100 Butterfly Species for our Yard!

I take long walks every day. This week the leaves are finally starting to fall and flutter to the ground. There have been some fritillaries, monarchs and others that flutter around just like the falling leaves in a light wind. I thought, What perfect camouflage! They just look like leaves in the breeze.

But then I thought, Why do they call them butterflies? They should call them flutterflies!

So why are they called butterflies?

But then I thought, Why do they call them butterflies? They should call them flutterflies!

So why are they called butterflies?

Since you asked...from Wiki.....

Etymology

The name is derived from Middle English buterflie, butturflye, boterflye, from Old English butorflēoge, buttorflēoge, buterflēoge, perhaps a compound of butor (beater), mutation of bēatan (to beat), and flēoge (fly).[2]
Alternate etymology connects the first element to butere (butter) as the name may have originally been applied solely to butterflies of a yellowish or butter-colour. This may have merged later with the belief that butterflies ate milk and butter (compare Middle High German molkendiep -literally “milk-thief”; Modern German Molkendieb and Low German Botterlicker - literally “butter-licker”), or that they excreted a butter-like substance (compare Middle Dutch boterschijte - literally “butter-shitter”, also Middle Dutch botervliege, Dutch botervlieg, German butterfliege).

omni

I take long walks every day. This week the leaves are finally starting to fall and flutter to the ground. There have been some fritillaries, monarchs and others that flutter around just like the falling leaves in a light wind. I thought, What perfect camouflage! They just look like leaves in the breeze.

LOL! I always thought they should be called flutterbys.

Thanks for the etymology omni. The combo of beater and fly makes sense to me.

Last edited:
#100, an Orange Sulphur, hasn't cooperated for its portrait yet (it keeps fleeing DH), but if it keeps hanging around DH may still get a chance for a decent photo.
Whew. I was wondering how you documented your collection-- I was afraid you were using foamcore & pushpins...

Whew. I was wondering how you documented your collection-- I was afraid you were using foamcore & pushpins...
No, there was no "collecting" involved. Just notes and an occasional photo when possible. It's still perfectly legal to collect butterflies, but few people do anymore. Dead butterflies fade, photos do not.

Wow - butterfly #101 showed up today! An Isabella's Heliconian - quite rare and a life butterfly for me. We're hoping this one decides to lay eggs on our passion vine. :)

Yup. You name it and it's on Cheezburger;)

Attachments

• butterfly.jpg
    butterfly.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 7
Beautiful, Audrey! We aren't quite as far south but are trying to attract more butterflies here. Some of the plants that are advertised to be butterfly attractors seem to be duds so far. Any particular plants that you would especially recommend?

Beautiful landscaping and beautiful pictures. I am impressed. Thanks for posting.

Beautiful, Audrey! We aren't quite as far south but are trying to attract more butterflies here. Some of the plants that are advertised to be butterfly attractors seem to be duds so far. Any particular plants that you would especially recommend?

Even in Chicago DH has been able to attract butterflies with a plant called a butterfly bush :). It took abour 4 years but now we enjoy a couple different critters through the summer.

Assuming you are somewhere around Austin....

• The salvias are really good nectar plants for butterflies. Salvia greggi and tropical sage do well in Austin.
  • Mistflowers (eupatorium genus) are terrific butterfly nectar bushes. Gregg's mistflower is from the hill country and is a great one.
  • Milkweeds are really good - Monarch's will use them to lay eggs, and the flowers are popular with all butterflies.
  • Passion vines will attract fritillaries.
  • Purple coneflower is a great central Texas wildflower and butterflies love them.
A few ideas! :) - but also make sure you aren't getting some pesticide overspray because that can cause problems.

In our yard, buddleia (butterfly bush) attracts large and small butterflies, and is one of the few plants the deer do not devastate. It does get leggy/messy, and benefits from being pruned hard each winter. Oh- it also attracts hummingbird-moths, and the occasional real hummingbird.

Amethyst

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom