A Few Tablet Questions

Sorry, I really didn't see any 'why' in your 'explanation'. If anything, it just seemed to blame the user?
On the contrary. Here is the portion of my message which you skipped over:
Quite the opposite: They thought it through and established mobile accessibility standards and design principles for websites and web applications. The problem occurs when developers ... fail to update their software to reflect these standards and principles, or when they do so they fail to do so effectively.
Why throw in a red herring?
Why call a substantive point a "red herring"?

Mobile technology is popular for many reasons.
And that would not have been possible if mobile was clunky. What you should note is how, when done correctly, the technology is very well received and not deemed clumsy at all. It's really all the fault of (us) (application and website) developers. When we did our jobs well (and that was very often the case) there was no clumsiness, and adoption was vigorous.

Last edited:
On the contrary. Here is the portion of my message which you skipped over:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Quite the opposite: They thought it through and established mobile accessibility standards and design principles for websites and web applications. The problem occurs when developers ... fail to update their software to reflect these standards and principles, or when they do so they fail to do so effectively.​

I didn't skip over it - it didn't address my issue. I pointed out - these problems don't exist only in web pages - a text editor has some clumsy issues - that's why I said it wasn't an explanation.

Why call a substantive point a "red herring"

And that would not have been possible if mobile was clunky. What you should note is how, when done correctly, the technology is very well received and not deemed clumsy at all. It's really all the fault of (us) (application and website) developers. When we did our jobs well (and that was very often the case) there was no clumsiness, and adoption was vigorous.

I can only repeat myself - the problems don't make the device unworkable - it's still a 'value proposition' for many. It is just clumsy in certain modes, and I think it could have and should have been made better.

You are saying 'success' indicates there is no room for improvement - that's just wrong, so I'll drop this as it won't go anywhere with you but in circles.

-ERD50

I didn't skip over it - it didn't address my issue. I pointed out - these problems don't exist only in web pages
To which I replied:
There are a similar set of developer standards, I'm sure.

I can only repeat myself
As I was forced to. The answer is there in my responses.

You are saying 'success' indicates there is no room for improvement
No I'm not. I never said anything close to that. It seems like you're working really hard to come up with something to argue against. As a matter of fact, I even went so far as to outline the paths for future enhancements:
Rather, the solutions to these problems involve either doing away with the need for complex mouse or mouse-and-keyboard gestures, or replacing some of them with some touch-specific gestures - gestures that are impractical with a mouse, such as two finger gestures, and gestures that differentiate effect based on the pressure applied.

Last edited:
To copy / edit / paste with an iPad, once you are in a dialog window, tap twice on a spot. The "select / select all " bubble appears. Choose it, and that word is then just highlighted in blue, with black dots on each side. With this highlighted area you can copy, cut, paste, replace. Slide the dots to expand the highlighted area.

And the teacher of the year award goes to MichaelB..........tho I won't tell you how long it or if it's reproducible........logged in w/ random typing to hopefully evade the key loggers.............a "took " belongs after "it" but life is too short to fix error.

And the teacher of the year award goes to MichaelB..........tho I won't tell you how long it or if it's reproducible........logged in w/ random typing to hopefully evade the key loggers.............a "took " belongs after "it" but life is too short to fix error.

I feel cheated........this library iPad didn't have that "sent from my iPad" signature message at the end.

I feel cheated........this library iPad didn't have that "sent from my iPad" signature message at the end.

Next training session: "Look in settings and find where to customize the signature"

ERD50 is absolutely right. Tablets work OK for simple touchy-feely tasks, but every once in a while, one has to do something that is just not currently possible. When using EMACS, for example, I routinely drop to the LISP interpreter using the usual Control-Alt-Meta-(double-click button 3) shortcut, but there's no Control, Alt, or Meta key on the virtual keyboard, and I don't see how a gesture can be set up to do the double-click on button 3 as quickly and efficiently as I can do this on the Symbolics keyboard and trackball.

The tablet makers clearly have not thought through how to accomplish these mundane everyday tasks. One button, and it doesn't even do anything beyond leave the program for the desktop! Good grief. Nobody's going to buy these things.

(Cackles as he fills out deposit slip and signs royalty check from tablet company...)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I just look for a kid, preferably 12 or younger, when I need help with electronic devices.

Back
Top Bottom