2022 Investment Performance Thread

As of yesterday I'm down a good 20% from my own personal high in mid December.

But this is why I started SS early at 62 this summer and have enough cash/upcoming dividends to hopefully keep me from having to sell low over the next year, maybe give things time to recover.

I did want to take advantage of falling home prices sometime next spring by converting $75K to cash before the end of this year and another $75K at the beginning of next year so I'd have $150K for a down payment but I'm afraid I may have missed the optimal opportunity to do that this year and will just wait now.

For the first time since the financial crisis I'm not updating mine this month. I'll do it at year-end but unless things pick up I'm not looking. My average W/D rate since I retired 8 years ago is a hair under 3.5% so I should be able to get through times like these. I'm pretty sure I still have more than I started with when I retired at 61.

A few months ago I liquidated some holdings that might not perform well over the near term, mostly tech-related, and I'm sitting in far more cash than usual, which will hold me over for the next couple of years at least before I have to sell anything or tap the IRA.

VERY glad I decided to start collecting SS on my own record at the beginning of this year when I turned 69- that was another $1,700/month before taxes.

I don't think it's helpful to analyze one year. This thread "2022 performance" is just that. It's not even a whole year. We're in the dumps right now, but if you stayed true to your AA, for over 3, 5, or 10 years should still be ok. Yes, inflation sucks, but anyone who LBYM can control that. In 2017, our NW was 30% lower than it is today. We were 100% according to Firecalc. in 2017. Still have not sold our 60% allocation in index funds, but plan to sometime in the future. Long term, they are still up.

It's hard to come down from the drunken New Year's party of 2021, but it is what it is.

I don't worry about the down times. I know markets go up and down so just have to wait it out for better times. There will be no change in how we live and any adjustments in investment AA. Life goes on and I do like to see how things look at the end of each month good or bad.

My plan going into retirement was to never have to rely on my investments to live on. I wanted a plan where I didn't have to sell in long bad times. So, I'm hopefully ready for the spiral down and looking forward to new growth and prosperity.

Last edited:
Good news!
I had already begun moving my AA from 60/40 towards 50/50, and now the market is giving me lots of help in that process. :D

As of 9/24/22

Down 16.94% YTD

Down 2.6% week to week.

Down 23.1% from all time high.

Down 18.5% for the last 12 months. We now have less in investment value than when we retired 23 months ago, by about 5.4%.

I'm down 7.8% ytd with 33/67. I'm a federal employee, and I have quite a bit in the G-fund. That seems to have helped.

I don't feel like looking at my numbers either. We had such a good run for a very long time, so I shouldn't feel too bad as I have more money now than when I retired seven years ago. But with this inflation, my buying power may have decreased some. Either way, I always used "Significantly below Market" to calculate my WR on the Fidelity planner, and my spending is still way below that, so I should feel comforted by that.

Last edited:
On our Schwab portfolio with an AA of 67/1/32 equity/bonds/cash we are..

YTD -13.48% ending August
YTD -18.73% ending September

September 2022 AA 36% Equities/ 45% Fixed Income/ 19% Cash

Month -4.06%
YTD -10.09%

This month bad for both bonds and stocks.

-18.9% The biggest one month drop, -6.1%, since retirement, except for the Covid drop, which was -10.4%.

Now is when posts to this thread get fewer, and a bit more 'creative'. Meanwhile, I'm off spending money on fancy travel (shrug).

YTD: -16.5%, Sept: -4.8% Ugh.
Asset Allocation as of 9/24 was about 47% equities, 48% fixed, 5% PM/Commodities. Equities likely to be slightly lower now due to this weeks debacle. Fixed remains highly concentrated in short term or inflation adjusted instruments.

Agree on sengsational's post, this thread will likely see a downturn in post activity.

Down 16.2% as of yesterday. But, as of this morning, quarterly and monthly dividends (which are our primary income source) are up 10% from last year.

Now I'm waiting for MF year-end dividends and cap gains. Preliminaries are due in about 15 days and cap gains could be a disappointment as we also rely on them for income.

My main concern is, with the Fed actions, high inflation and Ukraine if "this time is different" from the past 15 years or so. It just seems like a whole different investment world all of a sudden. I've only been DIY for the past 18 years or so and before that never paid much attention. Low rates and low inflation is all I've known investing-wise.

Yes, I held on and did nothing during '08/'09 and made a nice profit taking advantage of '20s debacle, but this just seems to have a different feel.

Here's the latest...

1/31/2022: -5.07% YTD
2/28/2022: -7.26% YTD
3/31/2022: -4.98% YTD
4/29/2022: -13.11% YTD
5/31/2022: -13.55% YTD
6/30/2022: -20.87 YTD
7/29/2022: -13.54% YTD
8/31/2022: -17.33% YTD
9/30/2022: -25.27% YTD

Ouch.

10/01/22 down an even 21%. ~80/20 AA.

Two thoughts occurred to me (on the lighter side ) as I was reading the last few pages of this thread. (Sorry if this is a re-post, it's early for me)

(1) Why aren't folks posting these huge losses in their portfolios in the "blown that dough" thread.? :LOL: (Joke) Hey we all need a little laugh about this.

(2) For those who have lost a lot in their tax deferred accounts (tIRA's, 401k's, etc), look at it this way, your RMD's will be a lower, and the government will get less of your money in taxes. :)

-16.6% IRR so far this year.

AA 40/50/10

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom