2018 YTD investment performance thread

I try not to look at the dollars up/down. When I do, I tend to say, oops, there goes a car or there goes a river cruise. Then, as mentioned, when it comes back, it tends to be slower and I don't notice so much. So it ends up as a string of Homer "D'oh!" events. I'd rather avert my eyes.

I cannot not look! It's much more interesting to me than any sporting event. If I do not have any stake in something, how can I be interested?

Here's an example. In just 4 days since people reported their most recent YTD portfolio performance - it's a short trading week due to the Labor Day - the market went through some interesting gyrations.

While the Dow is down a merely -0.2%, the S&P is down -0.9%, but the NASDAQ -2.3%. It is significant, because it means the investors are dumping tech and growth stocks.

Indeed, Apple is down -1.8%, Amazon down -2.6%, and both just broke the trillion-dollar mark. These two fare a lot better than Facebook (-8.1%), and Tesla (-13%), although the latter has its own circumstances.

I do not have any of the above stocks, except in some MFs, but still got hammered. Semiconductor segment is down -2.5%, and EM close to -4%, and I have many positions there.

But many stodgy stocks hold up well, and even go up such as the consumer staples segment.

Will this trend persist? I don't know, but suspect my friend redduck who is heavy into dividend stocks will be OK in the days ahead. If the market tanks, he may still lose money, but lose less than others with more aggressive growth stocks. :)

NW-Bound >>> that is good stuff. I would be broke if I did my own trading/investing in the daily stock market. I know I wouldn't sleep at all. LOL

I do not trade everyday, but look because it is interesting, and I do not want to miss an opportunity. Most of my trades are selling options on stocks that I hold, and the options are usually 1 month out.

While I was in Alaska for that 2-month RV trek, I did not have the time to watch nor Internet access. The sectors that I watched went through some gyrations that would have caused me to trade. I missed the chance to make a couple of $K to help pay for that expensive gasoline.

I couldn't care less about daily fluctuations, I just read the monthly statement that comes in the mail.

Some people even advocate looking at it once a year.

The problem is if you do that, a hacker could liquidate your account and you don't know until a year later. :)

The problem is if you do that, a hacker could liquidate your account and you don't know until a year later. :)
It makes sense to review the transactions in one's accounts at least once a month. The EFTA gives accountholders 60 days from the date of the account statement to report an unauthorized transaction.

That's another reason I like having a "managed account", I can't even access my own dough with all the proper passwords needed. I have to call and tell them I want to sell some stock and they have to sell it and then send me the dough.

I can't collect my own dividends, I have them transfer every month to my checking account.

Hi everyone. Has anyone here used a robo 401k advisor such as Blooom.com? Just wondering what your thoughts are on it.

Will this trend persist? I don't know, but suspect my friend redduck who is heavy into dividend stocks will be OK in the days ahead. If the market tanks, he may still lose money, but lose less than others with more aggressive growth stocks. :)

Sit tight. Come the end of September I will report on my Dividend Stock Portfolio (which I'm considering putting up for sale on ebay).

I cannot not look! It's much more interesting to me than any sporting event. If I do not have any stake in something, how can I be interested?:)

Agree 100%. Plus, on a daily basis I will get a text from someone telling me what's going on. In my circle of friends, I am known as the investment guy now be it good or bad. As much as I post on ER I also post to my FB circle of friends with updates. And occasionally LI. I'm not ashamed to put that I managed over 2.5+mil in investments on my CV. That's an accomplishment that involves daily work.

Plus a lot of these questions come from family. Last week I heard all about tech, the fearful even came out claiming bubble. But their fear usually matches their risk appetite and I keep that into perspective.
I like being abreast daily. Especially with my own interests. I hold 6% of portfolio in AMZN via SCHG ETF/VFINX and 10% in AAPL via my own individual holdings + ETF / Index.
I definitely want those horses to run free and fast. Not knowing this means I am uninformed. Most common folk might hold an index but never really know "what they own". There was a time I was that guy, no way not anymore. Got a family that's gonna rely on my knowledge to succeed. can't risk not knowing.

I check it weekly and credit cards daily for mostly that reason.

I watch the markets daily but transactions I do not look at frequently. I happened to check this morning and noticed 12 atm withdrawals from a account where I do not use the debit card. Called my broker this morning, got the card cancelled and a promise that the withdrawals will be replaced. Now I need to look at the transactions weekly.

I picked up one of the Bogleheads Returns spreadsheets today (LibreCalc version) - YTD results ain't so hot, but one-year and overall portfolio results are all in a very nice space. Especially since I'm not just in an index. Officially, only 2.3% this year, if you're measuring.

Hi everyone. Has anyone here used a robo 401k advisor such as Blooom.com? Just wondering what your thoughts are on it.
I used Schwab's version of it and it autobalanced my legacy acct way way to often for me. Plus it had me in a lot of indexes. I measured it against the IRA with just 3 indexes and it underperformed

I watch the markets daily but transactions I do not look at frequently. I happened to check this morning and noticed 12 atm withdrawals from a account where I do not use the debit card. Called my broker this morning, got the card cancelled and a promise that the withdrawals will be replaced. Now I need to look at the transactions weekly.
I'd suggest setting up automatic texts and/or emails for ALL transactions. That way, there's no action required on your part, and if ANYTHING happens, you'll know it! I've done this for my Vanguard accounts and all credit card and bank accounts. Gives me peace of mind.

"I don't know, but suspect my friend redduck who is heavy into dividend stocks will be OK in the days ahead. If the market tanks, he may still lose money, but lose less than others with more aggressive growth stocks." I had some mutual funds that pay dividends in 2008-2009. While I lost more than a couple of Porsches in value, my dividends kept coming in my taxable accounts, and I kept paying taxes on those! That's when it hurts!

... I had some mutual funds that pay dividends in 2008-2009. While I lost more than a couple of Porsches in value, my dividends kept coming in my taxable accounts, and I kept paying taxes on those! That's when it hurts!

During that time, I sold a lot of stocks to realize the loss for tax purposes. Not wanting to be out of the market too long in case of a bounce, I bought something else in the same sector to avoid the wash sales rule.

If you do index, I don't know what you can do. Sell S&P, and buy back large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap separately? Maybe that can work, as the IRS does not have to time to check all that out with small investors.

I'd suggest setting up automatic texts and/or emails for ALL transactions. That way, there's no action required on your part, and if ANYTHING happens, you'll know it! I've done this for my Vanguard accounts and all credit card and bank accounts. Gives me peace of mind.

Thanks, They cancelled the card and sent a new one too Peru in 5 days. They replaced the funds and any associated cost's. I won't bother activating the new card,so this will never happen in the future. I get enough text messages as I am walking down the street and am considering tossing the smartphone as well. Anybody who knows me, knows where/when I hang out, so they can just come tell me in person. Depending on the time of day there will be a coffee or whiskey in it for them!

Back
Top Bottom