2020 Investment Performance Thread

Rules are rules. No peeking til March 32nd.
[emoji51]

Down 13% YTD at today's close.

I have not made any changes during the plummet except add SPY at 294, then again at 279, and again at 252.

Last edited:
Well today 3/13 was a good day in the market. I’m guessing I’m down about 14% but more importantly I’m sitting right at where I was at the end of 2018. So at this point all I’ve lost is what I “gained” in 2019. I can handle that and am hoping things will calm down now.

I'm down a lot, 90% equities, semi retired, but not stressing too much because I'm not tapping on my portfolio yet. Fingers crossed.

Down about 8%. Wellesley is the big nut in my basket, so I go as Wellesley goes.

Down 8% YTD. However it is closer to 10% since Feb 14 or so.

At the moment only in about 15-20% equities. And that is because I cannot sell them or I will lose my health insurance subsidy (income).

Not going back until I hear (as definitively as is possible) the virus has peaked.

I might miss the bottom this way, but I need all of the 92% I still have.

I was reviewing my numbers this morning and in $ terms a good chunk of my 2019 gains have been erased. I started 2019 with a 60/40 allocation and I'm within 2 points of that same allocation today. It's like a reset in some sense. Things will keep moving forward, in the short term stocks will go up and down and sideways quickly and slowly. I hope to be along for the ride for a long time.....fortunately my stress level since fire is considerably less overall in spite of this turmoil.

-5.5% as of Saturday morning. Still have 32x expenses. Retirement in T minus 4 months.

Last edited:
YTD -1.4%. From peak -2.8%. But have also increased equity position from 8% to 38% since the drop.

Last edited:
Down 8.3%. Sold a few positions on Thursday which probably was a mistake, but I wanted to lower my equity stake in the event we see further declines once the economic impact becomes reality.

I have sort of come to terms with the fact that we didn't manage to dodge this.

Best case, we have 3 or 4 years of easy cash before having to think about pulling from harder sources.

I really do feel that if the country has not managed to significantly recover from this in a year or three that something has gone terribly wrong and it might not matter significantly what your investments have done. There are too many things right now that are too big to fail. Too big to fail doesn't mean they can't fail, it means if they do fail, life in the USA will change, rapidly.

Oh, on thread topic...down about 14% YTD

Down 13% (more than $250k).

I’m not worried though since for some reason a few months ago we put $175,000 in those 3% and 3.5% CD’s. First CD’s in my life. So with this and our pensions we are good to go for at least 6 years without selling any stock funds.

Thank you ER forum for the tips!

I haven't looked, and I may not for a while :blink:

I took 1/3 of 2019 stock gains on Jan 14 and another 1/3 (what remained after the initial drop) on Feb 28 to lower the stock allocation to 52%.

Better to be lucky than good, but I'm still down about 8% (don't have access to Quicken so I can't tell exactly).
After I fly back from Dallas to Reno, tomorrow I'll plan some stock fund purchases for next week, in case we have more selling, to get the stock allocation back up to at least 48%, then keep buying after 5ish% drops.

-11.2% YTD 86/14.
-18.8% from high on Feb 20th.
Down a few 911 Turbos.

Last edited:
I am down 0.52% as of the close yesterday. That loss is all due to losing some of my bond premium which disappears when it matures in any case. I have an allocation of 19% cash and 81% individual corporate bonds and CDs. I'm not worried about any defaults at the moment in my bond portfolio and I was buying more bonds on Thursday and Friday. My CDs are FDIC insured and many of my bonds carry insurance against default. The world is not ending but many businesses in already weak sectors (energy, retail, leisure and entertainment) will not survive. This event will just accelerate their demise. This will be behind by the end of the year and we will have low interest rates for a long time. The yield curve is almost normalized so we should see a recovery in the not too distant future. The forward rates are at historic lows signalling that bond market doesn't see inflation as a threat. Moving forward it will be all about corporate and consumer deleveraging. The habits of many people are likely to change after this event. The equity market does not know how to price this so we will see a lot of volatility over the next few months.

Down about 11% YTD (AA: 55/45 when this started), which puts me back to about what I had 1 year ago.

Not happy, but not time to panic either (actually, is there ever a good time to panic?)

Back
Top Bottom