$250 VA Payments to Vets

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Received this info from MOAA. If you are receiving VA benefits, or know someone who is, this should interest you and yours. There are probably spamers and scamers out there, but it appears that no application is necessary.

VA Begins $250 Payments to Veterans
2009/06/30 10:00:00

As part of the national recovery plan, VA is making one-time payments of $250 to eligible veterans and survivors to offset the effects of the current economy. The VA estimates $500 million in payments will be made to approximately 1.9 million veterans and eligible beneficiaries as part of this measure. The first payments were sent Monday, June 22. All payments will be distributed by June 30.

This payment is not countable in determining eligibility for VA pension or parents’ dependency and indemnity compensation (DIC). The law allows one $250 tax-free payment per person. VA beneficiaries who also receive benefits from the Social Security Administration or Railroad Retirement Board will be paid through those agencies and will not receive the payment from VA.

To be eligible for the payment, VA beneficiaries must have received VA’s compensation, pension, DIC, or spina bifida benefits at any time between November 2008 and January 2009. Beneficiaries also must reside within the U.S. or its territories.

No application is necessary. VA used its existing payment records to determine eligibility for the $250 payment. Beneficiaries will receive their payments the same way they receive their monthly VA benefits — either by direct deposit or in the mail.

The VA’s Web site provides additional information about how the VA handles recovery act funds to benefit veterans.

This is the first I've heard of this. I guess I need to check my account for a deposit. :)

So payable to anyone who ever served, or career vets? I looked at the VA website and could not decipher.

My dad is gone, but my mom would get a payment as a survivor:confused:

So payable to anyone who ever served, or career vets? I looked at the VA website and could not decipher.

My dad is gone, but my mom would get a payment as a survivor:confused:

I believe it's for any living vet that is drawing VA disability!

Mike

Wrigley is right- a little more searching, and here is what I found:

Who is eligible for the $250 Stimulus Payment?

The $250 government stimulus check is for:
  • Retirees, disabled individuals and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients receiving benefits from the Social Security Administration.
  • Disabled veterans receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Railroad Retirement beneficiaries.
This is a one time check that will be sent out in 2009. As of this writing, there are no plans to make this check available in 2010 or beyond.
VA Disability Beneficiaries stimulus check information

If you receive disability benefits from the VA, you will be among the thousands of individuals receiving this $250 stimulus check. Here is the information you need to know:
  • You will receive a one time $250 check.
  • You will receive the payment in the same method you receive your regular disability payment (direct deposit or physical check).
  • Your $250 stimulus payment will not be included in your regular VA disability payment.
  • The $250 stimulus check is not considered taxable income.
  • The $250 stimulus check will not affect your disability rating or benefits.
  • Your check may be used to offset debts owed to federal or state agencies (back taxes, child support, etc.).
  • You can only receive one $250 stimulus payment, even if you are eligible for more than one payment, such as from Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI)m or the Railroad Retirement Board. If you receive more than one check you will need to return it, or it will be taken from your account at a later date.
When will you receive your $250 stimulus check?

Disabled veterans should receive their payment by July 10, 2009. If you do not receive it by then, you should contact the Veterans Affairs Administration by e-mail, letter, or phone. Be sure to include your VA file number (usually SSN) when you contact them. Here is the contact information:
  • Internet: https://iris.va.gov
  • Phone: 1-800-827-1000, or 1-800-829-4833 (TDD)
  • Mail: Department of Veterans Affairs, 1240 E 9th St, Cleveland OH, 44199
For more information about the $250 stimulus payment, check out the following websites:

We got 2 checks! One for me and one for my wife. :)

Back
Top Bottom