11 Days of Christmas for NORDS and other vets

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm about 2/3 through the 11 Days of Christmas book you recommended. Great book, brought back many memories (good and bad) of those SAC days. I recommended it to a buddy whom I consider a war hero - flew F105s, and OV-10s in Vietnam and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his close air support of special forces. An OV-10 was a slow, low, light aircraft used by Forward Air Controllers to guide in the bombers and artillery while dodging bullets. Those guys had the ultimate pucker factor. My buddy's going to order the 11 Days book, and in turn recommended Viper 7 written by Charles Pockock about what is was like to be a FAC in Vietnam. I know you're ex-Navy but might still enjoy it, and other vets might like it.

Happy Memorial Day to all, especially Active Duty and Veterans and their families!

not to hijack your thread but to tag along, for those interested, a cousin emailed me this yesterday:

Friday, May 25, on PBS, Bill Moyers Journal will feature Maxine Hong Kingston and her collection of veterans' writings, Veterans of War, Veterans of Peace, published by Koa Books.

For 15 years, National Book Award-winning author Maxine Hong Kingston has led writing-and-meditation workshops for veterans and their families. Veterans of War, Veterans of Peace is a harvest of creative, redemptive storytelling -- fiction, nonfiction, and poetry -- spanning five wars and written by those most affected. "My hope is that through art, through telling their stories, ...," Kingston tells Bill Moyers, "There's the coming home from war, from being broken, feeling losses, and then there is a wholeness that takes place [having people] listen and understand."

For more about the book, visit Veterans of War, Veterans of Peace. Click on the link to Bill Moyers Journal to see what time the program airs in your area.

not to hijack your thread but to tag along, for those interested, a cousin emailed me this yesterday:

Not at all, this is very timely. Another book to order and read. I missed the Moyers interview but the web site has links to many other interviews and you can listen them on mp3 files at your leisure. Very important book, should be required reading by everyone before we get into another war.

Back
Top Bottom