2022 Investment Performance Thread

Jan: -8.62% as interest rates are on the move, FOMC rate hike talk, Ukrainian invasion fears, and Omicron Virus continues to run rampant.
Feb: -11.48% What goes up, must come down? Lots of uncertainty, I know I am feeling the same as the market. A sad month for some indeed as the war machine moves on. If I look at the longer term 8yr avg it makes me "feel better' averaging +27% returns.
Mar: -9% This time isn't different Was a fun little "whee" ride this month
Apr: -19.66% Ready for us to move forward, instead of two steps back
May: -21.8% Here's hoping for a better month in the markets
June: -28.5% I can't believe it's July already. How low can we go?
July: -19% Hey, at least I am beating the Nasdaq
August: -22.6% Wheee.
September: -31% SUPER WHEE!!

That was an ugly month. -22.10 % ytd AA 85/15

-21.3% YTD. AA approx 60/40 with the 40 being long duration bond funds

Down 10.05% as of 9/30. Portfolio consists of Individual Dividend Stocks-69%, Equity Funds-3%, Individual Bonds, Preferred stocks and a little cash - 28%. Best thing about this approach is that even though I've lost principal, my portfolio keeps kicking out cash (currently 4.56%)

Perhaps we need a new thread where we post 5 year returns. That might make us feel better, especially compared to the 100% cash folks. :)
A good idea, actually. Even my 3-year returns are good, so that makes me feel a little better...

Down. I don't have one of those Quicken type programs, and there has been a lot of rolling around in the last three years for back door Roth; and eventually 401k to IRA, so it's difficult for me to get a precise number over time, but definitely down.

Through 9/30, down about 9% with currently a 32/49/19 AA.

Down about 13% on a 40/60 portfolio.

YTD down 21.8% on 81/14/5 portfolio.

I guess I wasn't spending it anyway with my 0% WR.

Down 15% YTD on 50/50

Didn't feel like running the numbers this month, last time I skipped running the numbers was Mar 2009 which was the bottom. Fingers crossed.

Investment balance down 17.0% YTD on 74/20/6 AA. It's a bit worse than that because we are still accumulating.

We are roughly back to where we were around the middle of 2021. Back then we were about 8% above our glideslope. Today we are about 12% below it.

Down 14% YTD as of 9/30. AA 50/50. but looking considerably better after 10/3 & 10/4 market results. YTD -11%.

7.2% YTD, but much of that has been from selling rental properties in a VERY HOT market...values have skyrocketed here. On other investments it's more like 2.2%, which is not bad given the markets. We are heavily invested in fixed investments.

Oct 30th: MTD +3.7%, YTD -13.2% About 48% equities, 5% PM's, 48% Fixed (all TIPS or short term)

If I get a chance, will update with slightly worse end of October data, looks like I was down about 0.5% or so today (but perhaps a bit less overall as that is looking at accounts with equities and some of the fixed).

We will never understand why people look at monthly and yearly returns. I compare results to my Financial Plan to age 100. Doing fine so far. Substantially ahead of plan! A couple of setbacks but nothing to put us off our plan.

If we enter a bear market, it might get bad but these reversals are just noise!

Jan: -8.62% as interest rates are on the move, FOMC rate hike talk, Ukrainian invasion fears, and Omicron Virus continues to run rampant.
Feb: -11.48% What goes up, must come down? Lots of uncertainty, I know I am feeling the same as the market. A sad month for some indeed as the war machine moves on. If I look at the longer term 8yr avg it makes me "feel better' averaging +27% returns.
Mar: -9% This time isn't different Was a fun little "whee" ride this month
Apr: -19.66% Ready for us to move forward, instead of two steps back
May: -21.8% Here's hoping for a better month in the markets
June: -28.5% I can't believe it's July already. How low can we go?
July: -19% Hey, at least I am beating the Nasdaq
August: -22.6% Wheee.
September: -31% SUPER WHEE!!
October: -25.4% Who's ready for some more rate hikes? Happy Halloween!

Jan 31 YTD -4.18%, stock AA 78.0%
Feb 28 YTD -3.22%, stock AA 73.8%.
Mar 31 YTD -0.18%, stock AA 74.7%
Apr 30 YTD -7.57%, stock AA 74.6%
May 31 YTD: -4.44%, stock AA 72.4%
Jun 30 YTD: -12.2%, stock AA 70.8%
Jul 29 YTD: -7.64%, stock AA 71.6%
Aug 31 YTD: -10.42%, stock AA 68.0%
Sep 30 YTD: -17.6%, stock AA 73.2%

Oct 31 YTD: -11.8%, stock AA about 60%

We will never understand why people look at monthly and yearly returns. I compare results to my Financial Plan to age 100. Doing fine so far. Substantially ahead of plan! A couple of setbacks but nothing to put us off our plan.

If we enter a bear market, it might get bad but these reversals are just noise!

I look at my portfolio daily because I am an active investor. Like a car driver, I need to know where my car is headed.

I guess passive investors like to look at their portfolio for entertainment values. It's the same as people who watch sport games, although the game outcomes have no bearing on their life, unlike the value of their stash.

Last edited:
As of 1-Nov-22 we are down <-12.90%> from 1-Jan-22.

Current Asset Allocation is 46.7% Equities, 31.0% Bonds, 22.3% Cash

We're still Holding Fast....

On our Schwab portfolio with an AA of 67/1/32 equity/bonds/cash we are..

YTD -13.48% ending August
YTD -18.73% ending September
YTD -14.60% ending October

Back
Top Bottom