$100k Milestone!

Thought it would be fun to bring this thread back. Especially because looking through the archives I found my post when I was 29.

Now I'm 31 and hit another milestone...300K in various investments accounts. Given the recent stock market swings, I will actually be hitting that particular dollar amount more than once...going up and down! :)

And just for fun, here's an asset allocation...anyone want to comment? This is spread out across 401k, roth, and taxable accounts. Using taxable accounts b/c the 401k/roth is maxed out, and i didn't want to keep holding it as cash.

SP500 40%
Small cap 20%
REIT 8%
long-term bond 8%
VGTSX (vanguard international index) 12%
stock 1%
cash (the "6-month" savings) 11%

Seems like a very reasonable AA. What little I know about the bond portion would recommend short/int term bonds as you are poorly rewarded for interest rate risk for long term bonds. Of course if you are sitting on some good yielding ones in our current market I'd still be tempted to hold onto them...

DD

i remember how thrilled i was at the 100k point back in the 80's...it was an amazing feeling....
this year we broke 1.5 million but it wasnt the same feeling as the ole 100k....
Yep, like a drug, it takes more and more money to achieve the same high.

It is VBLTX, Vanguard Long Term Bond Index, and it is in a roth. Its lifetime performance is (since 1994) is 2% better than short term bonds. Looks like you are correct about how things stand now, though, since the short term index is doing better than the long term index over the last year. Being that it is in a Roth, though, I'm more concerned about how it will do over 20-30 years...

Back
Top Bottom