2017 goal: maximize ACA credits or Roth conversion?

Tutorial: Roth IRA Reconversions | Retirement Dictionary

Reconversions cannot occur before the later of:

o The beginning of the tax year following the tax year in which the amount was first converted to a Roth IRA or,
o The end of the 30-day period beginning on the day on which the recharacterization occurs

There are some examples in the link.

I had an elongated argument with Vanguard when I went to do my conversion a couple years ago... I had recharacterized the amount in excess of the top of the 15% tax bracket in March of that year and then called in December to do my conversion for that year. The CSR misinterpreted the above to mean that I could not do a conversion since I had done a recharacterization earlier that year... to make matters worse, when I objected he consulted with an "expert" who also said that I could not do it... I ultimately had to get my Flagship rep involved to get the situation sorted out.

Last edited:
Tutorial: Roth IRA Reconversions | Retirement Dictionary

There are some examples in the link.

I had an elongated argument with Vanguard when I went to do my conversion a couple years ago... I had recharacterized the amount in excess of the top of the 15% tax bracket in March of that year and then called in December to do my conversion for that year. The CSR misinterpreted the above to mean that I could not do a conversion since I had done a recharacterization earlier that year... to make matters worse, when I objected he consulted with an "expert" who also said that I could not do it... I ultimately had to get my Flagship rep involved to get the situation sorted out.

@pb4uski, thanks for the heads up. I will likely be in the same situation this December. I did my first Roth conversion this past December, and planned to recharacterize as soon as my taxes are final and I know what I want my tax bill to be and can therefore finalize my conversion / recharacterize the rest. This December I plan to do another conversion, and my accounts are at Vanguard, so I may run into the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom