27 years old buying pension credits follow up

namesbond

Dryer sheet wannabe
I work for state government an originally reached out to this forum 7 years ago about whether to buy 5 years of service. The original thread has been archived so I just thought I would post a new followup topic. Maybe it will inspire other young pension workers to by years of service.

8/14/2013
I currently have just over 4 years of service with a state agency. I'm fully vested and our pension is well funded and will most likely be well funded for the next 15 years atleast because of natural resources. So I want everyone to treat my question as if there isn't any doubt the pension fund will stay solvent eventhough I'm fully aware what can happen. I am currently 27 years old and have the opportunity to purchase 5 years of service credit for $14,500 at 8% interest . Our formula for determining our pension payment is (years of service * 2%) * highest average salary over last 3 years of service. If I were to leave before the rule of 85 I would receive this payment beginning at 65 years old with no inflation adjustment. I currently make $3,391 per month.

So I'm currently looking at 8% * 3391 = $271.28 per month at age 65

With 5 more years 18% * 3391 = $610.38 per month at age 65

For some background I have $32,000 in my Roth IRA and $3,000 in Deferred Comp fund.

I have very little expenses and think I can max out my Roth and pay a large chunk of the $14,500 very quickly. I want to do this to suppliment my investing. I see it as diversification. It also decreases my rule of 85 to 50 years old if I manage to enjoy state employment for that long which is possible since there are many state agencies I could work for. The idea of investing in myself is also enticing since I would receive a higher benefit based on each year I keep my employment and everytime I get a raise.

Is it a good idea? I alway read about people purchasing service credits at the end to retire early often paying $90,000 or more. Does it make more sense to do when you are young?

4/28/2016
I thought it might be fun to post a follow up to this a couple years later. The pension years have been paid off for awhile now. I currently have 11 years 7 months of service so I'm looking at a $833.68 per month benefit at age 65 on a average salary of $3,598.61. My current salary is $3,873.00. Currently, I have $50,000 in equity on my $120,000 condo, 12 grand in my roth ira, 12 grand in my deferred comp, 5 grand in my HSA, and my pension which currently has a cash value of $38,267.36 so my focus is currently on my 4% match in deferred comp, maxing out HSA, and maxing out the Roth IRA. I'm trying to get my index funds up since I used a lot of my Roth IRA to purchase my condo using the first time home buyer exemption.

8/16/2020
So it is 7 years later. I still work for state government but have switched employers. I currently have about 16 years of service with a pension payout of $1,360.21 per month. Next month I get a salary increase where I will be earning just under $5,000 per month. I know in the original thread I was told $4,000.00 per month earnings was my break even point so I have surpassed that!

My pension balance is currently $77,711.03. I have $72,774.28 in equity in my $120,000.00 condo. My HSA, Roth IRA, and Deferred Comp accounts add up to $83,231.40 in investments. I pretty much have a 1/3 mix of pension, home equity, and index funds.

I also switched jobs while covid happened so it scared the heck out of me to where I paid off my car and credit cards so my mortgage is my only debt. I'm not quite comfortable at my new job yet but I'm getting there!

Last edited:
Congratulations on buying those years early and cheap. DH has friends that had to pay $120k for 5 years.

2% at 30 years means you will have 60% of your income for life once you retire, and you will only have to put in 25 years!

Great job! Keep up the great work!

Awesome job. Great move on your part. I'm taking my pension this year at 52 and not looking back.

Smart...to buy those years at that price.

Well done!

Agree, that was a smart financial decision on your part buying the 5 years credit for the sale price.

Namesbond, Did you purchase your years with after tax or transferred pretaxed dollars? I bought 5 years for about 85k but it effectively paid itself back in higher pension checks in about 5 years. Anyways I bought one of the years in after tax dollars. I should have bought all 5 that way because that segment of my pension is never considered “taxable”. So I only have a couple thousand of my pension returned annually tax free. It could have been considerably more.

I used after tax dollars! I never knew about that.

Namesbond, Im assuming you will fall under same standards, so that part of your pension should be forever “tax free” which is nice. I forget what the proper term is, but in unrelated terminology in investing terms its considered “return on capital”. In other words you have already been taxed on that money so it wont be taxed again. They kind of prorate it over your projected life expectancy at retirement.

Back
Top Bottom