2016 YTD investment performance thread

No idea what I'm up. To avoid thinking too much about performance, I track percentages of my portfolio. When international gets ahead I see it as a higher percentage of my overall portfolio. And that's what I need to act on: my next withdrawal or rebalance needs to consider what's gained the most or lost the most relative to other parts of my portfolio.
+1

YTD ~ 10.6%. Like some others here, I won't know exact numbers until all the statements come in. Then I can check that all the dividends were included and I double check all the other numbers as well.

Funny, I had checked the YTD return a couple weeks ago and I thought it was about 8.6% then. When I updated the values for this post, seems like everything had gone up a bit. I think the Feds announcement of no interest rate hike + the OPEC announcement that they might put a cap on production must have given this portfolio a recent boost. Still at 80% equities / 20% fixed assets. Still heavily exposed to oil and gas (30%).

Up 9.1% YTD as of 9/30/16. I get same answer using XIRR (9.12%), moneychimp calculator (9.10%), and using M* YTD total return for each ETF weighted on current value (9.09%). This latter metric enables more effective analysis than anything done at the total portfolio level.

Benchmark is a 60/40 mix of VTI/BND, which is up 7.3% YTD. Our equity side is up 9.7% vs VTI at 8.3%. This is driven primarily by some high-dividend ETFs (VYM and others, up 12.6%) and to a lesser extent by a small emerging market position (VWO, up 17.5%). The bond side is up 8.0% vs BND at 5.9%. This results from 2 corporate bond ETFs: LQD (investment grade, up 10.5%) and HYG (high yield, up 12.4%).

The overall 9.1% figure excludes cash and rental real estate. Cash allocation is currently 3%, earning 1% at Ally. Rentals are currently 16% of the portfolio. They generate 6% after-tax cashflow and, according to Zillow, have increased 19.4% YTD. Not sure I believe that though.

Anyway, continues to look like a nice year so far. We'll see if it holds up.

Thru 9/30, up 10.22% on investment account allocated 68-28-4.

Have another 5-10 year (~15%) "reserve" in MM/CD's.

Quicken says the overall for one year is 10.45%.

Out of the "basket" the Roth performed the best at 23.19%. The Roth was straight stocks consisting of JNJ, MDLZ. WMT, KHC, IVZ and cash.

Best two single stock performers was JNJ and WDFC at 17% and 15%.

Quicken did the math...not me.

Last edited:
Quicken says the overall for one year is 10.45%.
[…]
Quicken did the math...not me.
FWIW, the one year return (10/1/2015 to 9/30/2016) for the 60/40-ish benchmarks are

10.26% VSMGX
10.05% VTWNX
11.20% VBIAX
10.05% DGSIX
12.03% VWENX
10.67% VTTVX

A 100% US stock portfolio return was about 15% over the same time period.

Last edited:
8.45% at the end of the quarter, all-in, monkey chip style handling of the spend. But I was -7.6% in February, so I guess file this under easy come, easy go, or rather easy go, easy come.

Much surprised at the market staying near the highs. Portfolio is up 6.25% YTD through 9/30 - that covers current year withdrawal and part of last years. Fingers crossed.....

8.45% at the end of the quarter, all-in, monkey chip style handling of the spend. But I was -7.6% in February, so I guess file this under easy come, easy go, or rather easy go, easy come.
Just like any good accounting agency, I've come-up with a revision. I have to revise down to 7.8% because I realized I had double-counted a brokerage cash balance. Usually the balance is less than $100, so historical numbers were ok, but I was in the midst of some shuffling that temporarily had a big balance there, so my accountant (that's me, when I put on the green eyeshade) raised an eyebrow and got that fixed.

Statement came in, flat last month, holding at 12% YTD.

Year to date through 30-September, 2016 on my equity portfolio of dividend growth stocks:

11.46% Equity performance
3.78% Dividends paid out

15.24% TOTAL to date

-BB

I'm just a lowly boglehead so given that S&P500 is up +4.76% YTD, how are you guys beating it by a landslide with your 7-12% ytd returns? :confused:

I'm just a lowly boglehead so given that S&P500 is up +4.76% YTD, how are you guys beating it by a landslide with your 7-12% ytd returns? :confused:

Im up 16% and have a nice big divi dump coming first week of Nov. not factored in even though they have went exD already. It was very easy and very fortunate environment. All preferred stocks with 6-7% base yields. Have a group of 30 or so similar quality preferreds and constantly rotate in and out of them based on price movements. Sell the bump up, and buy the bump down. Rinse and repeat... Plus a general overall upward price ticks in all preferreds too. Im not selling and headwinds will be stronger next year...As far as portfolio goes I wouldnt be surprised if I just break even next year...Give back some cap gains next year to cancel out the divis...No biggie Im ready for the worm to turn on me a bit.

My target date 2030 fund is up 7.5% ytd, as well my 50/50 blend of Wellesley/Wellington is also up 7.5%.

From stockcharts; PerfCharts | Free Charts | StockCharts.com
SPY is up 6.5%, Wellesley is up 7.9% and Wellington is up 6.97%

So it would seem that the fund with some foreign exposure did only as well as a fund with more bonds and Large Cap Value. VG Admiral S&P is up 6.5%, a little better than SPY, I am not sure why you see only 4.76%, unless dividends are excluded.

I measure returns in Euro - so that's why my index tracker is up to 7%. The USD/EUR exchange rate shifted.

My individual portfolio, well, lucky or skilled? Time will tell. Up 22% YTD as of this week.

I don't think folks have 7% to 12% returns anymore a few weeks later. Here are the current YTD returns of some roughly 60/40 portfolios reported by morningstar.com:

157vo2.jpg

Key:
VSMGX Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth
VTWNX Vanguard Target Retirement 2020 (it is 57/43)
VBIAX Vanguard Balanced Index (has no foreign nor international stocks)
DGSIX DFA Global Allocation I 60/40
VWENX Vanguard Wellington (it is 65/35)
VTTVX Vanguard Target Retirement 2025 (it is 66/34)

Also note that the 12-month (1-year) returns reported a few weeks ago in post #607 were from a low-water mark because of the large drop in 2015 in late August and September. And as of today, 12-month returns cannot be the same as YTD returns.

OTOH, the Vanguard S&P500 index fund is up 6.57% YTD, so perhaps you are not making the same calculations. For instance, I'll guess that the 4.76% number you posted does not include reinvested dividends. But other respondents to this thread may have other ideas about how to calculate what "YTD investment performance" means.

Apples. Oranges.

Last edited:
YTD 8.86% total increase in asset value. This includes 10% cash at next to nothing, and withdrawals for the year. Investment portfolio is up 10.6%.

We had a larger exposure to stocks, earlier in the year, before rolling out of the 401k and re-balancing closer to 60/30/10

6.6% YTD for me. Not complaining, particularly as I am at 51% stock, 4% bond, and 45% low-yield cash and I-bonds.

International equities, some material and technology stocks have been working well for me.

OTOH, the Vanguard S&P500 index fund is up 6.57% YTD, so perhaps you are not making the same calculations. For instance, I'll guess that the 4.76% number you posted does not include reinvested dividends. But other respondents to this thread may have other ideas about how to calculate what "YTD investment performance" means.

Good points, btw I just googled the s&p numbers and found the 4.76% here (top right of the graph) S&P 500 Index - CNNMoney.com so probably doesn't include divs.

Back
Top Bottom