2023 Daytona 500 and NASCAR

Car-Guy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm not sure anyone still cares, particularly here, but are you going to watch the Daytona 500 tomorrow? And if so, who will you be rooting for?

Honestly, my interest level in NASCAR has dropped off a lot in the past decade+ (due to endless rule changes, type of cars and drivers) but that's another story.

"IMO" The Daytona 500 ranks up there with "events" like the Superbowl, Indy 500 and the World Series here in the US (YMMV), so I'll watch it but it may be the only NASCAR race I watch this season.

Another plus is Jimmie Johnson is back for this race and I'll be rooting for him. I even bet $100 on him to win at 50 to 1 odds... Talk about a long shot.

I'm not sure anyone still cares, particularly here, but are you going to watch the Daytona 500 tomorrow? And if so, who will you be rooting for?

Honestly, my interest level in NASCAR has dropped off a lot in the past decade+ (due to endless rule changes, type of cars and drivers) but that's another story.

"IMO" The Daytona 500 ranks up there with "events" like the Superbowl, Indy 500 and the World Series here in the US (YMMV), so I'll watch it but it may be the only NASCAR race I watch this season.

Another plus is Jimmie Johnson is back for this race and I'll be rooting for him. I even bet $100 on him to win at 50 to 1 odds... Talk about a long shot.

Funny you mention Jimmie Johnson being back as a "plus". Him winning endlessly is why I stopped watching quite a few years ago. I can only watch sporting events live with no pausing, ect. The only way I would watch the 500 is if I had a DVR so I could fast forward until there are crashes and then rewatch those a few times.

Many years ago, I would have watched the whole race. Now I record it and fast forward through the green flag racing which is generally boring, watch the cautions and the last 25 laps. That's enough. Not rooting for anyone in particular.

A few years ago when Dillon wrecked the leader on the last lap, went on to win and wasn't penalized I pretty much stopped watching NASCAR. Wrecking a competitor out of the lead isn't racing IMO, if you can find a way to pass him then you don't deserve to win. Wiggle him a tad and pass him, ok: run him off the track ain't racing in my book. I'm done with NASCAR.

Last edited:
Funny you mention Jimmie Johnson being back as a "plus". Him winning endlessly is why I stopped watching quite a few years ago. I can only watch sporting events live with no pausing, ect. The only way I would watch the 500 is if I had a DVR so I could fast forward until there are crashes and then rewatch those a few times.
Well you should have watched him racing Indy cars the past couple of years... He was so bad he was usually fighting for last place most races. Maybe he'll do better back in a NASCAR race. Or maybe he's just over the hill. To bad. He was my favorite driver since Dale Earnhardt (sr).

I’ll definitely be watching it. One of the years sports highlights for me. I do admit that my interest has waned in recent years. Some of the rules changes have contributed to that. But if I really think about it, it began when Dale Earnhardt died. But not because I liked him. I always rooted for everyone else in the race! But once he was lost, it just lost some passion for me.

I guess if I have to pick one, I’ll go with Chase Elliott.

what is it going to be like in 10 years or so when everything is electric? Doesn't seem the same not to have that huge roar of cars going by...it will just be a soft whrrr.

what is it going to be like in 10 years or so when everything is electric? Doesn't seem the same not to have that huge roar of cars going by...it will just be a soft whrrr.

At least the drivers will get a 30 minutes lunch break while they wait for the battery to charge so they can finish the race.

I worked for DuPont for 30+ years and had a very good time watching Jeff Gordon in the races. Since he retired, I watched Jimmy Johnson a bit, since Jeff was the car owner, but we have pretty much stopped following it for several years now. It is just not the same when you do not have a connection with a driver.

You can get a Tesla with exterior sound system that emulates a loud V8 based on your foot position on the pedal.
They'll use those in the new Electric Daytona, where they swap out a portion of the batteries at each pit stop...

i hate left turn only racing....

F1 and WRC for me....
I think a lot of folks are tried of so much oval racing (of various lengths/layouts) and that's why NASACR has added more road race courses to the schedule. I haven't checked but I think they have 5 or 6 planned for this year.

But I agree, I much prefer F1 and Indy car racing these days. Although it seems they both have a few top drivers that always seem to win.

I was a true fan back in the days of real Racing in NASCAR, Atlanta, Talledaga,Charlotte,Bristol, and the grand daddy Daytona! But through the years and the rule changes along with a bunch of namby pamby drivers I have given up on it. It is more fun to watch paint dry now than to watch NASCAR!

I was a true fan back in the days of real Racing in NASCAR, Atlanta, Talledaga,Charlotte,Bristol, and the grand daddy Daytona! But through the years and the rule changes along with a bunch of namby pamby drivers I have given up on it. It is more fun to watch paint dry now than to watch NASCAR!
Yep, it was great when stock cars were stock cars (albeit souped up). Today, "there ain't nothing stock about a stock car". :) And the passion (fights) during and after the races made it interesting. Today it's a bunch of whining.

And all the stupid rules (well most of them) have ruined the sport... Same with football.

Last edited:
I cannot understand why folks like to sit in stands and watch cars going round and round and round and round and round Etc., Etc., Etc. To me it is as boring as anything can get.

As lads we used to go to Silverstone and Brands hatch in the UK. We would go the night before camp out with out friends at the racetrack (in those days we could), then the next day we would visit all the pits before the races started (we could do that too). During the races we would sit around getting bored until a couple of hours before the races ended then leave. My point is we were not there for the race itself, just the camping and looking at the cars in the pits parts.

I even get fed up watch the races on TV. A good hockey or football (Soccer) game is more interesting. JMHO

I am sure there is a lot more to it, but like American football (or Handball as we call it), we have never got into it. After 40 years in the US one would think we would be brainwashed into them by now.

Yep, it was great when stock cars were stock cars (albeit souped up). Today, "there ain't nothing stock about a stock car". :) And the passion (fights) during and after the races made it interesting. Today it's a bunch of whining.

The rules today deliberately make it so equal there is nothing like the old days of manufacturer vs manufacturer. Almost the only thing different about the cars is the outside appearance paint/advertising stickers. Except for the engine, the rest of the car is all essentially the same between any of them. With all the parity rules, it becomes more a race of attrition and accident avoidance it seems. Sure the car setup and driver skills have an effect, but it really is a race of survival until the end; not getting caught up in a wreck.

^^^^^
I'd say they are pretty equal... 40 cars/drivers with only .672 seconds separating them in qualifying, top to bottom.

I even get fed up watch the races on TV. A good hockey or football (Soccer) game is more interesting. JMHO

I am sure there is a lot more to it, but like American football (or Handball as we call it), we have never got into it. After 40 years in the US one would think we would be brainwashed into them by now.

Soccer and hockey bore me to death. I don't watch them.

I used to watch NASCAR 22 years ago. I was familiar with all the drivers and what car they drove. My driver got killed that year in the Daytona 500, and I really haven't watched it much at all since. So, I will not be watching the Daytona 500.

Only NFL football for me. But I time shift the games so that I can skip commercials and some of the dead ball time so it doesn't take up as much time to watch, plus I've been cutting back on watching as many games.

I haven't watched either of the 500's for many years. Spent a few 'Speed Weeks' in Daytona when I was younger and more interested. I don't know any of the drivers anymore.

NASCAR just never appealed to me being a road course guy, but when they run at Watkins Glen I can turn that on.

NASCAR just never appealed to me being a road course guy, but when they run at Watkins Glen I can turn that on.

This year they have Watkins Glen, Sonoma, Chicago Street course, Indy Road course and Circuit of the Americas in the Cup series. IIRC. Maybe one or two more.

Last edited:
Well Jimmie Johnson didn't win but he did do well.. If he hadn't got caught up in one of the late race crashes, he may have had a shot at the win. In anycase, I was still glad to see that Rick Stenhouse took the win.

Like DrRoy, I got seriously into NASCAR when working for DuPont and Jeff Gordon was a rising star and have continued to follow it pretty steadily although I don't really have a single favorite driver these days. I've been to a few races in person, including part of the 2020 Daytona 500 (it rained several times and had to be finished on Monday and I didn't want to BTD on a new flight home). It's quite a different experience in person. Now that they are racing at COTA every year, that's my jam. Road courses are definitely more interesting, the grounds there are spectacular, and it's less than an hour from home. Also, the general admission tickets are reasonable and there are plenty of great places to watch sitting on the grass (with or without a lawn chair).

Back
Top Bottom