Gold, Practical Questions

I've not seen that form before. How much over spot is it compared to Maple leafs or the other common bullion coins?
At the website linked, a 20 gram bar sells for $937, so $46.85 per gram
The spot price of gold is $41.37 per gram right now.

A single 1 oz Maple Leaf is $1342 per troy oz = $43.15 per gram.

If you needed to buy something and needed a gram of gold AND the buyer would recognize and accept the Combibar tear-off, it might be handy. But, if it came to that, a 1 oz silver coin (worth about $15 today) might be handier, though heavier.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing that calculation. The premium is a bit rich. I'd avoid this thing because the person you trade with would probably also discount the value due to being less recognized.

I've often thought of getting a bag of pre 1964 us coins for the SHTF scenario. I've got a few from when I was a kid collector...if the span of the disruption goes on too long, I'll have to start trading the Jack Daniels... serious indeed!

Thanks for doing that calculation. The premium is a bit rich. I'd avoid this thing because the person you trade with would probably also discount the value due to being less recognized.

I've often thought of getting a bag of pre 1964 us coins for the SHTF scenario. I've got a few from when I was a kid collector...if the span of the disruption goes on too long, I'll have to start trading the Jack Daniels... serious indeed!

It's hard for one type of coin to satisfy the needs of a SHTF scenario since you want to have multiple denominations for efficient exchange. That's exactly why I hold different types of PM - from 1 oz. gold and silver coins (mostly Eagles, Buffalos and Maple Leafs), a few small gold and large silver bars and some 'junk' silver - 90% silver coins - in different denominations. (Those gold sheets that can be broken up are cool, but carry close to a 10% higher premium to buy than the coins - I own one small sheet for S&G.)

I think all I'm missing is the stash of Jack Daniels...maybe we can work something out. :flowers:

We took a tour of the Canadian mint years ago, and DW bought a tiny gold coin, just for fun.
I just checked and it turns out, you can buy their coins online, takes some hunting to get to the plain "investment" coins, but they ship free to Canada & USA .

I would feel safer buying from a mint ones they made, as since they made them, they are not fake.

Back
Top Bottom