Are Airlines trying to reduce demand ?

The minute someone walking around a moving plane gets tossed and hurt, it's on social media and out come the liability lawyers.

I will never forget an incident that happened in 1977 on a Lufthansa flight at the Munich airport. We were taxiing out from the gate and listening with half an ear to the usual safety instructions when suddenly there was a very violent lurch and everything went flying forward. Turned out that a little maintenance truck had zoomed out on the ramp right in front of the 747 and the pilot stomped on the brakes so hard we had to go back to the gate to get them checked out. If someone had not had their seatbelt fastened at that time I'm sure there would have been a serious injury.

I have a rule when travelling. If you see a washroom, use it!

Right, in London I can be obsessed with looking for handy spots to go!

That used to be my motto.....until half a dozen irate women chased me out onto the concourse.

That's been a nobrainer for me since turning 55 a few years ago. DW thinks I have a sixth sense in finding them before the need.

I often drive the twelve hours between the Bay Area and Phoenix, using one of two routes. I know every clean bathroom with easy freeway off and on on both routes, and can tell you the approximate time between them. Also where the cheapest gas is, although Gas Buddy handles that now.

I don't care how cheap Southwest is, if I have the time, I drive. When I don't, the TSA gives me the suspected terrorist treatment, and I have to deal with a shuttle or a rental car. Not to mention the behavior of rest of the cattle in the truck...

After 911, we didn't fly except for once in about 10 years. In fact, when we did start flying again around 2012, I had to do a bit of research because the rules were so different. And airlines had consolidated. Lots of changes!

But we've flown quite a bit since, more each year it seems. And I find I don't mind it! Even those tough overnighters to Europe in economy - it's just a few hours and once you get there it's so worth it.

We have credit cards that provide free checked baggage and priority boarding and premium check-in, and we pay up for economy+ seating by subscription. Sometimes we get upgraded. Have global entry and TSA ore-check. A few perks go a long way to smoothing the rough edges.

I flew to to the SF Bay Area October, November, December, 2001 and January, February 2002, then June and September 2002 from PA/MD (usually BWI) as mom was very ill and died of cancer in February 2002. Even in October the lines weren't as bad as I had heard. I found the Harry Potter series when that happened, and the flights were easy because I was engrossed in reading. I visited dad a lot afterward to help him adjust. I don't mind flying, but don't like taking off and landing. You just have to have a patient attitude and realize that you are choosing the fastest we have way between two points. Sleeping and reading are the best ways to pass the time.

I wish I had signed up for global entry for my upcoming trip, but I didn't have enough time. Didn't know about it before doing TSA precheck.

An interesting tidbit....

Someone I know called me and we talked about the guy who was put off the plane because he got up to pee... well, this person was in a similar situation and started to get up... said that the stewardess told her to sit down and was going for her phone... said she knew she was going to be removed from the plane if she did not obey... said she did not want to get stuck in China!!!

What did she do:confused: Peed in her pants.... said it was almost an hour before she was told she could go but she said it was too late...

I did mention the suggestion of Depends and she said that was a great idea... I also said she should have gone prior to boarding and she also said she did... said that when you are old sometimes you gotta go...

One more reason I need to do more air travel before it's too late. When my bladder gets weak, I will be able to do RV'ing only. It is great when you have your toilet with you all the time.

I often drive the twelve hours between the Bay Area and Phoenix, using one of two routes. I know every clean bathroom with easy freeway off and on on both routes, and can tell you the approximate time between them. Also where the cheapest gas is, although Gas Buddy handles that now.

I don't care how cheap Southwest is, if I have the time, I drive. When I don't, the TSA gives me the suspected terrorist treatment, and I have to deal with a shuttle or a rental car. Not to mention the behavior of rest of the cattle in the truck...

I like my solution to these issues: I just don't choose to travel any more if I don't have to.

Nobody is telling me I can't use the toilet here in my wonderful Dream Home. :D Not only that, but also there are no screaming babies here, and I am not exposed to every virus known to man by being crammed in so close to people from all over. I have all the comforts of home (because this IS my home!). :LOL:

Life is good, and it's even better here at home.

I love cruising on the rivers of the world but have given it up because of the flying conditions required to get there. Government policies, inconsiderate passengers, and excessive bottom-line oriented airlines share the blame for my decision to stop flying

Just another reason for me not to fly anymore. Been there, done that and had more than enough.

Going thru an airport and flying coach reminds me of loaded cattle pens and cattle trucks. Smells included.

I'm glad to see I am not alone in my decision to avoid flying as much a possible. After I get my house built, I plan to purchase a truck with a slide-in camper and that is how I will travel. (Among other things, the restroom will always be pretty close!)

One more reason I need to do more air travel before it's too late. When my bladder gets weak, I will be able to do RV'ing only. It is great when you have your toilet with you all the time.
I'm having this strange vision of a motor home with a ceramic driver's seat. :ermm:

Are we not going to have self-driving motorhomes any time now? :cool:

Even if it does not happen soon enough, one ceramic seat at the driver position is not difficult to implement like what a poster suggested earlier for airplanes. ;)

Every airplane seat should be a toilet. Problem solved!

Unless you're the poor soul sitting next to someone who has to use it....

Except that while you're driving a big rig sometimes it can be hard to find a place to pull over! Believe me, I know

Well, that's another reason I like my class C. ;)

Well, that's another reason I like my class C. ;)

I have driven long stretches of rural highway where the shoulder wasn't wide enough for even a class C to pull over. Interstate rest stops were doing a quick disappearing act too. It can get tough out there!

Been in similar situation. tight connection through ATL. Caught my flight at the last minute. No time to use restroom before push back. We then sat for 45 min. Once we began to taxi, we were like number seventy five for take off. By the time we got to 10K and could use facilities, almost two hours had passed. And then, I had to queue up with other bladder busting geese and wait my turn.

At what point is it acceptable to just pee in your seat?

If more people peed in their seats, bet the rules would change.....

I wonder if it is illegal yet to pee in a cup at your seat under a blanket? I remember the suction device they had in the air force for the pilots.
Men can use what is called a condom catheter which drains into a leg bag. David Sedaris did a humorous monologue about his experiences using one.

David Sedaris

I've always liked the idea of accessories. It was my search for something discreet, masculine, and practical that led me to the Stadium Pal, an external catheter currently being marketed to sports fans, truck drivers, and anyone else who's tired of searching for a bathroom.
At first inspection, the device met all my criteria. Was it masculine? Yes, and proudly so. Unlike a regular catheter, which is inserted directly into the penis, the Stadium Pal connects by way of a self-adhesive condom, which is then attached to a flexible rubber tube.
Urine flows through the tube and collects in the Freedom leg bag conveniently attached to the user's calf. The bag can be emptied and reused up to 12 times, making it both disgusting and cost-effective. And what could be manlier?
Was it discreet? According to the brochure, unless you wore it with shorts no one needed to know a thing about it.
Was it practical? At the time, yes. I don't drive or attend football games, but I did have a book tour coming up, and the possibilities were endless. Five glasses of iced tea followed by a long public reading? Thanks, Stadium Pal. The window seat on an overbooked cross-country flight? Don't mind if I do.
I ordered myself a Stadium Pal and realized that while it might make sense in a hospital, it really wasn't very practical for day to day use. In an open air sporting arena, a piping hot 32-ounce bag of urine might go unnoticed. But not so in a stuffy airplane or a small, crowded bookstore. An hour after christening it, mine smelled like a nursing home.
On top of that, I found that it was hard to pee and do other things at the same time. Reading out loud, discussing my dinner options with a flight attendant, checking into a fine hotel, each activity required its own separate form of concentration. And while no one knew exactly what I was up to, it was pretty clear that something was going on.
I think it was my face that gave me away. That and my oddly swollen calf.
What ultimately did me in was the self-adhesive condom. Putting it on was no problem. But its removal qualified as what, in certain cultures, is known as a bris.
Wear it once and you'll need a solid month in order to fully recover. It will likely be a month in which you'll weigh the relative freedom of peeing in your pants against the unsightly discomfort of a scab-covered penis.

I wonder if it is illegal yet to pee in a cup at your seat under a blanket? I remember the suction device they had in the air force for the pilots.

Actually there are such devices for folks flying in small private planes that don't have restrooms provided.

I have driven long stretches of rural highway where the shoulder wasn't wide enough for even a class C to pull over. Interstate rest stops were doing a quick disappearing act too. It can get tough out there!
Agree. But usually, I can find a stopping spot within 30 minutes of driving. Car travelers would find that that is nothing to complain about.

Men can use what is called a condom catheter which drains into a leg bag. David Sedaris did a humorous monologue about his experiences using one.

I have read a couple of his books, but not that one.

Sedaris wrote:
On top of that, I found that it was hard to pee and do other things at the same time. Reading out loud, discussing my dinner options with a flight attendant, checking into a fine hotel, each activity required its own separate form of concentration. And while no one knew exactly what I was up to, it was pretty clear that something was going on. I think it was my face that gave me away.​
I can relate this to my grand niece. She is 14 months now, and not off diaper yet. When she has some "business" going on, we can tell by her facial expression. :LOL:

My doctor helps me with flying, I call the office and get a script for Atavan or Zanax. Take one before leaving to the airport, one when at the airport and one more when boarded. Hell I could be sitting next the shoe bomber and not care.

Better living through pharmacology. I highly recommend it.

My doctor helps me with flying, I call the office and get a script for Atavan or Zanax. Take one before leaving to the airport, one when at the airport and one more when boarded. Hell I could be sitting next the shoe bomber and not care.

Better living through pharmacology. I highly recommend it.

Be sure not to make those comments when actually on the airplane and you won't be on it for long.:)

yup

Just another reason for me not to fly anymore. Been there, done that and had more than enough.

Going thru an airport and flying coach reminds me of loaded cattle pens and cattle trucks. Smells included.

i had a woman change her babies dirty diaper next to me, then another neighbor passenger opened up a tuna fish sandwich, disgusting, flying is low class, no more wearing ur Sundays best.

Back
Top Bottom