2017 Million $ Year

firewhen

Recycles dryer sheets
I remember losing $1M+ in 2008 and that wasn't fun:mad: to say the least! Always hoped that one day the opposite would happen. Thankfully I realized it did in 2017:). I know it is getting late but it is still January. Anyone else have this good fortune? Even though a reversal has to be coming soon, it is still great to be on the upswing.

Congratulations!

(I can't answer. I am sure I'm up from a year ago, but don't track like most on the form, and couldn't tell you my NW a year ago; or today.)

I remember losing $1M+ in 2008 and that wasn't fun:mad: to say the least! Always hoped that one day the opposite would happen. Thankfully I realized it did in 2017:). I know it is getting late but it is still January. Anyone else have this good fortune? Even though a reversal has to be coming soon, it is still great to be on the upswing.

We also saw our portfolio of liquid assets rise by $1 million in 2017!

Not sure what we actually lost in 2008. Portfolio went down only $180k (14 %). Actual losses were much higher but was saving a lot of money each year relative to portfolio at that time.

Last edited:
I made a lot of dough last year but not even a half mil.

You have to have a good amount to get to $1 mill increase in a year... I am not even close.... :blush:

The big question will be... how is your Jan:confused: It is shaping up to be either #1 or #2 best in the last 10 years..

Jan 2018 is the best single month I can remember for absolute gain. Not sure about %. I will have to check on that.

Jan 2018 has been incredible. It is around 33% of the 2017 gain (as of the 28th). And, the 2017 gain was amazing. You just got to worry about an adjustment but with the world economy being reported as growing in unison, perhaps things will stay very bright.

As I recall our portfolio has increased by 7 figures each year since 2008 other than 2011 and 2015.

Danmar can you adopt me lol.

I'm kidding. This MIGHT happen to me when I hit my 80s. I love it when the big dawgs come out... new goal, increase by 1mil soooner than later in any given year.

2017 great year for us too with $1.5 M in market returns, $1.8 M if I count the new contributions. This year looks to be even better.. almost 500 k this month already

OMG. Some REALLY big dawgs here. I am extremely pleased at $24k so far in Jan and $100k in 2017, but I see now I must be thinking too small...but then again, my portfolio went down maybe $15k in 2008, as it was well under $200k back then.

More similar to Perryinva.
42k so far in 2018. Monday and not working just as important. lol

I'm far from big dog status but am certainly pleased with this month so far:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 128
Aren’t all these posts rather meaningless talking in terms of absolute dollars? Also can’t help but sense a bit of humblebrag [emoji542]

No, absolute dollars are where it's at. The real deal. Percent is noise. A 20% gain buys nothing.

Now making a million bucks in a year is something to brag about and you can buy a million bucks worth of stuff - :)

I hear ya

Also can’t help but sense a bit of humblebrag [emoji542]
My motivation was that 2008 hurt very badly and it seemed like capitalism was falling apart and I remember someone started a thread about losing $1M+ in that year alone. So it was nice to start a thread about portfolios moving by that amount in the opposite direction. Back then the thought of that happening seemed very remote. People said the Dow would not rise to 10,000 again for years. I do think we are headed for a correction, but hopefully not that severe and the higher up we go hopefully the higher the bottom will be.

Plus there are threads on milestones and people talk about reaching a portfolio of $100k or $500k or $1M... Shouldn't we celebrate our successes, no matter what they are? :)

Yeah Baby!

I have no problem with it, why not toot your own horn?

But always remember to Blow That Dough!

It helps everyone get ahead - :)

Aren’t all these posts rather meaningless talking in terms of absolute dollars? Also can’t help but sense a bit of humblebrag [emoji542]

I do believe this is one of the few places a successful person can brag. I have mixed emotions about this, but mostly it gives me hope for my future nest egg.

My motivation was that 2008 hurt very badly and it seemed like capitalism was falling apart and I remember someone started a thread about losing $1M+ in that year alone. So it was nice to start a thread about portfolios moving by that amount in the opposite direction. Back then the thought of that happening seemed very remote. People said the Dow would not rise to 10,000 again for years. I do think we are headed for a correction, but hopefully not that severe and the higher up we go hopefully the higher the bottom will be.

Plus there are threads on milestones and people talk about reaching a portfolio of $100k or $500k or $1M... Shouldn't we celebrate our successes, no matter what they are? :)

This is the Money & Retirement Forum. It seems perfectly fine for people to celebrate their financial successes here. Personally, I enjoy reading about the success of others, whether on a smaller scale or a larger scale.

I went up about a mil in 2017. Definitely more fun that what happened in 2008.

I'm more in the Perryinva neighborhood. I was down $150k in 2008 but recovered it all in 2009, despite having to pay out most of the $75k tax bill for cashing out my company stock in late 2008. Being +$100k in a given year is a good benchmark for what a good year is for me. Sometimes, I hit it, sometimes, I don't. I had several consecutive +$100k years in the early 2000s although they were due to still working and the exploding value of the company stock. Since I retired, it's a little tougher to put together consecutive +$100k years but I did it in 2016 and 2017.

Not in the $1 million category, but I am more than happy with a $250K gain with a very conservative portfolio in 2017. Than alone will be more than enough to cover our retirement medical expenses before medicare, freeing up the rest of my money for more fun expenditures. :)

I agree with what MarieIG said. All should be comfortable sharing their numbers.
Congrats to OP.

Back
Top Bottom