33y/o married, $900K investable assets, free house, can I retire?

Hi all - After reading Jacob Lund Fisker's book Early Retirement Extreme, I've been enlightened :)

I hardly ever check the dates of posting, so I didn't realize your original post was that old until I start reading your *update*:D. Glad I didn't press 'reply' button after reading the original post. I agree that you made a great choice with 'sticking around' at your work at such a fantastic salary. And it looks like that it rewarded you financially. But I do agree with pb4uski that you might want to investigate whether your stock options/grants have vested in order to unload some. What's the percentage of your total assets in your employer's stock? You might be riding a much riskier roulette than you realize given such wonderful increase in value. Don't get blinded by it. I'd be nervous if I were you.
Congrats on the baby. Considering the education inflation in this country I feel bad for children (including mine). You might want to consider starting a 529 account. If you really don't feel like helping your kids you can use for your own education when you don't work and don't know what to do with your time. Just an idea.

BTW, re the quote about Jacob Fisker, I remember I was fascinated by his 'extreme retirement' until I learned he supposedly got an offer he couldn't refuse. People still quote him today, etc. but they forget that he went to a FT job. It makes me wonder if he was really approached with an offer (some fancy title/work in physics)or he was looking for a job as he got tired of his 'extremes'. He hasn't updated about his status ever since if I'm not wrongh. I find MMM more original though I don't read/follow him either.

Thanks for the update and congrats on the upcoming baby! I think you'll be glad you've built a bigger security net when you consider all the various options you may want with respect to your family. The bigger security net will also give you options to fund the post FIRE projects you may want to pursue - especially if they're not income producing right away.

My main point in reading your earlier posts is probably moot now. I was questioning whether your spouse would be ok continuing to work if you FIREd early, but based on your post, it sounds like she'll be staying home with your child for the immediate future.

If you still have the option of taking a sabbatical every so often, that's a wonderful benefit. it gives you a chance to explore what your post FIRE life may be, while still preserving options. Congrats again!
Thanks Katiek for your warm message! I'm taking a long maternity leave starting in Feb (6 mos) so I'm treating it a bit like a mini-sabbatical. Granted I think it will be a very different sabbatical than the kinds I've had in the past, but it will be a different kind of work than my desk job for sure (and hopefully much more rewarding!) Then will put my nose to the grindstone for another 2 years or so!

Back
Top Bottom