Asset allocation

CUinFl

Recycles dryer sheets
I took advice from a number of folks to move my retirement assets to index-based funds or low cost mutual fund options. Currently, I have Retirement and non-retirement asset allocations as follows:

Mid cap index - 28%
Large Cap stock - 23%
International Index 20%
Mid cap Mutual fund (non index) - 15%
S&P 500 index - 5%
Large Cap Mutual Fund (non index) -5%
Mid cap stock - 4%

With the recent shifts to Index funds and low cost Mutual Funds, I feel the Cash/Cash Equivalents/ Bonds allocations has been significantly reduced.

When you see the above allocation, what other questions do you feel I should be asking myself (before they become self evident) as I sit in a 90 day holding period (clause in many plans else a penalty payment is required) before I can make future allocation shifts.

When you see the above allocation, what other questions do you feel I should be asking myself (before they become self evident) as I sit in a 90 day holding period (clause in many plans else a penalty payment is required) before I can make future allocation shifts.

Why do I have so many funds? ... Seems overly complex, and thus, likely more costly than it needs to be.

Why don't I want any small cap weighting?

Why don't I have ANY bonds or cash? Can I really tolerate that risk?

Any REITs? What part of your total portfolio is this retirement portfolio? Its generally a good idea to set an AA for a total portfolio including combining spouses assets into one AA, non retirement accounts, and maybe other assets like SS or pension to flavor an AA. (Someone with a COLAd pension can have a more aggressive AA).

Thanks for the quick replies.

The allocation above is the "all in" allocation including Retirement / Non-retirement accounts and my / my spouse's allocation. It does not include my emergency cash (which would be ~2% of the total portfolio) or 529 savings.

As for the questions, my goal is to get to the following:
- International Index
- Large Cap / S&P Index
- Small / Mid Index
- company stock

That is what I am working towards as I shift our diversified portfolio into these 4 buckets. As I was 1/2 way through the transition, I realized I was increasing exposure on the Bond / Cash Equivalent side and decided to pause and re-evaluate my strategy.

Have you run your portfolio through M*'s Instant X-Ray? It will provide you with a nice analysis of your AA.

pb4uski, you are always good for a new perspective. I wondered if there was an Asset allocation tool that would help me.

Using M*'s Instant X-Ray, I see that I have a favorable Expense Ratio (0.35), but am too heavily in US Stocks (77%), have the right allocation in International (22%) and ~1% in Cash Equivalents.

After my 90 day "soak" in the new funds (to get around any penalty payments) I will need to pull off the US Stocks and increase my bond allocation.

Thanks for the tip pb4uski!

Thanks for the quick replies.

The allocation above is the "all in" allocation including Retirement / Non-retirement accounts and my / my spouse's allocation. It does not include my emergency cash (which would be ~2% of the total portfolio) or 529 savings.

As for the questions, my goal is to get to the following:
- International Index
- Large Cap / S&P Index
- Small / Mid Index
- company stock

That is what I am working towards as I shift our diversified portfolio into these 4 buckets. As I was 1/2 way through the transition, I realized I was increasing exposure on the Bond / Cash Equivalent side and decided to pause and re-evaluate my strategy.

That sounds much better. S&P 500 index with a mid/small completion index and an all world ex-U.S. index is what I'd like to get my Mom into. I think I've finally pried her away from Morgan Stanley and awful fees. Not much you can do if you have multiple account providers that don't match up perfectly.

pb4uski, you are always good for a new perspective. I wondered if there was an Asset allocation tool that would help me.

Using M*'s Instant X-Ray, I see that I have a favorable Expense Ratio (0.35), but am too heavily in US Stocks (77%), have the right allocation in International (22%) and ~1% in Cash Equivalents.

After my 90 day "soak" in the new funds (to get around any penalty payments) I will need to pull off the US Stocks and increase my bond allocation.

Thanks for the tip pb4uski!

You should do a little reading: Bogleheads® investing start-up kit - Bogleheads

I guess that some of your accounts have limited options as you could reduce those expenses of .35 by moving it all to schwab or vanguard.

100% stocks or stock funds at this point ....well it's not for me...could be a wild ride

Back
Top Bottom