipping.

The VERY NEXT DAY - I get a delivery from Sam's Club. It's my paper!

It turns out that Sams Club sells this paper with free home delivery for a pretty good price. The "third party seller" on Amazon simply ordered it from Sam's Club on my behalf!

Fine with me as I don't have a Sam's Club membership, and the markup was a whopping 98 cents. Can't beat the one day delivery either.

Hilarious!! LOL

I have done similar. This has to end soon, and badly for some company eating the losses.

I have done similar. This has to end soon, and badly for some company eating the losses.
What losses? That Sam's Club offers the paper at a good price to members and chooses to offer free shipping? That Office Depot sells it for a highish price like most of their products, and that I dislike setting foot in their store? Walmart and grocery stores have been undercutting Office Depot for decades.

I just thought it interesting this little bit of arbitrage on Sam's Club products through Amazon. I've seen Costco products offered on Amazon - but usually for an outrageous markup, like 2x.

I don't know whether Sam's Club would consider this fair use of their membership or not, but since they cater to small businesses, it may be just fine with them.

Last edited:
I have to believe the "losses" will be taken in the delivery chain (I should have made that point). When I can get a $5 set of earbuds ordered through Amazon on Friday night and delivered free to me on Sunday morning by UPS, someone is taking a hit.

I have to believe the "losses" will be taken in the delivery chain (I should have made that point). When I can get a $5 set of earbuds ordered through Amazon on Friday night and delivered free to me on Sunday morning by UPS, someone is taking a hit.
These giant companies have massive accounts with their delivery services, probably get some serious bulk discounts, and I'm sure they know exactly what they are doing down to the last penny. No one forces Sam's Club to provide free shipping for a heavy under $10 item, and they can stop offering that at any time. So I'm not worried about that part.

As I ordered, there was a choice to take the fast shipping or got with regular shipping and get $1 credit on an Amazon streamed movie. I do like the choice, but opted for the fast shipping (I'm spoiled) this time around.

Hoover stick type vacuum for the Wife with Amazon points. Also two messy cats love to knock litter out of the upstairs litter box.

heh heh heh - delivered today I hope. ;)

Did you get the Hoover Lynx? I got that model a few month ago also for my messy cats. The Lynx does a great job on the litter. Have fun :)

Thanks to our new, much warmer location and to Daylatedollarshort's tips, I ordered a clothes-drying rack to put outside on the patio.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom