$250-$750 Practical Gift

clobber

Recycles dryer sheets
Looking to give a gift to relatives who have recently helped us out (non-monetary). Would like to find something really nice and practical. Only idea I can come up with is a nice espresso machine. Currently doing some recon on their coffee drinking habits.

Anyone have other good ideas?

Cash or an Amazon gift certificate with a nice thank you card is the most practical - they can get whatever they need/want/like, and it will be appreciated. If you really have something against that, then tell them that you want to get them something, ask what they'd like/appreciate, and let them tell you.

If you choose to go your route and just get them something, include a gift receipt and be absolutely certain it can be returned if they don't want/like it.

That's what I would do, in that order.

In that price range I would immediately think of good tools as a practical gift. If you’re thinking something for the kitchen, we have a pasta maker that is a fantastic addition. A good food processor/mixer or good kitchen knives if they don’t have them. Or a nice set of all clad.

In that price range I would immediately think of good tools as a practical gift. If you’re thinking something for the kitchen, we have a pasta maker that is a fantastic addition. A good food processor/mixer or good kitchen knives if they don’t have them. Or a nice set of all clad.

Yeah, if they don’t have a Vitamix or Blentec blender, that would be a great gift. The coffee machine is also a good idea. It’s just that you need to know if these folks are coffee aficionados or foodies . . . Maybe there’s a family member that knows them better if you’re not sure?

Personally I don’t like when people buy me material items as gifts. It’s never something I would buy for myself nor want or need. But I always appreciate gift certificates to my favorite restaurant. Everyone likes to eat out now and then and they can choose to use it on just themselves or invite friends to join them at the restaurant.

Cash or an Amazon gift certificate with a nice thank you card is the most practical - they can get whatever they need/want/like, and it will be appreciated. If you really have something against that, then tell them that you want to get them something, ask what they'd like/appreciate, and let them tell you.

If you choose to go your route and just get them something, include a gift receipt and be absolutely certain it can be returned if they don't want/like it.

That's what I would do, in that order.
This.

We have too much 'stuff' already, so if we were recipients would probably suggest a gift to a charity. Having to deal with something like an espresso machine would be a huge downer.

Personally I don’t like when people buy me material items as gifts. It’s never something I would buy for myself nor want or need.

I agree.

But I always appreciate gift certificates to my favorite restaurant. Everyone likes to eat out now and then and they can choose to use it on just themselves or invite friends to join them at the restaurant.
The restaurant works as does the Amazon gift card.

I would go with the gift card to Amazon or a gas gift card, or even a plain visa gift card, or Costco/Sam's if they are members.

A big danger in getting a thing, is that if they really really wanted one, they would already have it. It's possible they already ruled out a complex coffee machine for reasons like : too hard to clean, too slow, etc.

We were given Sam's gift cards as we helped out some folks, and accepting the small amount made them feel good, and was easy to spend.

What about having a Chef come to their house and prepare them a fancy meal? Friend gave me a gift of this one time and I loved it.

For a less expensive gift there is Caramel Cake ordered from Caroline's Cakes--yum yum

It may not be practical, but many times I have given people something consumable.

Examples include a beef loin, half a hog and a case of fine whiskey that they wouldn't normally purchase for themselves. Another favorite aunt gets gift cards to the local gas station. Another friend would get a gift certificate for a motel & restaurant in the city where they're child was going to college so they could stay when they visited her.

I have received some unique gifts from people that I have helped and refused to take money. One friend gave me a wood pellet stove, I didn't have one and he knew how much I liked wood smoked meat. He also knew I was too cheap to spend $500 on one. I have another friend who comes out to my place in the woods when he needs a break. He camps nearby and uses my bathroom. He didn't like my "efficient" toilet (we have well water, so efficiency isn't a big issue) so one time when he came to visit he brought a class 5 toilet and installed it for me. One of the best gifts I've ever received.

I'm not suggesting either of these two, although they're in your price range and I appreciate them very much. I'd suggest something consumable that you know they'd use up.

Hiring a chef for a special dinner sounds like a great gift. Same with food gifts suggested by Stormy Kromer. These can be things people would enjoy but never buy for themselves. A lobster or crab dinner with all the fixings.

A friend of ours received as a gift a Louisiana crawfish boil, which they shared with us. It was most enjoyable. The package, shipped overnight delivery, included crawfish, seasonings, corn on the cob, a large pot to prepare it, and easy to follow instructions.

Finding the right gift is hard. As someone who has failed at this task at times, I can definitely say it is hard.

You have received some good suggestions. In the kitchen equipment line...do they have a Kitchen Aid mixer? They are real workhorses and hold up well. I inherited mine from my mother and it is about 50 years old.

Consumables are good because many of us are at a stage in like where we need to get rid of stuff, not get more stuff. I know you want practical but there is something nice about a gift that the recipient would not buy for themself, but would enjoy. While a gift card for a nice restaurant is not as practical as a gift card for gasoline, it is a nice gift.

Unless the recipient is needy, I would aim for something that seems like a small splurge. For example, one time my sister gave me a Trader Joe’s gift certificate. I thanked her for it, but I thought to myself “hey I don’t need grocery money.” Then I remembered TJ’s flowers. I spent the gift card only on flowers. I would stop in and pick up an inexpensive bouquet when I wanted a little pick me up. Now, I could well have afforded those bouquets myself, but probably wouldn’t have bought them.

That price range would cover a night or two at a nice hotel. Perhaps a gift card for a chain that they have mentioned having points with - like Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, as they have properties at varying price points and everywhere.

The chef thing sounds cool but I'm not sure I'd want someone in my kitchen without feeling first like I had to make it showroom spotless.

Either way I'd probably stay in the gift card lane. But going with something specialized (ie, if they are into kitchen stuff, William-Sonoma, etc.)

I also don't like receiving material gifts unless it is something I specifically asked for.

What about something experiential rather than material? A couple of suggestions have already been made. Is there something they enjoy doing? A cooking class maybe. No live theater yet or else I'd suggest show tickets. How about a couples spa day if that's something they'd be into. A weekend getaway is a great idea too with hotel and dining covered (though dining is iffy depending on locale and their feelings about eating out currently).

Can make a recommendation about coffee, we do not drink coffee. We have re-gifted any coffee-related presents we have received :).

I would find out the places they like to shop at and give them a gift card (or cards) to them.

If they like to go out, you can also add in "dinner and a movie" gift cards.

Hard to tell without more information on the recipient.

That said, we just returned from the first show that we have seen in over a year, so if they like that sort of thing, perhaps some tickets to a show or play along with a gift certificate for dinner nearby.

We love our super automatic coffee machine, a Jura Ena Micro 1. About $800. Grinds the beans loads the cup and shoots the water through. Wonderful!

But make sure they like coffee first eh?

we've been given wine...ww don't drink. tickets to a show...depends on the show, who's in it and the subject matter. gift cards or cash always work.

Back
Top Bottom